Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Cliffy B wrote:Do you guys need the docking plan for the class?
Yeah we may as well try to add it in.
User avatar
steinerman
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by steinerman »

Hey Cliffy,

I have a favor to ask of you, but before I do, I want to take this opportunity to express my gratitude and my thanks for all you have done to supply us with much needed information. What you have given us is invaluable and I for one appreciate the time and trouble you took to get this data for us. We are indented to you.

Now, for my request: Would it be possible for you to take a series of photos of the hull from bow to stern? If you'll look at the bow-on photo of the Missouri I posted above, you will notice a large number of small protrusions along the length of the hull. I would like to add some of these to my model - and no, don't ask me how I plan to do it yet, because I have no idea. But I would like to get a general idea as to their size, location and how many there are. If you could, would it be possible to include a bit of the deck as well so we can use the deck hardware to get an idea of the location?

Thanks, Cliff, and again, thanks for all the help you have gives us. Some day, my dream is to see one of these beasts for real. But until then.........
Larry Steiner


Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
User avatar
Cliffy B
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Cliffy B »

I can go down the starboard side only as that's where our "pier" is but yeah can do. I'll be aboard again later this week.

And no problem for the help! Makes the job more fun :thumbs_up_1:
Drawing Board:
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984

Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Well I broke down, broke out the masking tape and primer, and added raised hull plate detail to my 1/200 hull. I'll take a picture or two once the task is fully complete.
User avatar
BB62vet
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Location: Mocksville, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by BB62vet »

Re: the Docking Keel:

From the 1950 BB63 Booklet of Gen. Plans - Sheet 17, the docking keel is shown on Frames 160.5, 154.75, and 147. By printing and scaling this sheet correctly you can determine the width and depth of the keel at the various stations (frames) of the hull. This keel was part of the original ship design and is there now just as it has been all along on all four IOWA class ships.

The keel is NOT shown on any other sheet of the BoGP. It is, however, shown (dashed) on the Bureau of Ships Docking Plan, Drawing # 578205. Once again, you will need to properly scale the drawing for the correct Length of this keel.

Note: the BoGPs for BB63 (1950), BB64 (1956), and BB62 (1982) are all identical as far as the 2 framing sheets are concerned. The lower hulls did not change from their original configurations. Most of these drawings are either available online (.pdf) or from The Floating Drydock (online).

Re: Hull Protrusions:

Per Larry's posted photos, etc - the Butt Straps are vertical plates (2 sizes) welded/riveted along the hull as specific intervals - these are available as a PE sheet from Eduard (1:200 scale) - the details/distances were discussed at length back a couple years ago. The instructions included with the Eduard sheet may or not be correct. I am using the dimensions supplied on that photo taken a couple years ago on WISCONSIN (also in the original thread) - only extended down the length of the hull. Some common sense and self-calculations of distance are needed here.

Overboard discharges are pretty well determined from the hull elevation drawing but unfortunately neither the 1950 BB63 nor the 1956 BB64 BoGP shows these items. They are shown on the 1967-68 BoGP for BB62 (Floating Drydock). I will go out on a limb and state that I doubt that the O. D. on Wisconsin is any different than the others and probably did not change over the years. What did change is the addition of half-pipe vertical covers that were added to prevent the discharge from spilling outward. Other raised hull details such as accommodation ladders attachment angle plates, boat boom attachments, etc. have been molded lightly into the Trumpy hull. The forward tie-off eyes are not shown anywhere and are not included in any aftermarket sets. There are two rows on each side of the hull and sort of follow the curvature of the hull plate lines. Distances between eyes will need to be derived by research.

Hope this helps,
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
User avatar
steinerman
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by steinerman »

Cliffy B wrote:I can go down the starboard side only as that's where our "pier" is but yeah can do. I'll be aboard again later this week.

And no problem for the help! Makes the job more fun :thumbs_up_1:
Thank you Cliffy!!!!!!! You da man!
Larry Steiner


Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Preliminary results of hull plating:

https://goo.gl/photos/55cPynqEDJBhuq3S8
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

This is from my computer model taken off the original plans:
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 3.38.39 PM.png
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:Are there any clear photos of the docking keel so I can add it to my 1/200 hull?
From the tabular data, the docking keel is much longer than people generally thing.

