The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm 

Walt wrote:
History has shown us that this oversight ( or mistake whatever) was very contributory to what was to become their ruin in short order. These are also facts that to a military planner are all very obvious.

I do not think so. The Japanese attack was gambling. They risked everything by attacking, because their industrial base was clearly inferior. A long war Japan could not won - does not matter, what they would have hit in Pearl Harbor. There only chance was a decisive blow against the USN fleet, which would enable them to conquer the areas they aimed for - and would forced the USA to peace. The succeeded in destroying most of the USN battlefleet and to conquer most of those islands. But the reaction of the Allies to this disastrous defeat was not that the Allies sued for peace - as the Russians did in 1905 - but a counter attack using the industrial base of the USA to produce a dramatic quantitative superiority.

The effect of the destruction of the fuel farms and submarine base would clearly less impressive than the sunken battlefleet - also they would have been repaired in time for the counter attack. Actually they would have been much easier and cheaper to repair than the sunken battleships.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 pm 
I think too much emphasis is placed on the tank farm. Its destruction may have delayed the counter offensive by 6-12 months.

Japan may have made certain advances that she was unable to do in the historical scenario. Her lack of resources would limit her advances (her China adventure was consuming the major portion of what resources she had).

But, the A bomb would still be ready in '45 and the B-36, given higher priority than historically, would be operational no later then '46. Japan would be A bombed into the stone age from bases in the Western Hemisphere.

In the end Japan would lose whether or not the tank farm was destroyed.

PS. The Yamamoto quote was written for the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 pm 

Pearl Harbor footage from Spring 1942. Maybe some of you have seen this before...I have not.
I found it pretty incredible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cqIT6_Cbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:43 am 

Jim21680 wrote:
Pearl Harbor footage from Spring 1942. Maybe some of you have seen this before...I have not.
I found it pretty incredible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cqIT6_Cbs

Thanks Jim21680 for sharing the link. Very interesting to see the battleships being pumped out and the civilians and military personnel milling about. So rare to see colour footage!