Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Trumoeter's 1/200 Iowa at least got the float plane right, even if they also had the extra level above the chart House.
As originally built, the Iowa seem to have had an extra level above the roof of her chart House, with an open bridge situated behind the conning tower and above that level. Note the height of the exposed cylindrical support beneath the mk-37 director.
Based on the photo above, that extra level was completely removed and the top of the superstructure cut back down to the level of the roof of the chart House, and a new serach light added in its place when the ship were commissioned. At this point, she seems to have no open bridge above her chart House. I believe the open bridge was later added back when the square enclosed bridge built around her conning tower.
As originally built, the Iowa seem to have had an extra level above the roof of her chart House, with an open bridge situated behind the conning tower and above that level. Note the height of the exposed cylindrical support beneath the mk-37 director.
Based on the photo above, that extra level was completely removed and the top of the superstructure cut back down to the level of the roof of the chart House, and a new serach light added in its place when the ship were commissioned. At this point, she seems to have no open bridge above her chart House. I believe the open bridge was later added back when the square enclosed bridge built around her conning tower.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- James M
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
- Location: Fullerton, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Here is a data base in regards to the Iowa and what she looked like at specific time frames.
There is a lot of useful information about a WWII Iowa
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893
James
There is a lot of useful information about a WWII Iowa
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=158893
James
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Originally the O5 level was pretty much as it is now. There was an elevated searchlight platform in front of the MK37 director.chuck wrote:Trumoeter's 1/200 Iowa at least got the float plane right, even if they also had the extra level above the chart House.
As originally built, the Iowa seem to have had an extra level above the roof of her chart House, with an open bridge situated behind the conning tower and above that level. Note the height of the exposed cylindrical support beneath the mk-37 director.
Based on the photo above, that extra level was completely removed and the top of the superstructure cut back down to the level of the roof of the chart House, and a new serach light added in its place when the ship were commissioned. At this point, she seems to have no open bridge above her chart House. I believe the open bridge was later added back when the square enclosed bridge built around her conning tower.
At some intermediate point in the war, the O5 level was cut back so that in this area it only covered the chart house. The 40mm tubs on front corners are at a level 2 feet above the O5 level. This level was extended with a bulwark to a point between the MK37 director and the conning tower.
The combination of the bulwark and the 2 feet of deck elevation might make it look like there was a new level.
When the enclosed bridge was added, the O5 deck was extended to where it is now (and close to where it was before). Then there were two steep steps to do up to the level of the 40mm guns.
-
W.H.min
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:45 am
Re: *Inj. molded plastic* Upcoming Ship Kit Releases
That is really funny, my bro. One of my pictures shows that USS Iowa got her camouflage and you insist they are all of her in early 1943.Atma wrote:Dont trust dates on this site. The pictures you have posted are all early 1943. At least the ones with no searchlight is all before 28 March 1943.She was not fully commissioned when she lucked the searchlight. And this alone is very curious to choose as a time frame for a 100+ Euro model.W.H.min wrote: However, according to some pictures from Navsource, USS Iowa didn't have any searchlight on the top of its bridge from November 1943 to 1945.
If they wanted to portray an early 1943 USS Iowa as commissioned she must look like this:
the second is a 3 months later.
Notice the difference on number #2 turret and the conning tower. Missing Searchlight from Very Fire kit is still there. The picture especially the ones with the camouflage is ealry 1944. The close one on the bridge is before march 1943.
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
"The picture especially the ones with the camouflage is ealry 1944."
?? W.H.min ??
?? W.H.min ??
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Finally finished the Missouri, in 1/192 scale, as she entered Tokyo Bay in 1945.
This thread was extremely helpful with advice and information. Thanks to everyone.
Larry
https://imgur.com/a/URRhM
This thread was extremely helpful with advice and information. Thanks to everyone.
Larry
https://imgur.com/a/URRhM
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What did you do for the hull?lgmccauley wrote:Finally finished the Missouri, in 1/192 scale, as she entered Tokyo Bay in 1945.
This thread was extremely helpful with advice and information. Thanks to everyone.
https://imgur.com/a/URRhM
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The hull was built up of various thicknesses of basswood glued together. The centers of all but the top and bottom boards were cut out to relieve any stress on the wood and also to make it lighter in weight. After shaping, the hull was sanded and various coats of shellac were applied, until I got the final finish I wanted. It was then primed and painted.
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What did you do to create the top of the shear strake extending above the deck.lgmccauley wrote:The hull was built up of various thicknesses of basswood glued together. The centers of all but the top and bottom boards were cut out to relieve any stress on the wood and also to make it lighter in weight. After shaping, the hull was sanded and various coats of shellac were applied, until I got the final finish I wanted. It was then primed and painted.
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I glued on a 1/8 strip of .005 styrene, feathered edge with Bondo filler and sanded smooth. I then glued .0010 piano wire along the top edge of the styrene. I had to use copper wire around the bow as the radius was too small for the piano wire.
In retrospect I would have used a much wider strip of styrene to give it a better physical bond.
Larry
In retrospect I would have used a much wider strip of styrene to give it a better physical bond.