This is a rendering of the end:
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 3.40.45 PM.png
I have never seen a clear photo of this area. You'd need a submarine and clear water to get a good shot.
lgmccauley
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by lgmccauley »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:Are there any clear photos of the docking keel so I can add it to my 1/200 hull?
I have been working on a 1/192 scratchbuilt Missouri for the past few weeks using the FD's plans as my major source of information. The hull contour and half breadth drawing shows the docking keel running from frame 150 to frame 167. The frames were spaced four feet apart, so that would make the overall length 68 feet. Per the half breadth drawing it was 24" wide.

Larry


http://lgmccauley.imgur.com/all/
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

lgmccauley wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:Are there any clear photos of the docking keel so I can add it to my 1/200 hull?
I have been working on a 1/192 scratchbuilt Missouri for the past few weeks using the FD's plans as my major source of information. The hull contour and half breadth drawing shows the docking keel running from frame 150 to frame 167. The frames were spaced four feet apart, so that would make the overall length 68 feet. Per the half breadth drawing it was 24" wide.
The tunnel starts at Frame 140 so the docking keel starts to emerge at that point.

At Frame 150, the molded height of the tunnel is 0-10-6+.

The Docking keel ends at Frame 169.
lgmccauley
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by lgmccauley »

[
The tunnel starts at Frame 140 so the docking keel starts to emerge at that point.

At Frame 150, the molded height of the tunnel is 0-10-6+.

The Docking keel ends at Frame 169.[/quote]
I'll go with your dimensions as you obviously have more accurate information than I do.
User avatar
Harquebus
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Harquebus »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:Well I broke down, broke out the masking tape and primer, and added raised hull plate detail to my 1/200 hull. I'll take a picture or two once the task is fully complete.
"If it isn't done right it will look over scale" but that's okay because you're not a rivet counter.

You seem to be waffling sir, contradicting yourself every other post you submit. Which are you? :big_grin: :wave_1:
~Harq
User avatar
Harquebus
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Harquebus »

Since there's all this concern about hull plating lines and detail and the fact that it exists and would be visible in the larger scales, I would propose a joint mission to... map the IOWA class plate lines.

Going off this photo of the Iowa in dry dock, I was able to create, in five minutes, a quick and dirty illustration showing the horizontal plate lines to at least the area of turret #2. Depending on where the light hits the plate line or if there's a shadow there determines whether it is an overlapping or underlapping plate. Past the forecastle, I see a maximum of three hull plating lines above the waterline at best guess. Perhaps with all the photos we have available not to mention all four members of the class accessible as museum ships, we can make a reasonably accurate hull plating plan.

Thoughts? :scratch:

Iowa in drydock:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... 161054.jpg

Quick unfinished drawing with blue hull lines:
Image
~Harq
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Harquebus wrote:Since there's all this concern about hull plating lines and detail and the fact that it exists and would be visible in the larger scales, I would propose a joint mission to... map the IOWA class plate lines.

Going off this photo of the Iowa in dry dock, I was able to create, in five minutes, a quick and dirty illustration showing the horizontal plate lines to at least the area of turret #2. Depending on where the light hits the plate line or if there's a shadow there determines whether it is an overlapping or underlapping plate. Past the forecastle, I see a maximum of three hull plating lines above the waterline at best guess. Perhaps with all the photos we have available not to mention all four members of the class accessible as museum ships, we can make a reasonably accurate hull plating plan.

Thoughts? :scratch:

Iowa in drydock:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... 161054.jpg

Quick unfinished drawing with blue hull lines:
Image
That is pretty close to what I came up with. The results of which are visible here for everyone's comments.

https://goo.gl/photos/SBuKGwXcs1La6sjd7
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

Harquebus wrote:Since there's all this concern about hull plating lines and detail and the fact that it exists and would be visible in the larger scales, I would propose a joint mission to... map the IOWA class plate lines.
I've got the data where the lines are. I've never so anal in this regard to look at it other than for the top of the sheer strake.
User avatar
steinerman
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by steinerman »

Harquebus wrote:Since there's all this concern about hull plating lines and detail and the fact that it exists and would be visible in the larger scales, I would propose a joint mission to... map the IOWA class plate lines.

