Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans

Landing ships, transports, liners, cargo ships, and merchant ships.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Bob,
Thanks for the comments. I DID have some issues with the fit of the hull sides. I used a small amount of filler (Squadron Green putty) particularly round the stern. A little judicious sanding and couple of coats of paint. Still not perfect but it hardly notices now.

BTW, I built the Sagara Maru from the Pit Road resin kit some time ago - pictures on the Model Shipwrights website. (Hope my weathering techniques have drastically improved since then!!).

Jim S
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Well I got my hull to conform yesterday with no major glitches. I consider that a good night! :big_grin: Thank you Jim for your feedback. :thumbs_up_1:






Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Graham Boak
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Graham Boak »

I don't recall any problem with the hull of my Fujimi merchant, other than having to deepen it. I did, however, also snap the hull of my Kinesaki into two whilst removing the centre stub. Nothing, like learning from other's experience.

I do notice that there are a number of detail parts that are not used on this kit. All very minor stuff, but to me this suggests that there may well be another variant coming.
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

I snapped my Kinesaki in two as well. The good thing was, it was such a clean break it fit together perfectly without using much filler. :heh:




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
reigels
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by reigels »

I snapped a Kinesaki in two as well. Clean break, but seems to be a common issue.
-- Scott
Graham Boak
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Graham Boak »

The snap started from the square corner of the hole. Square corners are stress risers, first year engineering. Liberty ships, Comet airliners, now Kinesaki models. Maybe there's a market in selling to university courses? I have since cleaned one up without snapping it in two.......
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Graham Boak wrote:The snap started from the square corner of the hole. Square corners are stress risers, first year engineering. Liberty ships, Comet airliners, now Kinesaki models. Maybe there's a market in selling to university courses? I have since cleaned one up without snapping it in two.......
Well, I saw all the angst that the spru clean-up caused for this kit and promptly said to myself, well, I can't match them yet for painting, pe or weathering, (or seascapes, or research accuracy or photographic quality or awards, or even mere completion of many builds...) BUT I sure can remove spru better than these hotshots...

So I went downstairs to the stash and opened up the Rayden box and removed the hulls from the sleeves, and promptly removed the spru mid-hull on not one BUT BOTH hulls without incident! Intact! BOTH HULLS! :woo_hoo:

No reassembly or clean-up needed.

At least with the hulls. Now heating a wire to pull through the spru struck me as a pretty good approach, a way around the stresses of cutting and stressing those square corners. Just don't forget to turn off the heat source for heating your wire, don't forget to keep your fire-extinguishers fully checked for pressurization, and don't forget that your paints and clean-up materials are rather flammable, particularly after you walk away from your work bench.



Just kidding! Both sprues removed without incident. Am thinking about submitting a photo to the Gallery.

:big_grin:
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

I'm plugging away on the Sagara Maru kit so far. I haven't started painting the hull yet but, I'm still deciding on which colors to use. For the hull I was thinking of using Humbrol light gray. The camouflage pattern I was going to use Floquil grimy black. The blue patch on the stern will be Tamiya royal blue. For the steel decks Sasebo gray, and for the wood deck Tamiya wood. Before I start I would like some feedback in any shape or form from you guys. :heh: The camo pattern looks to be a bit of a challenge as well.




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Bob,

>>snip<<

If I recall correctly, I probably used the following acrylics (all brush painted):-
Vallejo White Grey (70.993) for the hull, masts& superstructure
Vallejo Dark Grey (70.994) for hull 'dazzle' and decks
Vallejo Medium Blue (70.963) for stern section
Citadel (Warhammer) bleached bone for the wooden deck (Note: NO wash at that time).

Hope this helps
Jim S
Last edited by Cadman on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reference to unfriendly site removed.
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Thanks Jim! :thumbs_up_1: I'll check it out.






Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Harry @ BFM
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Harry @ BFM »

Hi All,

Scott sent me a sample kit of his 1/700 Japanese Type 2A Standard Freighter Aircraft Transport Version.

This kit is absolutely beautiful, if this type of ship is in your area of interest get yourself a copy you will not be disappointed!!
Harry
BattleFleet Kits, PE & Decals
Alliance PE & Kits
Orange Hobby
Lifecolor Naval Paints
Testors Naval Paints
WEM
ABER Barrels
Atlantic Models PE
LionRoar PE
ModelArt
Available from our Online Store
http://www.battlefleetmodels.com
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Harry,
I second that. I'm just completing my build of the 'standard' version and will be taking it to Telford this November.

I'll post some pics as soon as I have finished the rigging and placed it onto the seabase.

Scott, Great job - and thanks for the opportunity to buy the limited edition!!

Jim S
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

I'll third what you two guys just said!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:





Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
reigels
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by reigels »

Thanks guys - I appreciate the kind words.

As Harry mentioned, I recently finished the large hatch aircraft transport version of the 2A Maru and have run off a few copies.

Photos below are of one tacked together for the instruction sheet. I'll add guns, PE and a sea base as soon as I can for a little nicer build up. (I figured I'd go with gray decks this time around for a change, although in hindsight I think the red deck looks better.)

Image
Image
Image
-- Scott
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Nice!
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:



Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
janschu
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by janschu »

Hello altogether,

@Scott, concerning your Type 2A vessel, you have a PM. :eyebrows:

@all, Frog Foot has some new vessels announced. See here: http://sachibiyoushitu.com/ff_07.html

SSC-027, "Black Dragon" Maru ? :scratch:
SSC-020, Takasago Maru, hospital ship :woo_hoo:
SSC-042, Kinryu Maru?, auxiliary cruiser, sister ship to Kinka Maru

Thanks to Gernot i have already received the Hakone Maru (SSC-008) and the Nankai Maru (SSC-035) :thumbs_up_1:
Both beautiful ships, i can really recommend them.

A bit confusing is their "Notice of new product" at the bottom of page 3. :huh:
http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate ... Cbersetzen

Maybe someone can help about the ship�s names? :please:

Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan :wave_1:
Last edited by janschu on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gilbert
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Gilbert »

Hello Jan,
SSC-027, "Black Dragon" Maru ?
SSC-027=KOKURYU MARU (7369 GRT '37) (A/C APK)
the other names are correct :thumbs_up_1:
Regards,
Gilbert :wave_1:

PS- The PE is ready (notice in WIP)
willsdad96
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by willsdad96 »

Hi Scott,
Beautiful work. She's so ugly she's beautiful.
I'd like one when you get copies made!
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Hey you GUYS!!!! Did you hear that Pacific Front Hobbies will be carrying FROGFOOT model kits in the upcoming future!! :woo_hoo:





Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Post Reply

Return to “Amphibious, Transports and Auxiliaries”