Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Rick E Davis
Posts: 3882
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Rick E Davis »

Ahhh ... so they just modified the existing Taper-Backed directors by adding new backs where the Mk 12/22 radar electronics racks were located. Interesting. In the overhead views I have, the modified Mk 37 directors on IOWA and NEW JERSEY (and the NORTH CAROLINA AND SOUTH DAKOTA classes) looked like the Square-Backed directors, because they "squared-off" the Taper-Backs.

I thought that the earlier photo was taken from the back of the director, not the side.
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

MK 38 Directors

Post by bigjimslade »

Having hit roadblocks on the MK 37s, I thought I'd more on to the MK 38s but I am having similar issues. When I look at various photos, it looks like the various ships have different variants.

The Floating Drydock planbook shows at the back, a vertical flat section in the center. On pictures of the Iowa I think I see the two back sides coming to a point in the center. One the NJ I am seeing flat section at the rear that is sloped.

I have no measured diagrams but this one appears to show a point at the rear (as I see on the IA):
http://navsource.org/archives/01/015751e.jpg

This one shows a flat back:
http://navsource.org/archives/01/015751b.jpg

Does anyone know the story here?
User avatar
James M
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by James M »

In the 2 pictures above from the Alabama you can see the original shape of the director
There is a flat spot at the very rear where the bigger box is attached.
Then you can see the wedge shaped extensions that were added later in the bottom photo
The wedge shaped extensions don't go all the way down to the bottom. See the first photo.

Another photo that shows the wedge extension weld line
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0161045.jpg


The two references you have seen at Navsource are for the Main Battery Director

The Iowa and New Jersey have the angled back that comes to a point
http://navsource.org/archives/01/015751e.jpg

The Missouri and Wisconsin have the square back that has a flat spot at the very back
http://navsource.org/archives/01/015751b.jpg
Last edited by James M on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

I'm wondering if this is a mirror image:

http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016101c.jpg

Note the position of the walkway at the back.
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

I'm wondering if this is a mirror image:

http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016101c.jpg

Note the position of the walkway at the back.
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bigjimslade »

BB62vet wrote:DavidP wrote:
That's her in 1981 prior to her modernization
BB62 MK37 - 2003.JPG
Here it looks like the doors on that MK 37 director on the NJ have been replaced with glass:

https://research.archives.gov/id/6408803
chazi

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by chazi »

Hello

Does anybody have some pictures od uderwater part of hull taken during drydockig of battleship USS Iowa?. I would like to make some shell plating imitation on my Trumpeter model 1:200.

thanks a lot for any help
best regards
Chris
User avatar
NigelR32
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:27 pm

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by NigelR32 »

chazi wrote:Hello

Does anybody have some pictures od uderwater part of hull taken during drydockig of battleship USS Iowa?. I would like to make some shell plating imitation on my Trumpeter model 1:200.

thanks a lot for any help
best regards
Chris
Here you go mate.. on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89G2qi8nGOc theres three parts to the video.
Regards

Nigel
User avatar
NigelR32
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:27 pm

Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri period

Post by NigelR32 »

I'm sure this question has been asked here before, but with 165 pages to go through, I thought I'd just ask..

What period is the Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri OOB and how accurate is it if I wanted to depict her on September 2nd 1945? I will be getting the Pontos set for her, if that is the one to go for?

Finally, how good is the Top drawings book on the Missouri please? Is there a better plans book?
Regards

Nigel
bew69

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bew69 »

Hoping someone can help me with this. In October 1945, BB-63 is said to still be in measure 22 camo, but we know the deck was back to natural wood. An aerial photo taken at that time seems to show a large difference in the color of the turret tops and the decks of gun tubs. Additionally, the upper deck colors seem to be a different shade as well. If I were trying to duplicate this scheme with my model, what colors would be recommended? The turrets, I believe, would be deck blue (20-B). Any thoughts on what color the deck of the gun tubs should be? Here is the photo I am referring to, where she is alongside USS Renshaw:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ma3h6tPI0n4/U ... shaw+6.jpg

Thank you!
User avatar
James M
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by James M »

It looks like all the wood decks are back to natural wood color and the crew is in the middle of repainting the metal decks.
If i had to guess i would say that the metal decks are being painted deck blue.

The 5" guns have had their tops repainted light grey.
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12473
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Timmy C »

For the gun tubs themselves, perhaps there are non-skid patches on the deck, like the one on the Renshaw - the tone looks pretty similar.
De quoi s'agit-il?
bew69

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bew69 »

Thanks for the help! That was my impression also.
User avatar
BB62vet
Posts: 3163
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Location: Mocksville, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by BB62vet »

(Edited - 01/18/17) In regards to the thread several months back discussing the correct upper hull lip diameter of the IOWA class - Just to substantiate Cliffy B's findings on board WISCONSIN - his response of 2 1/2" dia. is correct - I've verified this in print in the Floating Drydock's MISSOURI Plan Book - the page number is 25 - a very small dimensional callout for the lip diameter.

So, it's nice to know that the yards built the ships correctly!!!!! :doh_1:

And once again, thanks CliffyB for your extra effort!!!!

Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
User avatar
bilou06
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am
Location: France

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bilou06 »

Dear Iowa class fans.

I have in my next project to reproduce USS Missouri in his 1948 configuration (1/700 scale). For this, I used the TAMIYA model ref.31.613, INFINI Model wooden deck, and FLYHAWK Gold Medal Edition super detail set.

But for to be correct, II need to scratchbuilt a new rear mast wich is completely different than the original one.
It's this one :

Image

Is anybody have a precise plan of this mast for to made a correct scratchbuilt ?

In the expectation of good news from you...
Best wishes from France.
Gilles
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

The Ultimate Iowa-Class Battleship/Carrier Weapon Ship

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Here is a fascinating article about a 1980s plan to turn the Iowa-Class battleships into hybrid carriers. Posting it here just in case some of you Iowa-Class enthusiasts fans missed it.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... uper-19166

Image
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
bilou06
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am
Location: France

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bilou06 »

DavidP wrote:send me your email address as I have the general booklet plans of that ship from the 1950's & that aft mast appears to be identical to your picture. it is a 7.18meg pdf file.

Thanks...I just send you PM
Gilles
MatthewB
Posts: 2269
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles and Houston

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by MatthewB »

Geezus, that thing would have been slow as Christmas with half of the boilers removed to make a "Hybrid" carrier.

And you would think they would be aware of the IJN Failures of BB/CVs.

MB
OMG LOOK! A signature

Working on:


1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

If you read the article, its clear that the model shown above is not the final version of this proposed conversion - main Turret #3 was supposed to be replaced with a missile launcher (with something like 320 surface to surface guided missiles).

12 Harriers would have served as the air arm of the platform, and the 5" guns would have been replaced as well, as I recall.

It would have been a combined platform that could bring a world of hurt to any enemy ....
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”