Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Ship and Sub kits. All Media and all scales.

Moderators: MartinJQuinn, JIM BAUMANN, Timmy C, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Dan K »

Yes, she could be done, Bob. Actually, all the members of the Kiyosumi Maru class (Kiyosumi, Kasii, Kinugasa, Kagu, Kongo) have the same size hull & similar fittings as the PR kit scales out to. What makes these sisters more challenging for a conversion is that their bridge is one deck higher, which complicates the conversion. Not impossible.
Attachments
Kiyosumi Maru 2 sm.jpg
Kashii Maru KKK lines #2.jpg
Kongo Maru #2, Canal Zone, 1937 via NHC sm.jpg
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Quincy »

I forgot about this conversion build of Kagu Maru by Reigels in the All Craft Group Build 09-10 . He used the Pitroad Kamikawa Maru kit for this. His build is on pages 3,4, 7, and 10. He didn't complete her but, you will get to see what he did along the way. Its a great reference. :thumbs_up_1:



Bob Pink. :wave_1:
AJohnson
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by AJohnson »

Dear Dan

I just got my new Aoshima Hatsuharu destroyer out of the box and found the same exagerated hull plating ribs. Must be their thing to bring the hull a bit more to life. I think I can just about live with it, I must say the rest of the Hatsuharu is molded very crisply. So maybe I should give Kimikawa Maru a whirl too? Just got several ships to build first though....... :smallsmile:

Better put the overalls on and return to the outfitting quay

Regards

Andrew
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Dan K »

I think I would take the plating off but, otherwise, I say, build it, Andrew!
User avatar
Haijun watcher
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:06 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Contact:

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Haijun watcher »

Dan K and other IJN experts,

So essentially the Aoshima Kamikawa Maru and Kimikawa Maru kits are identical? So if one could build the Kamikawa Maru if they had the other kits?
Last edited by Haijun watcher on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Haijun" means "navy" in Mandarin Chinese.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Dan K »

It would be just too easy if they were identical, mon ami.

The short version is that Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru had their catapults mounted on sponsons on the aft starboard side, so that the catapult sits right on the edge of the deck. Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru had their catapults just inboard of the deck edge, on a deck mounted turntable. Further, all four sisters had different arrangements of the a-c trolley tracks, as seen in the composite arrangement of drawings by Motoyuki Iwashige, and arranged by Luca Ruffato from a discussion on j-ships a couple of years ago. Below (ignore the Sanyo Maru illustration).

Aoshima has released Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru with identical layouts. However, they have differentiated the layouts between Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru.

I'm sure you are thrilled by this news.
Attachments
plan Catapult and track arrangements.jpg
User avatar
Haijun watcher
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:06 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Contact:

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Haijun watcher »

Dan K wrote:It would be just too easy if they were identical, mon ami.

The short version is that Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru had their catapults mounted on sponsons on the aft starboard side, so that the catapult sits right on the edge of the deck. Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru had their catapults just inboard of the deck edge, on a deck mounted turntable. Further, all four sisters had different arrangements of the a-c trolley tracks, as seen in the composite arrangement of drawings by Motoyuki Iwashige, and arranged by Luca Ruffato from a discussion on j-ships a couple of years ago. Below (ignore the Sanyo Maru illustration).

Aoshima has released Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru with identical layouts. However, they have differentiated the layouts between Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru.

I'm sure you are thrilled by this news.
Thanks for your detailed reply! :thumbs_up_1:
"Haijun" means "navy" in Mandarin Chinese.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill
Guest

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Guest »

Dan K wrote:It would be just too easy if they were identical, mon ami.

The short version is that Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru had their catapults mounted on sponsons on the aft starboard side, so that the catapult sits right on the edge of the deck. Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru had their catapults just inboard of the deck edge, on a deck mounted turntable. Further, all four sisters had different arrangements of the a-c trolley tracks, as seen in the composite arrangement of drawings by Motoyuki Iwashige, and arranged by Luca Ruffato from a discussion on j-ships a couple of years ago. Below (ignore the Sanyo Maru illustration).

Aoshima has released Kimikawa and Kunikawa Maru with identical layouts. However, they have differentiated the layouts between Kamikawa and Kiyokawa Maru.

I'm sure you are thrilled by this news.

Wow... This just ruined my day.. I was like wow I really like these I think I'll build a class of these! ... Nope! I don't know how I'll scratch build the trolley and rails.. Looks like my Kunikawa will be renamed Kimikawa :/.
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Kimikawa Maru in 1/700: Aoshima vs. PitRoad

Post by Dan K »

Aoshima's new tooling makes all four with different arrangements, so you could build them for each kit.
Post Reply

Return to “Ships and Subs”