To expand a bit on Larry's reply - Floating Drydock offers their USS MISSIOURI Plan Book (or EPlan Book on CD) which details everything about the MISSOURI (and her sisters) as of 1945. This would work for your build as the ports in the superstructure didn't disappear or change all that much from one ship to the other. I would highly recommend you get the print version rather than CD, since you don't need a computer to read a book or look at the drawings. Yea, a bit old school but then you'll have something to peruse after the asteroid hits and knocks all the power out and you need something to do while waiting for the radioactive cloud to overtake us all! Seriously, the Plan Book allows measuring things that you can't do off a computer screen and cheaper than making prints over and over again. Also, the drawings in this publication are all 1/8" = 1'-0" scale and easy to read. One other note - NEW JERSEY was refitted first and is different in several details from the other 3 ships. Most noticeable is her conning tower, but there are other details, as well.
Lastly - ASSUME NOTHING!!! Find the real answer by research. There are plans available for the 1981-82 refit which I would hope you are already using for your build. These should pretty much show where the ports are or aren't on the superstructure.
Hope this helps!
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
To expand a bit on Larry's reply - Floating Drydock offers their USS MISSOURI Plan Book (or EPlan Book on CD) which details everything about the MISSOURI (and her sisters) as of 1945. This would work for your build as the ports in the superstructure didn't disappear or change all that much from one ship to the other. I would highly recommend you get the print version rather than CD, since you don't need a computer to read a book or look at the drawings. Yea, a bit old school but then you'll have something to peruse after the asteroid hits and knocks all the power out and you need something to do while waiting for the radioactive cloud to overtake us all! Seriously, the Plan Book allows measuring things that you can't do off a computer screen and cheaper than making prints over and over again. Also, the drawings in this publication are all 1/8" = 1'-0" scale and easy to read. One other note - NEW JERSEY was refitted first and is different in several details from the other 3 ships. Most noticeable is her conning tower, but there are other details, as well.
Lastly - ASSUME NOTHING!!! Find the real answer by research. There are plans available for the 1981-82 refit which I would hope you are already using for your build. These should pretty much show where the ports are or aren't on the superstructure.
Hope this helps!
Hank
Thanks for the info Hank! Looks like The Floating Drydock is out of printed copies unfortunately, so I'll just have to make sure I've got my 48 car batteries hooked up correctly to keep the laptop running after the End!
"All three of our PRINTED PAPER VERSIONS of the plan books, GATO/BALAO, Fletcher Class, and MISSOURI are OUT of PRINT"
I've notice a few difference, the conning tower you referenced, the bow of the ship, definitely the after metal decking, etc. One thing I wish I had done when I started was to just order one detail up kit (Pontos) instead of trying to add these separately....live and learn!
Here's the build I'm doing, not sure any of you have seen it....feel free to tell me where I've messed up and I'll do my best to correct any issues.
Brett - David P has provided a good link on the updated NEW JERSEY BoGP. I did not know that TFD was not keeping those Plan Books in print - they sure are a necessary reference when attempting models of those particular ships.
Your build looks like it is coming along nicely. Good luck with finding the right information. I did have that kit (sold it several years ago) so I can't recall where the ports are located or if the modified superstructure has portholes. The BoGP might help along those lines.
Hope this helps,
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
BB62vet wrote:Brett - David P has provided a good link on the updated NEW JERSEY BoGP. I did not know that TFD was not keeping those Plan Books in print - they sure are a necessary reference when attempting models of those particular ships.
Your build looks like it is coming along nicely. Good luck with finding the right information. I did have that kit (sold it several years ago) so I can't recall where the ports are located or if the modified superstructure has portholes. The BoGP might help along those lines.
Hope this helps,
Hank
Thanks Dave and Hank. I've had those plans and have been utilizing them for locating different items.
Does that port side differ much from the starboard side or was it generally a mirror image?
Does that port side differ much from the starboard side or was it generally a mirror image?
Are you talking about the "shape" of the superstructure or ??? If you look at the plan view of the ship, it's apparent that the shape of the 01 Level is not entirely symmetrical - where it cuts into the Turret 2 Barbette, the deckhouse is shaped differently. Other than that, I think pretty much the two sides are the "same". This is where some actual photos of the ship would help, as things changed thru the years and if you're able to visit the NJ in Camden, that might answer your question best!
