Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Thanks for the update Gilbert! Will have to get this new release. I'll have to make some conversion parts for sister Awata Maru when this kit becomes available.
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- Bill Clarke
- Posts: 1665
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:40 pm
- Location: Wagga Wagga NSW
Fit Problems Fujimi 1/700 Sado / Sakito Maru
Gents,
Working on my kit and decided to afix the hull to the base plate, have a look at the gaps:
Anyone else got this with their kit?
Working on my kit and decided to afix the hull to the base plate, have a look at the gaps:
Anyone else got this with their kit?
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
What kit are we looking at, Bill?
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12472
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Fujimi Sado/Sakito. He had posted it as a separate thread with that info in the subject, so it's a bit hidden after it got merged into here.
De quoi s'agit-il?
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello, all
For those interested in smaller things, John Youngerman has completed his master for SAN'YO MARU http://members.boardhost.com/1250scale/ ... 14567.html. Note masts are thicker than actual model will have. This is in 1/1250 scale, easier to store (but harder to see)
Speaking of small things, my TSUSHIMA MARU modelles are (slowly) coming along, almost ready for detail. I haven't posted for a while, but will post some pix when they are closer to painting.

For those interested in smaller things, John Youngerman has completed his master for SAN'YO MARU http://members.boardhost.com/1250scale/ ... 14567.html. Note masts are thicker than actual model will have. This is in 1/1250 scale, easier to store (but harder to see)
Speaking of small things, my TSUSHIMA MARU modelles are (slowly) coming along, almost ready for detail. I haven't posted for a while, but will post some pix when they are closer to painting.
- Hen
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hey Bill,
I build the Sado Maru and her 4 IJA sisters and I agree that the fit is not really good... The bottom plate is the smallest problem - you have to be very careful with the two big deck parts, especially at the stern. There will be a big gap that needs filling as the shape of the hull halves and the aft deck dont go together.
And be careful with the bridge as well - put it in place (no glue) before you add the decks. I had the problem that the bridge parts didn't fit in after i glued the deck parts in place (had to remove part of the stairs and lowest bridge level)... It's kinda tricky but as I'm not keen on winning Gold medals on model shows, I can live with these faults
Anyways - I'm happy that Fujimi offers these kits! I love the dazzle camo on Sado, Sasako and Sagami marus!!

Sorry for the poor quality... iPad cam...
I build the Sado Maru and her 4 IJA sisters and I agree that the fit is not really good... The bottom plate is the smallest problem - you have to be very careful with the two big deck parts, especially at the stern. There will be a big gap that needs filling as the shape of the hull halves and the aft deck dont go together.
And be careful with the bridge as well - put it in place (no glue) before you add the decks. I had the problem that the bridge parts didn't fit in after i glued the deck parts in place (had to remove part of the stairs and lowest bridge level)... It's kinda tricky but as I'm not keen on winning Gold medals on model shows, I can live with these faults
Anyways - I'm happy that Fujimi offers these kits! I love the dazzle camo on Sado, Sasako and Sagami marus!!

