Rhino.Aop Aur wrote:What software did you use for that? It looks very good!![]()
Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
A comment was made earlier about the Missouri not having "strakes". By this does the poster mean the kit or the actual ship. attempting to follow the thread the use of indefinite pronouns leaves some confusion.
Missouri (the ship) shares the same vertical but straps joining the two rows of STS steel shell plating along the armored section of the hull.
Cheers: Tom
Missouri (the ship) shares the same vertical but straps joining the two rows of STS steel shell plating along the armored section of the hull.
Cheers: Tom
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
We'd have to find out what was being referred to. However, unless the hull is case or built in a random manner, it will always have strakes.Fliger747 wrote:A comment was made earlier about the Missouri not having "strakes". By this does the poster mean the kit or the actual ship. attempting to follow the thread the use of indefinite pronouns leaves some confusion.
Missouri (the ship) shares the same vertical but straps joining the two rows of STS steel shell plating along the armored section of the hull.
-
ArthurN
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hi Fliger747/Bigjimslade,
Thats me referring to the strakes on Tamiya Missouri's hull
The Tamiya kit has these vertical strips (strakes) moulded on the side of the hull.
WW2 photos and immediately post war shows Missouri definitely did not have them on .
My reference is Floating Dry Dock's e-book on Missour ,a very detailed reference of her.
However her 1980's version looks like she may have had them but I can't be sure.
Maybe someone who has actually visited her in Pearl Harbour can confirm
Thats me referring to the strakes on Tamiya Missouri's hull
The Tamiya kit has these vertical strips (strakes) moulded on the side of the hull.
WW2 photos and immediately post war shows Missouri definitely did not have them on .
My reference is Floating Dry Dock's e-book on Missour ,a very detailed reference of her.
However her 1980's version looks like she may have had them but I can't be sure.
Maybe someone who has actually visited her in Pearl Harbour can confirm
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
ArthurN -
In regards to your inquiry about "strakes" on MISSIOURI (et al) - are you referring to the Tamiya WWII MISSOURI kit or the '80s NEW JERSEY kit? the WWII kit certainly would not have had them.
I think what you are referring to as "strakes" are actually the overboard discharge covers that NEW JERSEY received in her 1967-68 refit and the other 3 IOWA class ships in 1980s refits. These are half round steel covers that hide the overboard discharge pipes and prevent them from spraying other ships or structures nearby. These discharges were originally short 45 els or just openings in the side of the hull but were modified in later years.
The "strakes" Flinger747 is talking about are the steel butt straps that were placed along the hull as he described and are flat against the hull, almost invisible at a distance.
Hope this answers your inquiry,
In regards to your inquiry about "strakes" on MISSIOURI (et al) - are you referring to the Tamiya WWII MISSOURI kit or the '80s NEW JERSEY kit? the WWII kit certainly would not have had them.
I think what you are referring to as "strakes" are actually the overboard discharge covers that NEW JERSEY received in her 1967-68 refit and the other 3 IOWA class ships in 1980s refits. These are half round steel covers that hide the overboard discharge pipes and prevent them from spraying other ships or structures nearby. These discharges were originally short 45 els or just openings in the side of the hull but were modified in later years.
The "strakes" Flinger747 is talking about are the steel butt straps that were placed along the hull as he described and are flat against the hull, almost invisible at a distance.
Hope this answers your inquiry,
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Those are drain pipes. There were added later on. I have seen a Tamiya MO and yes, it has those molded on. Apparently they just used the same mold as their 80's NJ.ArthurN wrote:Hi Fliger747/Bigjimslade,
Thats me referring to the strakes on Tamiya Missouri's hull
The Tamiya kit has these vertical strips (strakes) moulded on the side of the hull.
WW2 photos and immediately post war shows Missouri definitely did not have them on .
My reference is Floating Dry Dock's e-book on Missour ,a very detailed reference of her.

-
ArthurN
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thank you all for clarifying this for me and others I presume.
That's why I follow this website. So much knowledge and information.
I live in South Africa and a visit to one of the Iowas among others is on my bucket list. I drove past the New Jersey back in 2002, but I was on my way to JFK airport so could not stop!
Please keep these battlewagons preserved
That's why I follow this website. So much knowledge and information.
I live in South Africa and a visit to one of the Iowas among others is on my bucket list. I drove past the New Jersey back in 2002, but I was on my way to JFK airport so could not stop!
Please keep these battlewagons preserved
- Tobori
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:36 am
USS Iowa Camouflage Alternatives
Hello everyone,
I'm working on the 1/200 Trumpeter Iowa Battle of Leyte version. I find the Camo very boring, and I looked for alternatives and found some very nice ones that were never used. Accuracy is of no importance to me. I have never been a bolt counter and prefer a model that looks "nice". The Camo for The Battle of Leyte is just not interesting. Other designs for the Iowa are even worse.
My question is, have any of you ever used any of the alternative camos, or just made up their own? Just curious.
Thanks!
I'm working on the 1/200 Trumpeter Iowa Battle of Leyte version. I find the Camo very boring, and I looked for alternatives and found some very nice ones that were never used. Accuracy is of no importance to me. I have never been a bolt counter and prefer a model that looks "nice". The Camo for The Battle of Leyte is just not interesting. Other designs for the Iowa are even worse.
My question is, have any of you ever used any of the alternative camos, or just made up their own? Just curious.
Thanks!
