The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 pm 
Hello All,

May I ask for your assistance with a modeling project?

A few years ago, my brother Tom 'won' me an old LINDBERG kit of the USAF 94-foot Air-Sea-Rescue-Craft from a seller from Portugal on Ebay.

I'm getting ready to have a modeler build it up for me, ... finally. Bob Cicconi, ... don't worry, it's not you ... :-)

In USAF service, the two 94-footers wore - what I jokingly refer to as (when I talk with B.G. "Chip" Marshall) 'those damned clown colors'. Those being white, yellow and day-glo orange.

Mr. Marshall has been telling me for a number of years now, that, in the early 60s, the USAF handed the boats over to the USN. He also says the Navy used them, for a short time, as "Beach Jumper boats".

He said, that, PROBABLY - during this time, the two boats were painted in the grays of the time and were armed with guns which were in the Navy's 'approved' inventory, rather than the two quad-50 mounts they were armed with in USAF service.

Can any of you, especially you former USN guys, tell me what grays were used as well as what guns they would have been fitted with while in the USN?

Thanks loads,

Garth

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm 

Garth,

I don't mean to hijack Your blog, But here a few phots You might like.

I've seen this boat at the Greenwitch, NJ boatyard for at least fifty years. My dad took me there while he was wiring a friends small cabin boat in the sixties. I though at first it was a PT Boat, but was told it was a Air Force rescue boat. Never saw it wet, a guy was trying to covert it in the late seventies. That was when I was aboard. Don't know about the engines, couldn't get to them because of junk. It now sits in the for sale junk pile. Both the owner and the boatyard owner have passed. these are as of yesterday.

Enjoy,

Bob Wescott

Attachments:
BOB_0375_1 (Large).JPG
BOB_0375_1 (Large).JPG [ 123.44 KiB | Viewed 1097 times ]
BOB_0376_1 (Large).JPG
BOB_0376_1 (Large).JPG [ 110.33 KiB | Viewed 1097 times ]
BOB_0377_2 (Large).JPG
BOB_0377_2 (Large).JPG [ 110.23 KiB | Viewed 1097 times ]