Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans

Landing ships, transports, liners, cargo ships, and merchant ships.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

I'm just starting work on Fujimi's Nippon Maru in her pre-war (Yamasita Line) variant.

I need help on the following:-
What were the colours of her steel decks and pipework pre-war? The painting instructions with the kit do not specify (unless it's somewhere in Japanese).

The funnel decal supplied with the kit ('Y' within 'O') is black. Should this be RED as per other Yamasita Line ships? Was the black logo specifically for tankers or did another company operate Yamasita Line tankers on their behalf - hence the colour change.

Any help or comments most appreciated.

Jim S
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Best bet is probably to contact Motoyuki-san directly on this one, Jim. If you do, please tell all :smallsmile:
Ron Wolford
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Ron Wolford »

Hello Jim
This subject was discussed before, either here or on J-aircraft.com ship board, so there should be a thread on it some were. If you cannot find it let me know and I will post some info on the Nippon Maru.
Ron Wolford
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Ron: Any info on Nippon Maru particularly helpful.

Gilbert has sent me some details via PM that confirm the funnel markings ('Y' within 'O') SHOULD be in red and the steel decks should be mid to dark grey with light to mid grey piping. He also points out that the Nippon Maru hull was painted mid grey pre-war (although at some time pre-war it was black).

Thanks again to all who watch this thread and continue to contribute excellent information

Jim S
Ron Wolford
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Ron Wolford »

Hello Jim
I usually do not like getting into discussions about color, especially when there is little or no documentation, and only black and white photos to look at, that said, for what it worth here is my two cents. I agree with Gilbert that the funnel markings should be in red, but they should be on a yellow stack, see fig 2. I disagree about the color of the deck, I know Motoyuki-san model has a grey deck but I think this color was applied after she was requisitioned by the IJN. Most pre war Japanese freighters had decks painted a rust brown color, as you can see on Motoyuki-san web site, and I can't think of any good reason why their tankers would not do the same. Figure 3 is a color painting postcard of a pre-war Japanese tanker, I do not know what ship this postcard represents, but the postcard is marked with the Tamai Shosen Kaisha company markings. It looks, to me, that the artist painted the decks that same brown color that we see on their freighters. As for piping, I'm not sure what color, something that would make the pipes stand out from the deck I guess. I do not know when the picture of the Nippon Maru was taken, but as you can see the hull was not black, maybe light gray? Remember whatever color you choose to paint the ship will be right, and if anybody has a problem with the color make them show you the documentation to prove you wrong.

Ron Wolford

Nippon Maru (National Archives # 26-SJ-36)
http://i39.tinypic.com/xc89jk.jpg
House and Stack Markings Fig 2
http://i41.tinypic.com/287g10l.jpg
Color Tanker Postcard
http://i40.tinypic.com/o6z4h3.jpg
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Ron,
I'll probably go with the colour scheme on the postcard with necessary amendments - ie funnel colour/markings, to make this a Yamasita Line ship (and to contrast with the other 'grey' tankers I already have in the collection).

Many thanks for the input.
Jim S
DougKn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by DougKn »

Requesting Arizona Maru help. :wave_1:

I am making a scratch built Arizona Maru, and was trying to find her OA length. I know her waterline length is 475' /144.8 m, but with her counter stern the OA is a bit longer. I have seen in a couple of references the number 155.9m, but they are in Japanese and I'm not sure what that is referring to. . One of them is Motoyuki san's "Visual Guide of Japanese Wartime Merchant Marine", page 109.

If this is so, that means the stern has over 11 meters of overhang, which brings up another point - how is the stern shaped? Is the stern like Hikawa Maru? (of which I have several pictures for reference) or is it cut away with a thin rudder guide in order to get down to the 144.8 m waterline? (I've been trying to cut the stern shape and think I've blown two hulls already;-) Is any of her semi-sisters a wee bit shorter OA that I can make these into? (Africa, Arabia, Manila, Hawaii Marus?) As I'm not working in 1/700, I was not too sure on how my scale conversion was going.



Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. :thumbs_up_1:
Cheers
User avatar
Gilbert
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Gilbert »

Hello Doug,
I am making a scratch built Arizona Maru, and was trying to find her OA length. I know her waterline length is 475' /144.8 m, but with her counter stern the OA is a bit longer. I have seen in a couple of references the number 155.9m, but they are in Japanese and I'm not sure what that is referring to. . One of them is Motoyuki san's "Visual Guide of Japanese Wartime Merchant Marine", page 109.
=> I would go with Motoyuki-san for the LOA.
If this is so, that means the stern has over 11 meters of overhang, which brings up another point - how is the stern shaped? Is the stern like Hikawa Maru? (of which I have several pictures for reference) or is it cut away with a thin rudder guide in order to get down to the 144.8 m waterline? (I've been trying to cut the stern shape and think I've blown two hulls already;-) Is any of her semi-sisters a wee bit shorter OA that I can make these into? (Africa, Arabia, Manila, Hawaii Marus?) As I'm not working in 1/700, I was not too sure on how my scale conversion was going.
=> She has a typical counter stern and Motoyukis-san's drawing in his vol.1 p.109 will show you the shape. All the photos or paintings I have don't show the stern shape better. On the other hand, the main difference between Arizona Maru and her semi-sisters are the presence of two kingposts on Arizona Maru's forecastle. If you own a copy of ONI-208-J (revised) "Japanese Merchant Ships Recognition Manual (1944), see p.99 and p.100 for drawings showing other differences.

Good luck for your scratchbuild. You might be aware that Frogfoot Models have released an Arabia Maru kit Ref: SSC-006.