Larry
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What were the colors of the fire hose, fire main risers and life rings on the Missouri during WWII?
I got one answer suggesting they hose and risers were of back ground color. So if the ship�s were in a disruptive camo job, the hose and risers would be different colors depending on where they are?
What about the life rings? Were they white? Orange? Red? Painting the, haze gray would kinda defeat their purpose.
Can anyone confirm or site a source?
I got one answer suggesting they hose and risers were of back ground color. So if the ship�s were in a disruptive camo job, the hose and risers would be different colors depending on where they are?
What about the life rings? Were they white? Orange? Red? Painting the, haze gray would kinda defeat their purpose.
Can anyone confirm or site a source?
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3163
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Chuck,
After perusing my WWII IOWA class, FLETCHER class, and various cruiser photos I can only say (without further research) that from a logical standpoint the fire hoses were NOT painted to match any particular background but were left natural - in this case a dirty white or light gray canvas color - and, in some cases, a slight yellowish tan color. I think this was the material of the hose itself, from whatever manufacturer the shipyard obtained these items. I've also noticed that the black rubber hoses on reels were NOT painted, but in fact BLACK. So, my premise being that these materials were not painted but left natural to ensure their proper function, etc. I can only cite one b/w photo that shows a bulkhead mtd. hose in the rack and it is not the same shade as it's background.
Hope this helps,
Hank
After perusing my WWII IOWA class, FLETCHER class, and various cruiser photos I can only say (without further research) that from a logical standpoint the fire hoses were NOT painted to match any particular background but were left natural - in this case a dirty white or light gray canvas color - and, in some cases, a slight yellowish tan color. I think this was the material of the hose itself, from whatever manufacturer the shipyard obtained these items. I've also noticed that the black rubber hoses on reels were NOT painted, but in fact BLACK. So, my premise being that these materials were not painted but left natural to ensure their proper function, etc. I can only cite one b/w photo that shows a bulkhead mtd. hose in the rack and it is not the same shade as it's background.
Hope this helps,
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks, Hank.
I thought the fire holes would be left in natural color. My hunch is the fire hose would be made from tough fabric like canvas, so it would be a tan or hemp color, or bleached white.
I thought the fire holes would be left in natural color. My hunch is the fire hose would be made from tough fabric like canvas, so it would be a tan or hemp color, or bleached white.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3163
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Chuck,
Thanks - just trying to provide a "logical" guess to your question. See my last post (Sun. a.m.) in Main Forum.
Hank
Thanks - just trying to provide a "logical" guess to your question. See my last post (Sun. a.m.) in Main Forum.
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
How did you carve something so large?lgmccauley wrote:The hull was built up of various thicknesses of basswood glued together. The centers of all but the top and bottom boards were cut out to relieve any stress on the wood and also to make it lighter in weight. After shaping, the hull was sanded and various coats of shellac were applied, until I got the final finish I wanted. It was then primed and painted.
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
How did you carve something so large?[/quote]
After I glued up all the boards, I marked the hull off following Floating Drydocks" hull and half breadth plan, which shows the curvature of the hull every 2". I made templates for each of the half breadth stations and used these to shape the hull, starting at the bow on one side and then the other. I just worked my way down the hull until I had a completed carved hull. I mostly used a curved chisel and a spoke shave to do the shaping, followed up with various grades of sandpaper. All in all it took me about two weeks, working about 5 hours a day to complete. Yes I am retired, otherwise it would have been a much longer process.
Larry.
After I glued up all the boards, I marked the hull off following Floating Drydocks" hull and half breadth plan, which shows the curvature of the hull every 2". I made templates for each of the half breadth stations and used these to shape the hull, starting at the bow on one side and then the other. I just worked my way down the hull until I had a completed carved hull. I mostly used a curved chisel and a spoke shave to do the shaping, followed up with various grades of sandpaper. All in all it took me about two weeks, working about 5 hours a day to complete. Yes I am retired, otherwise it would have been a much longer process.
Larry.
-
pengbuzz
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:29 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I did this one as a conversion of a "Revellogram" BB-63, about the time of the Gulf War:


I added the Tomahawk launchers and fantail landing area on the ship; still need to make all the masts, antennae and whatnot out of stretched sprue. The water is simply styrofoam cut into a couple of sheets and overlaid with crinkled tinfoil that's been painted. The water was then finished off with realistic water and it's sister product for making whitecaps.
I really need to finish this one...been sitting around a bit.


I added the Tomahawk launchers and fantail landing area on the ship; still need to make all the masts, antennae and whatnot out of stretched sprue. The water is simply styrofoam cut into a couple of sheets and overlaid with crinkled tinfoil that's been painted. The water was then finished off with realistic water and it's sister product for making whitecaps.
I really need to finish this one...been sitting around a bit.
Last edited by pengbuzz on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Does anyone have a reference that tells where the PHYSICAL frame locations are on the Iowas?
Hint: It's not every four feet throughout.
Hint: It's not every four feet throughout.
-
marinR00
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:38 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Still rough... but coming along nicely.
So many 20mm's..... !!
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
What kit is that?marinR00 wrote:Still rough... but coming along nicely.So many 20mm's..... !!