Going off this photo of the Iowa in dry dock, I was able to create, in five minutes, a quick and dirty illustration showing the horizontal plate lines to at least the area of turret #2. Depending on where the light hits the plate line or if there's a shadow there determines whether it is an overlapping or underlapping plate. Past the forecastle, I see a maximum of three hull plating lines above the waterline at best guess. Perhaps with all the photos we have available not to mention all four members of the class accessible as museum ships, we can make a reasonably accurate hull plating plan.

Thoughts? :scratch:

Iowa in drydock:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... 161054.jpg

Quick unfinished drawing with blue hull lines:
Image
Not bad, but your bow is way off.
BB63.jpg
Larry Steiner


Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

steinerman wrote:
Harquebus wrote:Since there's all this concern about hull plating lines and detail and the fact that it exists and would be visible in the larger scales, I would propose a joint mission to... map the IOWA class plate lines.

Going off this photo of the Iowa in dry dock, I was able to create, in five minutes, a quick and dirty illustration showing the horizontal plate lines to at least the area of turret #2. Depending on where the light hits the plate line or if there's a shadow there determines whether it is an overlapping or underlapping plate. Past the forecastle, I see a maximum of three hull plating lines above the waterline at best guess. Perhaps with all the photos we have available not to mention all four members of the class accessible as museum ships, we can make a reasonably accurate hull plating plan.

Thoughts? :scratch:

Iowa in drydock:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attach ... 161054.jpg

Quick unfinished drawing with blue hull lines:
Image
Not bad, but your bow is way off.
BB63.jpg
How about mine?

https://goo.gl/photos/SBuKGwXcs1La6sjd7
User avatar
BB62vet
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Location: Mocksville, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by BB62vet »

Re. the locations of the gusset plates:
This discussion began in this forum on page 102, Sept/Oct 2014. The photo with the dimensions was posted by James M from his visit to WISC in Oct. 2014 where he and another guy (with Cliffy B's help) measured the spacing and sizes of the plates and he posted the photo with dimensions on 08 Nov 2014, pg. 106 of this forum.

As previously mentioned back then, it doesn't matter which of the 4 IOWA ships you are modeling, the gusset plate locations are the same.

Correction - Last week I had mentioned that the overboard discharges were shown on the 1967-68 BB-62 BoGP side view of the ship - that is incorrect - neither that drawing nor any other plans I have for her have that detail shown. However, as earlier stated, this detail is molded into the 1:200 hull - so, I intend to drill out the OBDs with a very fine drill bit prior to any horizontal hull plate line work I do in order to preserve those locations.

Hope this helps,
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

BB62vet wrote:Re. the locations of the gusset plates:
This discussion began in this forum on page 102, Sept/Oct 2014. The photo with the dimensions was posted by James M from his visit to WISC in Oct. 2014 where he and another guy (with Cliffy B's help) measured the spacing and sizes of the plates and he posted the photo with dimensions on 08 Nov 2014, pg. 106 of this forum.

As previously mentioned back then, it doesn't matter which of the 4 IOWA ships you are modeling, the gusset plate locations are the same.

Correction - Last week I had mentioned that the overboard discharges were shown on the 1967-68 BB-62 BoGP side view of the ship - that is incorrect - neither that drawing nor any other plans I have for her have that detail shown. However, as earlier stated, this detail is molded into the 1:200 hull - so, I intend to drill out the OBDs with a very fine drill bit prior to any horizontal hull plate line work I do in order to preserve those locations.

Hope this helps,
I placed the plates according to Eduards instructions.
User avatar
BB62vet
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Location: Mocksville, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by BB62vet »

T.E.J. wrote -
I placed the plates according to Eduards instructions.
Personally, I agree with the dimensions taken off WISCONSIN as described in the photo and will lay out my hull accordingly. I don't believe Eduard's instruction are completely correct.
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”