Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

For the exclusive use of Modelwarships.com sponsors. Post your specials and in-stock notices here.

Moderators: MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, HMAS

SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Re: Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

Post by SovereignHobbies »

Bill Livingston wrote:Thank you James,

I think its the 13% I need for Hood (if I have read everything correctly!).

I presume this is a full matt paint, even at the 13%, or is the 13% NARN20 supposed to be the example with enamel in the mix, hence the greater reflectivity? In which case it really ought to be the 10% by 1941, NARN21... shouldn't it?

But then again, maybe I am overthinking everything... weathering and shading will result in variation on the model, even if less so than on the prototype, (Hood was repainted just before Denmark Strait, so should be reasonably 'clean'... especially on all the vertical surfaces).

Then there is 'scale effect'... which inclines me toward the 13% if fully matt... with heavy weathered 507A/Home Fleet Grey NARN21 (10%??) on decks... not that any of the steel decks will have a pure colour anyway...

Like EJ... I am beginning to realise that the steel decks and the rest of the ship are much the same colour, with the variation on horizontal and vertical surfaces only due to heavy weathering/wear on the decks... and the fact the decks were mixed with more or less a 'paste', making them very rough/non-reflective/prone to holding dirt/grime/wear. So any difference is likely to be the state they were in, not the actual 'colour'.

(If you look at photos of HMS Cornwall (F99) which I'm building at the moment, none of the decks look close to the base colour due to wear/grime/weathering, so I cant see Hood being a great deal different! :smallsmile: )

Anyway... there is a question in there somewhere amongst all the waffle... lets see if I can extract it.

Which should I order? NARN 20 or NARN 21?

(And when will there be some thinners available?)

Hi Bill,

We've made both 13% and 10% versions, NARN20 and 21 respectively to give a degree of freedom. The 3% does make a difference and for what it's worth I'd choose the NARN20 for an overall HFG scheme on a model and NARN21 for part of a camouflage scheme.

The 13% certainly reconciles better with photographs of overall HFG ships pre/early war.

I dare say that with suitable modelling toning (I won't say weathering because that implies rust and dirt) on a model either would look good and convincing. Unlike armour and aircraft modellers most ship modelers tend to paint in flat, solid colours with no attempt to hint at more going on.

We have plenty thinners so you should be good :thumbs_up_1:
James Duff
Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Re: Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

Post by SovereignHobbies »

Four more colours will be available this weekend;

NARN34 - 1941-1943 B.6
NARN37 - 1943-1945 B30
NARN38 - 1941-1943 Western Approaches Blue
NARN40 - 1943-1945 B55
James Duff
Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151
Cag
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

Post by Cag »

Hi All,

Hi Jamie, thanks for the heads up my order will be in Monday!

Best wishes
Cag.
Bill Livingston
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

Post by Bill Livingston »

Any news on NARN20 and NARN21?

Looking for 150 or 200ml as discussed before.

(Oh... and thinners!)

If you PM me when they are available I'll place an order on your website... or you can take an order now, in advance, I'm happy to pay and then wait... again, just PM me.

Thanks James... :thumbs_up_1:
Bill Livingston
Cambridge
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Re: Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

Post by SovereignHobbies »

I'll give you a shout Bill. We've got the NARN21 paint put by, and more NARN20 is on the way.

This project has really hammered our company bank account though (i.e. remaking a whole product line without selling the old stock off first) so we need some sales of 14ml for a bit before expending more on new tins. It hopefully won't be too long though :thumbs_up_1:
James Duff
Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Contact:

Re: Colourcoats Royal Navy WW2 model paints

Post by SovereignHobbies »

I think we're about there now with the main colours. There are a few stragglers that possibly nobody will miss for a while at least!

Available individually here:
https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/coll ... royal-navy

And we're starting on the boxed sets here:
https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/coll ... ts/british

Image
Image

Image
Image

Image
Image

Image
Image

Image
Image

Image
Image

Image

Image
Image

Image
Image

Image
Image
James Duff
Sovereign Hobbies Ltd
http://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151
Post Reply

Return to “Manufacturers and Suppliers”