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: USS Iowa Camouflage Alternatives
Which measure it i?Tobori wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm working on the 1/200 Trumpeter Iowa Battle of Leyte version. I find the Camo very boring, and I looked for alternatives and found some very nice ones that were never used. Accuracy is of no importance to me. I have never been a bolt counter and prefer a model that looks "nice". The Camo for The Battle of Leyte is just not interesting. Other designs for the Iowa are even worse.
My question is, have any of you ever used any of the alternative camos, or just made up their own? Just curious.
Thanks!
Have you looked at any of the other patterns used on the Iowa?
- Tobori
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:36 am
Re: USS Iowa Camouflage Alternatives
Yes, I looked at all the ones that were approved. I chose Measure 32 design 7a, a pattern that was never used on any of the ships. I think it's awesome, and perhaps that's why they didn't choose it. Might have been too eye catching. I think it's much nicer than the one that WAS used.bigjimslade wrote:Which measure it i?Tobori wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm working on the 1/200 Trumpeter Iowa Battle of Leyte version. I find the Camo very boring, and I looked for alternatives and found some very nice ones that were never used. Accuracy is of no importance to me. I have never been a bolt counter and prefer a model that looks "nice". The Camo for The Battle of Leyte is just not interesting. Other designs for the Iowa are even worse.
My question is, have any of you ever used any of the alternative camos, or just made up their own? Just curious.
Thanks!
Have you looked at any of the other patterns used on the Iowa?
- Three Missouris
- Posts: 137
- Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:17 pm
- Location: Tucson, Az.
Just ordered my 1/200 Missouri kit
I am finally moved into my new home an so I ordered my Missouri kit!
I have a little work to do at home to get my work space prepared.
Should be fun.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I have a little work to do at home to get my work space prepared.
Should be fun.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I am looking for measured drawing of Armored Box Launchers, Phalanx and all the Iowa class antennas and the gun directors.
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The mk 37 directors will depend on the particular ship and the date, the Mk 38 on the particular ship as there are the six and seven sided (flat backed) versions.
Good Luck!
Good Luck!
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Since BJS is drawing up a 3D MISSOURI in her 80s configuration he should be aware that the MK. 37 FC directors on board were updated versions of the directors as originally shipped in the '40s. Same true for NEW JERSEY. IOWA and WISCONSIN had their MK. 37s replaced/rebuilt in the 50s to the version that is aboard those ships today. Those Mods are visually different in that the director enclosure body was altered to a flat roof with a raised square body. See below:
IOWA/WISCONSIN had this version of the MK.37:
While the director enclosure body was different, all 4 ships in the class used the same MK. 25 radar and support apparatus (removed from NJ prior to decommissioning). The MK. 25 units were also refurbished and updated for use in the '80s/'90s versions of the ships.
Hope this helps,
Hank
Hope this helps,
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
- johndon
- Posts: 1034
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:39 pm
- Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I've just made a start on the 1/200 Iowa and do like the Measure 32 scheme as per the painting instructions but would this have been applied alongside unpainted decks? I've got the Pontos set and went for the unpainted deck just because I prefer to look to the blue.
It could just be the light but this photo suggests that she had unpainted decks with Measure 32 or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016153.jpg
John
It could just be the light but this photo suggests that she had unpainted decks with Measure 32 or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016153.jpg
John
- James M
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
- Location: Fullerton, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Her decks would be painted at that time
Here is some info regarding her camo in WWII
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893
http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016144p.jpg
January 1944. Paint changed to Camouflage Measure 32, Design 1B at Funafuti Atoll, Tuvalu.
At this point the dark color is dull black. Later it would be changed to dark blue.
James
Here is some info regarding her camo in WWII
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893
http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016144p.jpg
January 1944. Paint changed to Camouflage Measure 32, Design 1B at Funafuti Atoll, Tuvalu.
At this point the dark color is dull black. Later it would be changed to dark blue.
James
- johndon
- Posts: 1034
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:39 pm
- Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks James, much appreciated, looks like I may have to to a 'what if' then...
John
John
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Calling all Iowa fans
I'm scratch building a 192 Missouri in her 1945 configuration, which of course means she is in the measure 22 paint scheme. My question to all you "Iowans" is in regards to the color of the top surfaces of the funnels. Were they black or deck blue? I think they were probably black, but I can't say definitely from the sources that I have. I have to assume, from the pictures I have, that the upper portion of her mainmast was black and therefore these surfaces in question were also black, but I would like confirmation before I paint. Here is a picture of the Iowa during fitting out that shows the grating and the surface around the vent stacks at the top of the funnel. These are what I am talking about.
Thanks.
Larry
Thanks.
Larry
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Larry,
Per your question regarding the painting of the after stack cap - black. The after mast pole & yard arms is another matter - see photo below (same time, different view/b&w): The mast pole/yardarm do look black in the color photo, but not so much in the b&w one.
Hope this helps,
Per your question regarding the painting of the after stack cap - black. The after mast pole & yard arms is another matter - see photo below (same time, different view/b&w): The mast pole/yardarm do look black in the color photo, but not so much in the b&w one.
Hope this helps,
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks BB62.
What about the surface around the stack vents coming out of the funnel top? Do you think that would have been black too, due to soot from the funnels? I assume that's why the caps and mainmast were black.
Larry
What about the surface around the stack vents coming out of the funnel top? Do you think that would have been black too, due to soot from the funnels? I assume that's why the caps and mainmast were black.
Larry