Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Can I ask what you are going to use for a degaussing cable ?
By the way, check Adlers Nest webisite:
http://www.adlersnest.com/
It has some wonderfull bollards and other goodies for IJN Battleships.
By the way, check Adlers Nest webisite:
http://www.adlersnest.com/
It has some wonderfull bollards and other goodies for IJN Battleships.
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Styrene strips with cut channel styrene for the degaussing cable.
Those bollards look nice but they dont carry them in 1/200.
Those bollards look nice but they dont carry them in 1/200.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Well I have use the 1/700 for my IJN Battleships(also for some other projects) and indeed are neat.
I have been informed that they are planning a 1/200 release.
I have been informed that they are planning a 1/200 release.
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
If they release them I will get them. My poor bollards have been cut off my deck.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
By the way, Hobby Link Japan got some 1/700 goddies from Adlers Nest, link:
http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljlist?Mak ... Scale2=700
http://www.hlj.com/cgi-perl/hljlist?Mak ... Scale2=700
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Takara "See-Through" 1/700 Yamato
Hi all.
Recently I managed to get my hands on a small number of the 1944 and 1945 versions of these very well-done models. If anyone wants one just PM me. I am selling them on ebay, but will offer them at cost to anyone around here who wants one.
Pictures can be seen on my ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT
Recently I managed to get my hands on a small number of the 1944 and 1945 versions of these very well-done models. If anyone wants one just PM me. I am selling them on ebay, but will offer them at cost to anyone around here who wants one.
Pictures can be seen on my ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- sgtryan13
- Posts: 2651
- Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Takara "See-Through" 1/700 Yamato
bucketfoot-al wrote:Hi all.
Recently I managed to get my hands on a small number of the 1944 and 1945 versions of these very well-done models. If anyone wants one just PM me. I am selling them on ebay, but will offer them at cost to anyone around here who wants one.
Pictures can be seen on my ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT
I am not interested in these myself, but just wanted to say that it was a classy gesture offering them at cost to modelers on here, well done.
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
-
Haanaya
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:53 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hi all,
Another question, I have recently purchased a set of plans form Ebay, not too good for close detail but fine for general config, etc, but I wondered if the TAUBMAN plans are a lot better, they are a lot of money so I want to be sure they are going to be worth the outlay. (It's going to be hard enough to convince the wife I need more 'bits of paper' in the first place, without explaining the price for plans for a 'toy')
Again, any help or opinion muchly appreciated, if I start this monster I'll keep everyone posted.
Another question, I have recently purchased a set of plans form Ebay, not too good for close detail but fine for general config, etc, but I wondered if the TAUBMAN plans are a lot better, they are a lot of money so I want to be sure they are going to be worth the outlay. (It's going to be hard enough to convince the wife I need more 'bits of paper' in the first place, without explaining the price for plans for a 'toy')
Again, any help or opinion muchly appreciated, if I start this monster I'll keep everyone posted.
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The Super IJN Yamato in 1/500 by Fujimi is out, link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10144602
It has the 51 cm main guns plus (super molded!)10 cm DP guns, but the kit still has the 36 cm and the 12,7 cm DP guns so you can build both(Normal IJN Yamato and Super IJN Yamato).
Edit:Or you can use the 46 cm main guns and the 10 cm DP guns to represent IJN Shinano and the Number 111 unnamed 4th IJN Yamato class (for the 5th IJN Yamato class, warship number 797, you need to replace all the 155mm secondary guns).
Enjoy !
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10144602
It has the 51 cm main guns plus (super molded!)10 cm DP guns, but the kit still has the 36 cm and the 12,7 cm DP guns so you can build both(Normal IJN Yamato and Super IJN Yamato).
Edit:Or you can use the 46 cm main guns and the 10 cm DP guns to represent IJN Shinano and the Number 111 unnamed 4th IJN Yamato class (for the 5th IJN Yamato class, warship number 797, you need to replace all the 155mm secondary guns).
Enjoy !
Last edited by Atma on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Super Yamato...the 18.1" guns were big enough...
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Just imagine the blast from a 51 cm gun, not happy for the poor crews of the open 25 mm AA guns 
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Degaussing Cable
Here is my attempt at a degaussing cable for my 1/200 Yamato. I used 2.5 mm half round styrene (which I wouldn't recommend) and 1/8" channel styrene cut to 1/16" width. I had problems cutting the channel styrene since all I had were scissors and the channel area curved out as a result (guess I need one of those Choppers). I thought it would fit snug on the half rod but it didnt. Use the 1/8" channel styrene with a 2.5 mm styrene strip thats about .03 thick should work.
Next Im going to fill in some pitting made by my rotary tool (crazy man with the dremel) and then add the porthole covers. I bought 2000 1 mm rhinestones and I plan on putting rivets on the hull. Hope Im still sane after this. I might end up putting the boat in the microwave afterwards...
Next Im going to fill in some pitting made by my rotary tool (crazy man with the dremel) and then add the porthole covers. I bought 2000 1 mm rhinestones and I plan on putting rivets on the hull. Hope Im still sane after this. I might end up putting the boat in the microwave afterwards...
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Looking good so far Senkan 
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
1/700 Takara 'Section' Yamato in display box
Hi Gang. Well, I managed to find one of these very rare display boxes in Hong Kong (via the Internet)- they come with a background from the movie 'Yamato' of the ocean at dusk, and have a simulated ocean with an opening to drop your favorite version 2005 Takara 'sectional' Yamato into.
The box looked good, so I spent the last couple of evenings assembling one of my 1/700 Takara Yamatos, then dropped it into the opening. Very nice, no?
At some point I will probably have a custom plastic display box done to better protect the background. For now, this will do. Looking mighty fine on my shelf as I type this!



