Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
..what is?
- Attachments
-
- IMG_20160703_215515.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What is it? Foto?
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
S-66,
I don't see those items on any of my IOWA class drawings - they are not 16" projectile loading hatches due to their location. The photo you provided above this last entry was correct - the (4) deck-flush loading hatches for Turrets 1/2 are where your callout arrows point.
What is the plan you have that you provided (title block name, draftsman, etc.)?
Hank
I don't see those items on any of my IOWA class drawings - they are not 16" projectile loading hatches due to their location. The photo you provided above this last entry was correct - the (4) deck-flush loading hatches for Turrets 1/2 are where your callout arrows point.
What is the plan you have that you provided (title block name, draftsman, etc.)?
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Here is a photo of the loading hatch underneath turret one. The items at the base of the barbett on turret two appear to be a vent.
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks you, Fliger747! Plans of Missouri 1945.
- Attachments
-
- IMG_20160705_201435.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
-
- IMG_20160705_201448.jpg (63.44 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
-
- IMG_20160705_201537.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Wildcat
Does anyone know of where I can find pictures of the iowa wildcat without the chain in place?
- William Smallshaw
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:05 pm
- Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Jim,
If I recall correctly the Iowa currently has one wildcat without the chain in place. Maybe one of the volunteers from the ship can snap a photo for you.
If I recall correctly the Iowa currently has one wildcat without the chain in place. Maybe one of the volunteers from the ship can snap a photo for you.
- James M
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
- Location: Fullerton, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What information from the wildcats are you looking for?
I have good photos of the entire thing that might get you what your looking for but none without the chain in place
James
I have good photos of the entire thing that might get you what your looking for but none without the chain in place
James
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Guess? He wants to construct one either shape ways or the old fashion way? Sort of a wrapped inverse image of the chain, but indeed haven't see one unwrapped in long enough to remember the details.
-
Sutho
- Posts: 449
- Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:53 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Can anyone identify this Iowa class. On Facebook the Missouri museum page has claimed it as the Missouri but given the radar I have my doubts and think it is another Iowa. I know it is not Iowa but cannot in my research ever recall Missouri having the type of radar in that photo.
https://www.facebook.com/Battleshipmiss ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/Battleshipmiss ... =3&theater
- Dick J
- Posts: 1992
- Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:29 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The config doesn't match Iowa (quad 40MM on turret 2), New Jersey (wrong shape of foretop) or Missouri (SK-1 instead of Missouri's SK-2), but it does match Wisconsin.
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
This is WISCONSIN, note superstructure of below 1944 photo:
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Under Construction

Much to go. It feels a lot like building a real model, piece by piece.
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
So I am curious does anyone have the TOO for Iowa class? I been wanting to model one for R/C but none the stuff I ever find has any hull info
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Yes, but it has to be faired. The hull form above started with the TOO but A LOT of corrections and adjustments had to be made.proflooney wrote:So I am curious does anyone have the TOO for Iowa class? I been wanting to model one for R/C but none the stuff I ever find has any hull info
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
yea had the same problem with my fl;etcher took 6 months to get the thousands of TOO into xcel then tweaking here and there + or - 1/8th til the curve came out.
If you dont mind could you email me a copy at jahuntley@mchsi.com pls. I want to put them into excell and eventually loft up a hull in solidworks. I like to virtual build stuff then make my r/c. I mainly know planes but trying a go at ships and always wanted to do an Iowa class considering I live right here in Illinois and Iowa
If you dont mind could you email me a copy at jahuntley@mchsi.com pls. I want to put them into excell and eventually loft up a hull in solidworks. I like to virtual build stuff then make my r/c. I mainly know planes but trying a go at ships and always wanted to do an Iowa class considering I live right here in Illinois and Iowa
- James M
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
- Location: Fullerton, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What scale are you looking at making the model?
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Probably 1/144th scale that will make a decent size one to start at 73". I want to eventually do a 1/96th model at 110" but I am on the road a lot lately so don't want to haul my trailer. I have a 9x5 trailer I used to haul my 1/4 and 1/3 scale planes in. if I do 1/96th it will be abt 110" and with a slight modification to the trailer I can launch it right out the back of the trailer.
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Jim here is my excell sheet for the fletcher maybe you can find it useful for setting up some of your data on the Iowa Class seems to work really great. I also inclused screenshots of my curves and couple other things. if anyone wants the complete Bath Shipyard Microfilm for the Fletcher iit is the second link
http://www.proflooney.net/Boats/Fletche ... troyer.rar
http://www.proflooney.net/Bath-Shipyard ... rofilm.rar
http://www.proflooney.net/Boats/Fletche ... troyer.rar
http://www.proflooney.net/Bath-Shipyard ... rofilm.rar
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I tried to send them but . . . .proflooney wrote:yea had the same problem with my fl;etcher took 6 months to get the thousands of TOO into xcel then tweaking here and there + or - 1/8th til the curve came out.
If you dont mind could you email me a copy at jahuntley@mchsi.com pls. I want to put them into excell and eventually loft up a hull in solidworks. I like to virtual build stuff then make my r/c. I mainly know planes but trying a go at ships and always wanted to do an Iowa class considering I live right here in Illinois and Iowa
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<jahuntley@mchsi.com>:
TLS connect failed: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failureZConnected to 52.202.11.209 but connection died. error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure (#4.4.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.