Hope this helps,
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
I have a 1/350 Tamiya BB-63, the good old mighty mo. It is the 78018 Tamiya model. I am thinking of doing an early 1945 style of model, around the Iwo Jima or Okinawa time.
I'm just looking at detail kits at the moment. Eduard, Fly Hawk or Pontos are all options, does anyone know which is the most accurate?
Does that port side differ much from the starboard side or was it generally a mirror image?
Are you talking about the "shape" of the superstructure or ??? If you look at the plan view of the ship, it's apparent that the shape of the 01 Level is not entirely symmetrical - where it cuts into the Turret 2 Barbette, the deckhouse is shaped differently. Other than that, I think pretty much the two sides are the "same". This is where some actual photos of the ship would help, as things changed thru the years and if you're able to visit the NJ in Camden, that might answer your question best!
Hope this helps,
Hank
Hi Hank
I was referring to the portholes in general. Just placing them in the correct spots, port and starboard. As for the deck house, yep I'd noticed that. I spent a bit of time on it last night in between doors and portholes.
As for visiting the New Jersey, I'm a bit landlocked in the west. Iowa is the closet to me....just have to convince the wife that our trip to LA/Disney could afford a detour in December!
Thanks again for the assist, from everyone. Definitely is helpful!
I can only comment on Missouri, having visited her a number of times over the years and photographed as much as was accessible. There are many welded over portholes in the superstructure, even welded over blanked out w/t doors! The placement of portholes is not symmetrical as the interior of the ship is often not symmetrical in interior arrangement, especially forward superstructure on the main deck and O1 levels.
Fliger747 wrote:I can only comment on Missouri, having visited her a number of times over the years and photographed as much as was accessible. There are many welded over portholes in the superstructure, even welded over blanked out w/t doors! The placement of portholes is not symmetrical as the interior of the ship is often not symmetrical in interior arrangement, especially forward superstructure on the main deck and O1 levels.
The BOGP on HNSA does show the interior arrangement, this is especially true on the 01 level, note the the Captain's quarters, flag arrangements, this area is a real rabbit warren of various quarters for the navigator, exec and whatnot.
Fliger747 wrote:I can only comment on Missouri, having visited her a number of times over the years and photographed as much as was accessible. There are many welded over portholes in the superstructure, even welded over blanked out w/t doors! The placement of portholes is not symmetrical as the interior of the ship is often not symmetrical in interior arrangement, especially forward superstructure on the main deck and O1 levels.
Good luck!
I wonder how much of that was the result of becoming a museum ship?
I am looking for photos that show the New Jersey's mast. In particular, I'd like to find some views that show it from above. Most such pictures I have are so wide that I cannot see any details.
I am looking for photos that show the New Jersey's mast. In particular, I'd like to find some views that show it from above. Most such pictures I have are so wide that I cannot see any details.
Which era? WWII? Korea? Mid-50's? Vietnam? or '80s?
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
I am looking for photos that show the New Jersey's mast. In particular, I'd like to find some views that show it from above. Most such pictures I have are so wide that I cannot see any details.
Which era? WWII? Korea? Mid-50's? Vietnam? or '80s?
Don't know if this will help, but here is one of the NEW JERSEY's main mast as a museum ship in Camden:
(this is from NavSource)
Do you have a copy of the 1982 NJ Booklet of Gen. Plans? That might also show the mast parts in plan. I think there are also some detail plans in the back of Paul Stillwell's book NEW JERSEY. I'm away from my shop so I can't verify that.
Hope this helps,
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
BB62vet wrote:
Don't know if this will help, but here is one of the NEW JERSEY's main mast as a museum ship in Camden:
The attachment BB62Masttop.jpg is no longer available
(this is from NavSource)
Do you have a copy of the 1982 NJ Booklet of Gen. Plans? That might also show the mast parts in plan. I think there are also some detail plans in the back of Paul Stillwell's book NEW JERSEY. I'm away from my shop so I can't verify that.
Hope this helps,
That's very much. I had never seen anything like that before. I don't know how I missed that on NAVSOURCE.
Unfortunately, that picture raises more questions than it answers. I had wondered why the platform sometimes looks angled at the corners and sometimes looks curved. That answers that. Now I need to know how much is angled and how much is curved.
And what is that ramp?
The various plans I have of this area are inconsistent and at variance with with what is actually in place.