The box looked good, so I spent the last couple of evenings assembling one of my 1/700 Takara Yamatos, then dropped it into the opening. Very nice, no?
At some point I will probably have a custom plastic display box done to better protect the background. For now, this will do. Looking mighty fine on my shelf as I type this!



bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
1/2000 Operation Ten-ichi-go Yamato - April 1945
Here is a wonderful miniature I recently found on ebay. Its comes completed, in 1/2000 scale yet surprisingly detailed. It shows Yamato being bombed and torpedoed on April 7, 1945. Really, really cool.










bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The scale is 1/2000 ?
Anyway looking good and the Takara model is just awesome
Anyway looking good and the Takara model is just awesome
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Yep, 1/2000, all of about 4.5" long.
As far as the Takara Yamato goes, I can't think of a more detailed pre-made model. Compared to the very good pre-made Unimax (Forces of Valor) Yamato, the Takara has much, much sharper detail and virtually no unnecessary 'thickening' of features like barrels and mast/antennae. Unreal, but it does take time to put it together - there are well over a hundred (or two?) tiny parts that must be carefully put together. Since this one is a waterline display, I glued all of the parts together , though the turrets and fire directors still rotate ...
As far as the Takara Yamato goes, I can't think of a more detailed pre-made model. Compared to the very good pre-made Unimax (Forces of Valor) Yamato, the Takara has much, much sharper detail and virtually no unnecessary 'thickening' of features like barrels and mast/antennae. Unreal, but it does take time to put it together - there are well over a hundred (or two?) tiny parts that must be carefully put together. Since this one is a waterline display, I glued all of the parts together , though the turrets and fire directors still rotate ...
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
-
just some dude
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hello Senkan,
I have some questions for you about your Yamato model. I see from the photographs that you have posted, that you are adding to your Yamato model the overlapping hull plating that is often seen on riveted construction. However, when I consult the only reference source I have that gets into any detail about the hull construction for the Yamato (Anatomy of the Ship Yamato, by Skulski), it states that only the midships portion of Yamato's hull used lap joints (i.e. the hull plates overlap). Skulski states that the fore and aft portions of Yamato's hull used butt joints (i.e. the hull plates are flush with each other), although I didn�t see anything that shows precisely where the transition from lap joints to butt joints took place. I see from your model that you are essentially showing lap joints for the entire length of the hull. So my question is what reference (or references) did you use to determine where to place the hull plating on your model? Is Skulski incorrect? I�m just trying to find out if newer, better information is out there, and if so, what is that info.
Thanks
I have some questions for you about your Yamato model. I see from the photographs that you have posted, that you are adding to your Yamato model the overlapping hull plating that is often seen on riveted construction. However, when I consult the only reference source I have that gets into any detail about the hull construction for the Yamato (Anatomy of the Ship Yamato, by Skulski), it states that only the midships portion of Yamato's hull used lap joints (i.e. the hull plates overlap). Skulski states that the fore and aft portions of Yamato's hull used butt joints (i.e. the hull plates are flush with each other), although I didn�t see anything that shows precisely where the transition from lap joints to butt joints took place. I see from your model that you are essentially showing lap joints for the entire length of the hull. So my question is what reference (or references) did you use to determine where to place the hull plating on your model? Is Skulski incorrect? I�m just trying to find out if newer, better information is out there, and if so, what is that info.
Thanks
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Ive seen roughly 5 to 10 Yamato/ Musashi models with hull plate detail and and none of them only have this amidship. Most of these models don't have it at the ends of the ship. The reference Im using is from other builders and a couple of Japanese books that show the overlapping plate. There is no plating over the belt which is admidships.
Granted my hull detail is way over scale in this representation but since this is the biggest battleship ever made Im taking liberty to add some "meat" to her bones. A piece of paper or tape or thick layer of paint on the hull would be closer to scale.
Thing about Yamato is I don't think we will ever know everything about her. So I say have fun with her!
Granted my hull detail is way over scale in this representation but since this is the biggest battleship ever made Im taking liberty to add some "meat" to her bones. A piece of paper or tape or thick layer of paint on the hull would be closer to scale.
Thing about Yamato is I don't think we will ever know everything about her. So I say have fun with her!
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Port Hole Covers and Rivets
Getting started with porthole covers and rivets. The phrase of the day is "GD rivet! Get off my F'n tweezers!"
Im going to finish one half of the hull and then hit it with some Mr Surfacer and primer and see if all that excess glue will disappear. I hope.
Im going to finish one half of the hull and then hit it with some Mr Surfacer and primer and see if all that excess glue will disappear. I hope.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105