Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Pieter
- Posts: 1612
- Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:19 am
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I've just ran into deck plans of Dante Aligheiri and Guiseppe Verdi. These became Asahi Maru and Yamato Maru in the 1920's. I don't know if they changed very much after their transfer to NYK but the plans can be interesting anyway.
http://www.ludovicomosca.com/2010/06/piroscafi/
http://www.ludovicomosca.com/2010/06/piroscafi/
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Regarding Asahi Maru, you have much details here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Asahi%20Maru_t.htmPieter wrote:I've just ran into deck plans of Dante Aligheiri and Guiseppe Verdi. These became Asahi Maru and Yamato Maru in the 1920's. I don't know if they changed very much after their transfer to NYK but the plans can be interesting anyway.
http://www.ludovicomosca.com/2010/06/piroscafi/
Her forward stack was damaged in 1938 and replaced by a dummy funnel. Later the aft funnel was removed during the war (probably in '43) and she retained her forward funnel only.
Yamato Maru retained her two stacks 'til her loss in Sep '43.
Gilbert
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello All
I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.
Also I have a question on Kongo Maru of the Kampu N.R. (sister to Koan Maru). She was sunk near the end of the war, but was re-floated. Did Kongo Maru ever re-enter service? She was scrapped in early 1950's, while Koan served until 1970's.
Thank you for your replies.
Doug
I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.
Also I have a question on Kongo Maru of the Kampu N.R. (sister to Koan Maru). She was sunk near the end of the war, but was re-floated. Did Kongo Maru ever re-enter service? She was scrapped in early 1950's, while Koan served until 1970's.
Thank you for your replies.
Doug
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hi Doug,DougKn wrote:Hello All![]()
I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.
Also I have a question on Kongo Maru of the Kampu N.R. (sister to Koan Maru). She was sunk near the end of the war, but was re-floated. Did Kongo Maru ever re-enter service? She was scrapped in early 1950's, while Koan served until 1970's.
Thank you for your replies.
![]()
Doug
Yes, Kongo Maru re-enter servoce postwar but was wrecked near Koshikishima, Goto Is. on 14 Oct '51.
Picture of Oryoku Maru (model of Motoyuki-san): Picture of Takasago Maru: Gilbert
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Thank you Gilbert.
I was hoping for more of an overhead that showed deck detail placement. I may have to do with Motoyuki-san's pictures, I don't think anyone else has made those models (unless he comes out with a volume 3 of TVGoJMM).
Doug
I was hoping for more of an overhead that showed deck detail placement. I may have to do with Motoyuki-san's pictures, I don't think anyone else has made those models (unless he comes out with a volume 3 of TVGoJMM).
Doug
-
Felix C
- Posts: 507
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:16 am
- Location: Miami, FL
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Interesting the Japanese used disruptive and different tone paint schemes on their merchant ships but rarely on their warships. Paint stock allocation I am guessing.
That link in the first page to dozens of MM is wonderful.
That link in the first page to dozens of MM is wonderful.
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Does anyone know what Himalaya Maru was armed with during the war? Was it light machine guns, guns on bandstands, or nothing at all?
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Quincy wrote:Does anyone know what Himalaya Maru was armed with during the war? Was it light machine guns, guns on bandstands, or nothing at all?
Actually my question come from the book Japanese Merchant Ships at War pages 159-160 Against heavy firing from shipboard guns, the PBY dropped three bombs and one hit at the ships bunker. At the same moment, three incendiary bombs droped instantly engulfed the ship in an inferno.
Bob Pink.![]()
Bob Pink.
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Sorry, didn't find anything about HIMALAYA MARU's armament in my stuff, but there is a nice model of HIMALAYA MARU by Jim Smith at http://www.finewaterline.com/pages/gall ... malaya.htm in civilian dress.Quincy wrote:Quincy wrote:Does anyone know what Himalaya Maru was armed with during the war? Was it light machine guns, guns on bandstands, or nothing at all?
Bob Pink.
I don't remember if this has already been shown here. Jim regularly writes here and his work is often displayed at ModelWarships and Fine Waterline Board sites too.
Doug
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Yes, that is where I got the urge to do Himalaya Maru except in her wartime guise. I loike Jim's maru's. He is a good teacher!
Thanks for looking Doug.
Bob Pink.
Thanks for looking Doug.
Bob Pink.
-
Guest
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Freighter wrote:Motoyuki-san,
Canadian Miller became Enju (Enzyu?) Maru in 1941. There were other ships built to the same specification by Canadian Vickers around that time. These included Canadian Pioneer, Canadian Ranger which became Canadian Ranger Maru - Broken up at Osaka in 1933, Canadian Seigneur which became Rasin (Rashin) Maru in 1933 and Canadian Spinner which became Fukuya (Hukuja) Maru in 1941.
Details on Miramar Ship Index
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship ... &link=1676
The design was to a World War 1 'Standard' specification for simple ship designs using standardised engines and hulls led by the Merchant Advisory Shipbuilding Committee in the UK. These ships were built in Britain, the US, Canada, Japan and at British yards in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The fact that these were to a British design may account for the fact that the US Office of Naval Intelligence shows sister ships to Enzyu Maru being built in Britain. ONI 208J shows pictures of some of the sister ships (page 219) including Rasin Maru.
Note that Battlefleet Models 'Wentworth' can easily be converted to this class.
I hope this helps.
Jim S
-
Jim Smith
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Thanks for the note about Himalaya Maru and the link to FineWaterline website.
Just to show I haven't been asleep all year, here are a few of my other recent conversions:-
Other pictures of these can be found in the various photo reports from Telford.
Jim S
Just to show I haven't been asleep all year, here are a few of my other recent conversions:-
Other pictures of these can be found in the various photo reports from Telford.
Jim S
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Great builds Jim!
Thank you for the conversion possibilities using the Loose Cannon/Battlefleet kits.
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Agreed. Really nice, Jim.
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
- redoctober27
- Posts: 454
- Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:01 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello guys, so question .. Im thinking about building a Maru of somesort and I'm not quite sure on where to start to look. I usually build military/navy ships but never marus. I an looking to build a ship of late war so I can use the green paint schem and something the for the most part accurate. I was looking at some of the post and was reading on the Sadomaru/SakitomaruS from fujimi and those are the two highest on my list for possible buys with the latter ship being my late war Maru. My most desired ship would be the Doryo Maru if there is any thing out there for her that be great!! What are some of your suggestions ?
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Atago Maru is painted in green's. It should be ready sometime within the next few months if all goes well.
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- redoctober27
- Posts: 454
- Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:01 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Oh! And new one from fujimi?
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
No. 1/700 resin from yours truly. The hull is about 80% complete minus the fittings. IJN China Maru is the first and farthest along, with the hull being 95% complete.
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
NIKO is about to release IJN auxiliary cruiser (later auxiliary transport) ASAKA MARU: http://nikomodel.pl/Galeria/7084/index.html
See her TROM here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Asaka_t.htm
and her Specs here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Asaka_c.htm
Gilbert
See her TROM here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Asaka_t.htm
and her Specs here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Asaka_c.htm
Gilbert