Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
User avatar
BB62vet
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Location: Mocksville, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by BB62vet »

It's obvious that OVERTHINKING an assumed unknown is the rule of the day. This thread about gas cylinders is bordering on the ridiculous - I could just SCREAM!!! My reply to the thread as posted earlier I stand by - as well as the original posting on the Forum some time ago.

Let's move on...
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Scott56
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Scott56 »

BB62vet wrote: Let's move on...
Alrighty then. Sorry I struck a nerve. :Oops_1:

Back to lurking mode.
Scott

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82
lgmccauley
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Calling all Iowa Fans

Post by lgmccauley »

lgmccauley wrote:Did the Missouri carry one or two accommodation ladders in 1945. The FDD plans shows one being stowed at the after end of the superstructure and parts for another stowed at the forward end with the possible position for a second ladder. I have pictures that show no ladder at the after end. Anybody have any knowledge of the actual storage arrangement?
I guess my post got "lost" in all the discussion on cylinder colors, but I really would appreciate an answer to my question.
Thanks.

Larry
Scott56
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Scott56 »

Larry

I did some looking on the navsource website and found the following. http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016347c.jpg The caption states it was in Guam May 1945. If you look closely you can see both aft and forward ladders on the starboard side. I used my optivisor and it's hard to make out but if it is the Missouri during the time stated you will have something to go on.

I know the picture is a stretch and requires some interpretation. I also know I'm new here and not as knowledgeable as others, but hope this is a help. If I'm wrong let me know.
Scott

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82
Fliger747
Posts: 5068
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Fliger747 »

Missouri's fwd accommodation ladder normally is stowed against the bulkhead, main deck level aft of the wardroom. I believe the aft ladder is stowed awarthships just aft of turret three.

T
lgmccauley
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by lgmccauley »

Scott56 wrote:Larry

I did some looking on the navsource website and found the following. http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016347c.jpg The caption states it was in Guam May 1945. If you look closely you can see both aft and forward ladders on the starboard side. I used my optivisor and it's hard to make out but if it is the Missouri during the time stated you will have something to go on.

I know the picture is a stretch and requires some interpretation. I also know I'm new here and not as knowledgeable as others, but hope this is a help. If I'm wrong let me know.
I agree, she did carry two ladders in that time period, but I think the aft ladder might have been removed prior to her trip back Stateside. The pictures of her in Hudson River in October don't show the aft ladder and it was not deployed.
Thanks for the info. Now I know I have to make the aft ladder also.
rotley
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by rotley »

No doubt this question has already been answered in one of the 3,000+ posts in this thread but here goes anyway.

Has Tamiya stopped producing its 1/350 late WWII USS Missouri kit?

I am slowly acquiring kits of all my models destroyed during a disastrous house move and have not been able to find a Tamiya WWII Missouri kit. Although I have found a few after market sets for this model.
Scott56
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Scott56 »

rotley wrote: Has Tamiya stopped producing its 1/350 late WWII USS Missouri kit?
Yes they have you are looking for kit # 78018. They are on eBay sometimes. The Missouri on the box shows the starboard side vs the 1991 shows port side. There is one on eBay now for 120.00
Scott

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82
rotley
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by rotley »

Scott56 wrote:
rotley wrote: Has Tamiya stopped producing its 1/350 late WWII USS Missouri kit?
Yes they have you are looking for kit # 78018. They are on eBay sometimes. The Missouri on the box shows the starboard side vs the 1991 shows port side. There is one on eBay now for 120.00
Thanks Scott.

Could not find the kit on eBay, maybe it had been already sold.

Will just have to keep searching or hope another manufacturer brings out a WWII Iowa class in 1/350 scale.
User avatar
RaceFuel
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: Medford, Oregon

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by RaceFuel »

Yes the WW2 Missouri is out of production at the moment. They run for $100-$150 on eBay at the moment. I was lucky and got mine locally at MSRP from a private party, but that's the exception these days.
lgmccauley
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Calling all Iowa fans

Post by lgmccauley »

I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but what paints on the market are the closest matches to the USN WWII 5H Haze Gray and the 5N Navy Blue on the Snyder & Short's paint chip chart?
Thanks.

Larry
Fliger747
Posts: 5068
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am

Re: Calling all Iowa fans

Post by Fliger747 »

Indeed a can of worms! I mixed my own to match the color chips with Golden Acrylics, which airbrush and brush well. Over in the paint section there are some charts attempting to show the various brands and available selections.

Best to do your research over there as there are some truly expert members and articles.

Good Luck!
User avatar
RaceFuel
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: Medford, Oregon

Re: Calling all Iowa fans

Post by RaceFuel »

lgmccauley wrote:I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but what paints on the market are the closest matches to the USN WWII 5H Haze Gray and the 5N Navy Blue on the Snyder & Short's paint chip chart?
Thanks.

Larry
Colourcoats were matched directly to those chips, and generally are the closest.

You can get them via Sovereign hobbies in the UK or another one of their vendors.

IPP, a Korean company, is also quite close and produces the colors in a lacquer style paint, like Mr Color.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=162056
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

This took so long to create�so I had to post it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 9.17.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 9.18.13 AM.png
ModelMonkey
Model Monkey
Model Monkey
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by ModelMonkey »

:big_grin:
Have fun, Monkey around. TM

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
ModelMonkey
Model Monkey
Model Monkey
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by ModelMonkey »

For those of you with a 1/200 Trumpeter Iowa class kit, please do me the favor of measuring the outer diameter of the kit's turret's apron (circular base under the gunhouse - not the barbette) of a 16"/50 cal turret in millimeters.

If my math is correct, the Tamiya 1/350 kits' turrets may be overscale by as much as 11% - closer to 1/315 than 1/350. I'd like to see if Trumpeter's 1/200 turrets are closer to scale.
Attachments
BB-63 1948 016337c.comment.jpg
Have fun, Monkey around. TM

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
User avatar
SIBIRIAK-66
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by SIBIRIAK-66 »

My frends! Help me...What is?
Attachments
IMG_20160703_215515.jpg
IMG_20160703_215515.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Scott56
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Scott56 »

SIBIRIAK-66 wrote:My frends! Help me...What is?
Those would be the loading hatches for the 16" shells.
Scott

Salisbury, NC
USS Iowa BB61 1943 post refit
1:200 Trumpeter w/ Pontos detail up with deck
USS Missouri BB63 1945 1:350

In planning T2-SE-A2 tanker AO-82
Fliger747
Posts: 5068
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Fliger747 »

A flush hatch set into the deck planking. The shells can be lowered down to the magazines via the short arm "fixed crane" extending from the top of the turret. Each Turret has a pair of these hatches port and starboard.
User avatar
SIBIRIAK-66
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by SIBIRIAK-66 »

..loading hatches for the 16" shells..
Attachments
IMG_20160704_220500.jpg
IMG_20160704_220500.jpg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”