Gilbert
DougKn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by DougKn »

Gilbert wrote:Hello Doug,
If this is so, that means the stern has over 11 meters of overhang, which brings up another point - how is the stern shaped? Is the stern like Hikawa Maru? (of which I have several pictures for reference) or is it cut away with a thin rudder guide in order to get down to the 144.8 m waterline? (I've been trying to cut the stern shape and think I've blown two hulls already;-) Is any of her semi-sisters a wee bit shorter OA that I can make these into? (Africa, Arabia, Manila, Hawaii Marus?) As I'm not working in 1/700, I was not too sure on how my scale conversion was going.
=> She has a typical counter stern and Motoyukis-san's drawing in his vol.1 p.109 will show you the shape. All the photos or paintings I have don't show the stern shape better. On the other hand, the main difference between Arizona Maru and her semi-sisters are the presence of two kingposts on Arizona Maru's forecastle. If you own a copy of ONI-208-J (revised) "Japanese Merchant Ships Recognition Manual (1944), see p.99 and p.100 for drawings showing other differences.

Good luck for your scratchbuild. You might be aware that Frogfoot Models have released an Arabia Maru kit Ref: SSC-006.

Gilbert

Thank you Gilbert.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but by the drawings the waterline lenght seems to be measured at a different point, as shown in this quick sketch. The point where waterline length is met differs on these four examples of counter stern types. The overhead contour of the "traditional" style is shown, but how is Arizona's? I tried looking for pictures of the Frogfoot model, but could only find the builders bow on view. If someone has the kit, maybe they could enlighten me a bit more.
Image
(Yes, I have the 208-J, thanks again) :wave_1:
Ron Wolford
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Ron Wolford »

Hello DougKu
The overall length I have for the Arizona Maru is 155.9 meters, or (155.9 x 3.281(feet per meter)=) 511.5 feet. I do not have a overall length for the Arabia Maru, but the length between perpendiculars (144.8 meters) is the same for both ships, so I assume the overall length would be the same. Here is a aft picture of the Arabia Maru, I hope this helps you out on your model.
Ron Wolford

Arabia Maru
http://i40.tinypic.com/2q999hx.jpg
DougKn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by DougKn »

Ron Wolford wrote:Hello DougKu
The overall length I have for the Arizona Maru is 155.9 meters, or (155.9 x 3.281(feet per meter)=) 511.5 feet. I do not have a overall length for the Arabia Maru, but the length between perpendiculars (144.8 meters) is the same for both ships, so I assume the overall length would be the same. Here is a aft picture of the Arabia Maru, I hope this helps you out on your model.
Ron Wolford

Arabia Maru
http://i40.tinypic.com/2q999hx.jpg
Thanks, Ron.
That is one of the best aft views I've seen of the Arabia Maru. I think I will base it on that, not too many out there would be able to disagree. It will be easier than the convulated stern I was working on to somehow incorporate the lines in the drawing.

Thanks all again, cheers :thumbs_up_1:
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

1/700 Shinshu Maru 1942 is the newest release from Niko Models. See their website for details.




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
Gilbert
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Gilbert »

Thanks for the info, Bob.

Gilbert :wave_1:
User avatar
janschu
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by janschu »

Yippieh,

i am really looking forward to this one! :woo_hoo:
Are there any informations, when this kit will be available?

By the way, has anyone noticed, how many new kits Frog Foot has announced on their homepage?
http://sachibiyoushitu.com/ff_03.html
http://sachibiyoushitu.com/ff_07.html
Looks like 2012 will be a fine year for us IJN merchant fans! :cool_2:

I wonder, if Hasegawa will release further versions of their 1/350 Hikawa Maru.
I really would love to see a hospital ship variant. :thumbs_up_1:

Greetings from Germany, Jan :wave_1:
Last edited by janschu on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Hi Janschu:


Pacific Front Hobbies and WEM will be carrying the Shinshu Maru in the very near future. Also, Pac Front will be carrying the Frogfoot line as well. When? I am not sure. Will have to inquire them directly for more details.




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
janschu
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by janschu »

I am sure, that BMK will have it in stock also.

By the way, i plan to build the vessel in a late war disguise, that is as it took part in the
reinforcement convois to the Philippines in late 1944.
Has anyone informations about that ship?
Was the armament altered? Was she still in grey or was the green tone anti submarine scheme
applied already?

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany, Jan :wave_1:
User avatar
Gilbert
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Gilbert »

Fujimi will release in March a 1/700 kit of IJA transport Sasako Maru/Sakura Maru

=> http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ40115

Gilbert
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

What are the chances that they will provide for a proper main deck?
Ron Wolford
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Ron Wolford »

Hello Everybody
This is fantastic news about the new Shinshu Maru kit from Niko Models. I have been waiting a very long time for somebody to produce a kit of this very important ship, she was the world's first specially designed landing ship. The two photos below were taken off Shanghai in 1937, and come from the U.S. Naval Historical Center.
DougKn here is a another photo of the Arizona Maru I just found in my collection.
Ron Wolford

Shinshu Maru (NH 90313)
http://i43.tinypic.com/x584eo.jpg
Shinshu Maru (NH 77695)
http://i41.tinypic.com/6fp6y8.jpg
Arizona Maru
http://i41.tinypic.com/vl6xt.jpg
User avatar
Gilbert
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Gilbert »

Thanks for the pictures, Ron.

Just a note: Niko is depicting Shinshu Maru as in 1942. Your pictures depicts her in 1937. One can see the difference with the front false funnel, which was removed from battleship Hyuga during its refit, as camouflage of the huge hangar.

Gilbert
Post Reply

Return to “Amphibious, Transports and Auxiliaries”