Sorry for the poor quality... iPad cam...
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
- Bill Clarke
- Posts: 1665
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:40 pm
- Location: Wagga Wagga NSW
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hen,
Mate that's an awesome Dio, looks great, thanks for the inspiration.
I'm not so happy to hear about the fit problems though, had intended this as a easy build, not too much PE, and I especially liked the fact that I'd not need any long lengths of PE rails.
I thought Fujimi wqould have done a better job, this is dissapointing, they turn out so many top quality kits these days.
The key to holding a customer base is consistancy, regardless of wether it's a well known BB or obscure backwater ship, make them to the same exacting standards regardless and your customers will keep comming back.
Mate that's an awesome Dio, looks great, thanks for the inspiration.
I'm not so happy to hear about the fit problems though, had intended this as a easy build, not too much PE, and I especially liked the fact that I'd not need any long lengths of PE rails.
I thought Fujimi wqould have done a better job, this is dissapointing, they turn out so many top quality kits these days.
The key to holding a customer base is consistancy, regardless of wether it's a well known BB or obscure backwater ship, make them to the same exacting standards regardless and your customers will keep comming back.
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
And the wood portrayed main decks on the kit should be METAL, and not wood.
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- Bill Clarke
- Posts: 1665
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:40 pm
- Location: Wagga Wagga NSW
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
already begun scraping that back Bob,Quincy wrote:And the wood portrayed main decks on the kit should be METAL, and not wood.
Bob Pink.
- Hen
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I had already finished 2 ships when i realized they had metal decks... So my ships have wooden decksQuincy wrote:And the wood portrayed main decks on the kit should be METAL, and not wood.
Bob Pink.
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Thx for the heads-up, Bill. Nice diorama, Hen.
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello, allQuincy wrote:And the wood portrayed main decks on the kit should be METAL, and not wood.
Bob Pink.
That brings up a good question. Which ships would have wood decks and when? I've usually gone by the rule of thumb that liners tend to have wood, cargo carriers tend to be metal. Do earlier cargo ships (pre-WW1) have wood or metal, or when was there a basic changeover? How about combination cargo/passenger ships? I think wood decks are cooler in Tropical zones, but during wartime, I imagine that most ships would prefer to strip off flammables.
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Its been a while guys. Anything new on the horizon to report or discuss??
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
According to Motoyuki-san, Aoshima will issue its own Kimikawa Maru tooling. Maybe January 2014?: http://www.aoshima-bk.co.jp/scripts/sho ... de_a=00976
Smart to take advantage of the niche opportunity.
Smart to take advantage of the niche opportunity.
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12472
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
In her seaplane tender guise, in case there's any doubt.
De quoi s'agit-il?
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I'm hoping it's a bit like the PitRoad kit, so a merchant version can be built. A real shame about the PR kit; so sharply molded.
-
Guest
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Everybody
it's good see some activity on this board after so long. A couple of years ago, I corresponded with Hugh Lettery of Loose Cannon Models about manufacturing some Japanese Merchant Ship Models. I'm happy to report that when I saw him at the IPMS nationals in Loveland, Colorado, he had several new kits there or on the way.
The first of these is the Tojo Maru a Type 2 TL (Modified) 10,000 ton tanker. The kit comes with two frets of PE and the hull molded as if she fully loaded.
The next two kits are not out yet, but Hugh had mock ups of the hull and superstructures at the nationals. The first is the Whale factory ship Kyokuyo Maru and the next, is the Whale factory ship Tonan Maru 2/3. The Kyokuyo Maru is molded like the Tojo Maru, fully loaded, but the Tonan Maru is done as if she was riding high.
I cannot tell you how excited I am that somebody is releasing kits of the two main Whale factory ship of the Japanese Navy. Over the years, I have collected a number of photos and information on these and will post some of those, when the kits are released.
Here is a photo of the Kyokuyo Maru model Hugh sent to me.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2q1bbdy.jpg
The real ship
http://i44.tinypic.com/11l1pjp.jpg
The Tonan Maru 3
http://i43.tinypic.com/no8rp2.jpg
Ron Wolford
it's good see some activity on this board after so long. A couple of years ago, I corresponded with Hugh Lettery of Loose Cannon Models about manufacturing some Japanese Merchant Ship Models. I'm happy to report that when I saw him at the IPMS nationals in Loveland, Colorado, he had several new kits there or on the way.
The first of these is the Tojo Maru a Type 2 TL (Modified) 10,000 ton tanker. The kit comes with two frets of PE and the hull molded as if she fully loaded.
The next two kits are not out yet, but Hugh had mock ups of the hull and superstructures at the nationals. The first is the Whale factory ship Kyokuyo Maru and the next, is the Whale factory ship Tonan Maru 2/3. The Kyokuyo Maru is molded like the Tojo Maru, fully loaded, but the Tonan Maru is done as if she was riding high.
I cannot tell you how excited I am that somebody is releasing kits of the two main Whale factory ship of the Japanese Navy. Over the years, I have collected a number of photos and information on these and will post some of those, when the kits are released.
Here is a photo of the Kyokuyo Maru model Hugh sent to me.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2q1bbdy.jpg
The real ship
http://i44.tinypic.com/11l1pjp.jpg
The Tonan Maru 3
http://i43.tinypic.com/no8rp2.jpg
Ron Wolford
- D-Boy
- Posts: 1298
- Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
- Location: Schodack Landing, NY
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Ron, thanks for serving as a catalyst and bearer of good news! These are such distinctive hulls.Guest wrote: I cannot tell you how excited I am that somebody is releasing kits of the two main Whale factory ship of the Japanese Navy. Over the years, I have collected a number of photos and information on these and will post some of those, when the kits are released.
Here is a photo of the Kyokuyo Maru model Hugh sent to me.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2q1bbdy.jpg
The real ship
http://i44.tinypic.com/11l1pjp.jpg
The Tonan Maru 3
http://i43.tinypic.com/no8rp2.jpg
Ron Wolford
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
- D-Boy
- Posts: 1298
- Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
- Location: Schodack Landing, NY
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Artwox makes a wooden deck for the IJN Hokoku Maru in 1:700 in her auxiliary cruiser role, with gun platforms that reflect a change the deck plank pattern from her pre-war passenger liner days.
Does anyone know of a wood deck kit that is suitable for this ship in her passenger liner role? Or one made for her sister ships, Aikoku Maru or Gokoken Maru?
Kit is Pit Road #148.
Here is the Artwox decking for her wartime role: http://artwox.com/index.php?page=2&document_srl=4547
I have reached out to the manufacturer with this inquiry. Only the printing pattern for the planking need change. Tried experimenting with a hole punch to cut replacement diameters, but rather fragmentary results.
D-Boy
Does anyone know of a wood deck kit that is suitable for this ship in her passenger liner role? Or one made for her sister ships, Aikoku Maru or Gokoken Maru?
Kit is Pit Road #148.
Here is the Artwox decking for her wartime role: http://artwox.com/index.php?page=2&document_srl=4547
I have reached out to the manufacturer with this inquiry. Only the printing pattern for the planking need change. Tried experimenting with a hole punch to cut replacement diameters, but rather fragmentary results.
D-Boy