Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Construction of the Stirling hull is very similar to the techniques used in scratch building and not so difficult to modify during the building process and a quite satisfying project. There are pleasures in building items yourself!
: )
: )
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Calling all USS Iowa Fans
Does anyone know what the color was of the inside and outside of Missouri's aft 40mm gun tubs in the Measure 22 paint scheme. Was it 5H or 5N? I know the outside at the stern was 5N but what about the deck side of the tub? Thanks.
Larry
Larry
Last edited by lgmccauley on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
anj4de
- Posts: 280
- Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:49 am
- Location: Bavaria, Germany
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The new MENG 1/700 Missouri seems to have been released...
Available overseas already! Pics here...and I see bulkhead details!
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10471850
cheers
Uwe
Available overseas already! Pics here...and I see bulkhead details!
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10471850
cheers
Uwe
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa Fans
Don't know why it didn't post to the Iowa forum.
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12473
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Calling all USS Iowa Fans
Make sure to hit "New Reply" when you're in the Iowa class thread. If it asks you to type in a subject, then you're posting as a separate thread.
De quoi s'agit-il?
-
shane762
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I've got a question regarding the Trumpeter 1/200 Iowa class. Which would be the better starting point to convert to the USS New Jersey circa December 1944, the Iowa or the Missouri? I'm slowly gathering references to see if I want to take it on but I'm having trouble figuring which one would be the closer one. Obviously the bridge is different but I'll use the Model Monkey conversion for that. I'm leaning towards the Iowa since they seem to be closer in configuration as built but someone who has them both might have a better idea. Thanks.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
General Melchett - Blackadder Goes Forth
General Melchett - Blackadder Goes Forth
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12473
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I'm not sure what the actual parts differences are in the kits, but one thing to look for would be the Turret 2 40mm tub - Iowa had 3x20mm there, while Missouri had the same tub.
De quoi s'agit-il?
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3163
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Shane762 wrote:
Keep in mind that none of the 4 were identical, in class name only; individually the 4 ships were constructed by shipyard dictates, available materials at the time, and shipalts as they became available.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Well, historically speaking, NEW JERSEY and MISSOURI were similar, IOWA and WISCONSIN were similar. Given your stated goal, I would suggest that you purchase MISSOURI, Pontos Super Detail Deck & Fittings, and the Model Monkey bridge for 1944 NEW JERSEY. There may be other 3rd party items but I can't recall off the top of my head.I've got a question regarding the Trumpeter 1/200 Iowa class. Which would be the better starting point to convert to the USS New Jersey circa December 1944, the Iowa or the Missouri?
Keep in mind that none of the 4 were identical, in class name only; individually the 4 ships were constructed by shipyard dictates, available materials at the time, and shipalts as they became available.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Guest
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Iowa and New Jersey were similar on commissioning, except that Iowa had the 20mm tub on Turret #2. Both had the open bridge. New Jersey transitioned to the round bridge in 1944 after the open bridge was found to be inadequate, then was modified to the square bridge to bring her into conformity with the rest of the class. I believe, though I am not sure, that Iowa also had a different AA arrangement on her bow than the others with an elongated tub. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Bill Morrison
Bill Morrison
- James M
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
- Location: Fullerton, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Here is a link to the Iowa database I created.
It should help with identifying the differences
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893
James
It should help with identifying the differences
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893
James
- Voyteque
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:30 am
- Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hello Guys,
as I am currently building my USS Missouri 1/200 from Trumpeter I have a question to You. I have problem with determining what were the colors of air and gas pressured bottles attached to the superstructure.
Larry, mentioned in my thread that there was such an information in here but has disappeared due to Photobucket blockage.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance and I wish You lots of luck with Your Iowa class builds!
as I am currently building my USS Missouri 1/200 from Trumpeter I have a question to You. I have problem with determining what were the colors of air and gas pressured bottles attached to the superstructure.
Larry, mentioned in my thread that there was such an information in here but has disappeared due to Photobucket blockage.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance and I wish You lots of luck with Your Iowa class builds!
All the Best,
Wojtek
Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200
Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200
Wojtek
Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200
Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200
-
ModelMonkey
- Model Monkey

- Posts: 4125
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
- Location: USA
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
This may help.
Have fun, Monkey around. TM
-Steve L.
Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
-Steve L.
Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
- Voyteque
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:30 am
- Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Steve, Thank You kindly! It explains a lot!
All the Best,
Wojtek
Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200
Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200
Wojtek
Completed Models:
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
USS Missouri 1/200
Work in progress:
U-Boat U-552 1/48
USS Arizona 1/200
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
In wartime I thought they would all be the same color as the background bulkheads?ModelMonkey wrote:This may help.
-
ModelMonkey
- Model Monkey

- Posts: 4125
- Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
- Location: USA
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hi Tom!
Some photos indicate otherwise. The tanks here look much darker than the bulkheads.
Some photos indicate otherwise. The tanks here look much darker than the bulkheads.
Have fun, Monkey around. TM
-Steve L.
Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
-Steve L.
Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
- steinerman
- Posts: 489
- Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hey, thanks Steve!! I knew somebody had a copy of this! It's in my file now.
Larry Steiner
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
-
BB63Missouri
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:51 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The measurement you are looking for is on page 25 of the USS Missouri Planbook (paper version)
The pipe measures 2.5 inches and the depth of the waterway, where you indicated in your sketch, is 9 inches to the steel deck. The width of the waterway between this edge and where the wooden deck begins is 15 inches.
David
The pipe measures 2.5 inches and the depth of the waterway, where you indicated in your sketch, is 9 inches to the steel deck. The width of the waterway between this edge and where the wooden deck begins is 15 inches.
David