Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
oh well thanks anyways dunno what problem is must be something with connection of qmail
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Still tryingproflooney wrote:oh well thanks anyways dunno what problem is must be something with connection of qmail
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
dunno why its not letting you send email to me do you have ftp? let me pvt msg you my ftp info
- Gernot
- Posts: 654
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:53 am
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
That mail error is clearly a SSLv3 error. Since SSLv3 is by default disabled these days, if either the client or the server still has only SSLv3 capability (and not TLSv1 or above) while the other refuses to use anything less than TLSv1, then communication simply is not going to happen.
I don't know the odd mail domain you are replying to, but it is quite likely that the administrators have not been diligent and have an old version of openssl running on their mail server, or else neglected to update the SSL/TLS versions permitted (and probably did not set up the list of permitted ciphers and their order of precedence either).
If that is the case (and not on the mail client on the sender's side), then the people on the mail domain are going to receive fewer and fewer messages!
I don't know the odd mail domain you are replying to, but it is quite likely that the administrators have not been diligent and have an old version of openssl running on their mail server, or else neglected to update the SSL/TLS versions permitted (and probably did not set up the list of permitted ciphers and their order of precedence either).
If that is the case (and not on the mail client on the sender's side), then the people on the mail domain are going to receive fewer and fewer messages!
Gernot Hassenpflug
Find out how it works, then functionality and limits
Find out how it works, then functionality and limits
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
yea i know its not on my end i am using mediacom and have no problems wife works there and they are constantly updating and upgrading to keep current plus it is one of the largest cable and internet providers
- Gernot
- Posts: 654
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:53 am
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Then it must be the qmail program that does not understand the latest TLS version that your mail domain is accepting. Usually qmail then falls back to some set version of SSL, and tries again (second connect attempt). The error then masks the error of the first connect attempt. I surmise qmail on the sender's side has an older version of curl/openssl which does not understand TLS1.2 (which I assume perhaps is the only version permitted on that mail domain).
Gernot Hassenpflug
Find out how it works, then functionality and limits
Find out how it works, then functionality and limits
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
it came through that time
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
so Looking at a glance if I read correctly there are 344 frames which puts them at 30.95058139534884" apart I was taught ship frames are evenly spaced
Ok I see row 2 is the waterlines what is Column B? the rest I pretty Much understand on Frames sheet
Ok I see row 2 is the waterlines what is Column B? the rest I pretty Much understand on Frames sheet
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Ok Jim So Now I will take those dimensions and insert them into my template excel sheet so that the feet inches and 8th inch are in seperate cells then goes onto the second sheet I will creat to which they are all converted then to the 3rd sheet ill create which will create tables from them for importing into cad to draw the frames. will take a while and lot more stuff missing but it is a start for the hull.
thanks a lot I appreciate the file it will give me a good start til I can find the rest of the data like for the bow curve the transom the keel etc
thanks a lot I appreciate the file it will give me a good start til I can find the rest of the data like for the bow curve the transom the keel etc
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The Iowa frames are spaced every four feet. However, some places have fractional frames placed at 1 and 2 feet. Some locations only give the 1/2 frame dimensions.
- Admhawk
- Posts: 959
- Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:00 pm
- Location: Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
According to this post, stations are equally spaced, not frames, which corresponds with my experience.proflooney wrote:so Looking at a glance if I read correctly there are 344 frames which puts them at 30.95058139534884" apart I was taught ship frames are evenly spaced
Ok I see row 2 is the waterlines what is Column B? the rest I pretty Much understand on Frames sheet
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=156889#p698231
Darren (Admiral Hawk)
In the not so tropical climate of the Great White North.
In the not so tropical climate of the Great White North.
-
proflooney
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:19 pm
- Location: Moline Illinois
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
yea i was meaning stations I forgot ships have frames and stations not really sure what the frames things are but I was meaning the stations
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3163
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
CliffyB,
On a totally different topic, can you possibly enlighten us as to when, and why the sliding padeye replenishment unit was installed on WISCONSIN? This is unique among the four IOWA class and one of our forum members brought this up over on World Affairs Board Forum. I (first) found the photo below by Googling it and then saw it on your Photobucket album (May 2007 #7): I know this photo doesn't show it that well, but it's the only one I've got!
Thanks,
Hank
On a totally different topic, can you possibly enlighten us as to when, and why the sliding padeye replenishment unit was installed on WISCONSIN? This is unique among the four IOWA class and one of our forum members brought this up over on World Affairs Board Forum. I (first) found the photo below by Googling it and then saw it on your Photobucket album (May 2007 #7): I know this photo doesn't show it that well, but it's the only one I've got!
Thanks,
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
- Cliffy B
- Posts: 3125
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm
- Location: Hawaii
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Best I can tell from photos is that she got it prior to leaving for the Gulf. Photos I have from 1988-89 do not show it but photos from 1990-1991 in theater and afterwards show the padeye. If I remember correctly its another one of those small features that makes Wisky unique from her other sisters.
Drawing Board:
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3163
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks CliffyB for the pad eye response. Once again proves that the 4 are and always have been individual ships!
Hank
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
anj4de
- Posts: 280
- Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:49 am
- Location: Bavaria, Germany
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hello all
Today I received my first ever Shapeways parts...1/700 New Jersey round bridge! Here are some pictures of the real parts, we do not get to see those in the flesh all to often and Shapeways only shows "artist impressions". A spezial thanks to Steve (Model Monkey) for making those. The detail is breath taking...and my 1980ties rebuild 1/350 Missouri will get changed into a New Jersey soon as well!
cheers
Uwe
PS: Next to the now New Jersey, that once was Iowa, is my Wisconsin 2019 in the stage of having her new VLS installed...






Today I received my first ever Shapeways parts...1/700 New Jersey round bridge! Here are some pictures of the real parts, we do not get to see those in the flesh all to often and Shapeways only shows "artist impressions". A spezial thanks to Steve (Model Monkey) for making those. The detail is breath taking...and my 1980ties rebuild 1/350 Missouri will get changed into a New Jersey soon as well!
cheers
Uwe
PS: Next to the now New Jersey, that once was Iowa, is my Wisconsin 2019 in the stage of having her new VLS installed...






-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Is there any information available as to the physical appearance or state of weathering / color fading that the Missouri was in, during the summer of 1945?
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
DISCONE Antenna Measurements
Does anyone have measurements for the DISCONE antenna on the Iowas. In particular, I am looking for measurements of the base. Tube diameters, height, etc. I have some information for the actual antenna.
thanks.
thanks.
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: DISCONE Antenna Measurements
On a completely different note, and this is something that I have always been confused about. What purpose does this antenna serve? I know the New Jersey had it during Vietnam, and it was added to the other three ships in the 1980s.bigjimslade wrote:Does anyone have measurements for the DISCONE antenna on the Iowas. In particular, I am looking for measurements of the base. Tube diameters, height, etc. I have some information for the actual antenna.
thanks.
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12473
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: DISCONE Antenna Measurements
Came across the following page when googling "Discone antenna iowa class" - half way down there are high-resolution photos of the blueprints for the antenna, including with clearly legible dimensions: http://www.virhistory.com/navy/ant-ship.htmbigjimslade wrote:Does anyone have measurements for the DISCONE antenna on the Iowas. In particular, I am looking for measurements of the base. Tube diameters, height, etc. I have some information for the actual antenna.
thanks.
Apologies if that's the one you already have.
De quoi s'agit-il?