1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, JIM BAUMANN, Jon, Dan K
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
more images...
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
more images...
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
more images...
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
more images...
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- Jaguar
- Posts: 428
- Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 am
- Location: Usa
- Contact:
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Good morning Jacques. Once more your work is amazing. One question, how did you get the shape of the radome.
Jorge
Jorge
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Hi JorgeJaguar wrote:Good morning Jacques. Once more your work is amazing. One question, how did you get the shape of the radome.
Jorge
1.I used a plastic ball I got in a bead shop, superglued it on a piece of plastic pipe
2.Filled the junction between the two elements with superglue and sanded it all.
3.Added a steel pin to fill the hole in the ball and fix the bottom of this to a drill for sanding
4.Glued thin wire to recreate those lines you see in photos and sanded them down to almost flat.
Last edited by silvershadow on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
-
Dadeo911
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:42 pm
- Location: Landlocked in The Great White North
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Hello Jacques,
Your work is truly amazing and very inspirational.
Thank you and please keep us updated on your progress.
Chris
Your work is truly amazing and very inspirational.
Thank you and please keep us updated on your progress.
Chris
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Awesome, thank you Chris, glad you enjoy the build. There is times I'm completely burned out and just don't have the energy to continue - your support on this forum keep the flame burning late nightsDadeo911 wrote:Hello Jacques,
Your work is truly amazing and very inspirational.
Thank you and please keep us updated on your progress.
![]()
Chris
- thank you
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- Jaguar
- Posts: 428
- Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 am
- Location: Usa
- Contact:
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Perfect. the final quality is simply perfectsilvershadow wrote:Hi JorgeJaguar wrote:Good morning Jacques. Once more your work is amazing. One question, how did you get the shape of the radome.
Jorge
1.I used a plastic ball I got in a bead shop, superglued it on a piece of plastic pipe
2.Filled the junction between the two elements with superglue and sanded it all.
3.Added a steel pin to fill the hole in the ball and fix the bottom of this to a drill for sanding
4.Glued thin wire to recreate those lines you see in photos and sanded them down to almost flat.
Jorge
- DWD
- Posts: 365
- Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:37 am
- Location: Idaho
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Looking great Silvershadow! I completely understand about the burnout. I have been experiencing the same on my build and have just kinda taken some time away and have been working on other projects. Your build is really inspiring to me to wanna start back on mine again. Your level of detail is awesome!! What material did you use for the "safety netting" below the LSO platform?
Doug
Currently building:
Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 USS Enterprise 2001
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=120496
http://modelshipgallery.com/gallery/use ... index.html
Currently building:
Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 USS Enterprise 2001
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=120496
http://modelshipgallery.com/gallery/use ... index.html
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Thnx DougDWD wrote:Looking great Silvershadow! I completely understand about the burnout. I have been experiencing the same on my build and have just kinda taken some time away and have been working on other projects. Your build is really inspiring to me to wanna start back on mine again. Your level of detail is awesome!! What material did you use for the "safety netting" below the LSO platform?
LOL you would not believe it, but it is actually nylon fabric I found that they use for brides face coverings. There is a lot of sizes, so I bought a bunch for next to nothing. It's a bit flimsy to work with, especially if you use it for catwalks, but works once it's glued down on the substructure it's pretty stable. Paint also grips well on this so yeah, works for me so far.
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- gtbred
- Posts: 2717
- Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 am
- Location: san francisco
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
I got nothing to say. 
-
Joe Simon
- Posts: 828
- Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:16 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
That looks great! Keep it coming!
-
Nino
- Posts: 185
- Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Spectacular work!
Your detailing has made me into an avid follower.
I've got the new Academy 1/600 and old Aurora 1/400 CVN-65 kits in the stash. With your postings I'll have some ideas on what can be accomplished and feel emboldened to try.
Again, Outstanding!
Nino.
Your detailing has made me into an avid follower.
I've got the new Academy 1/600 and old Aurora 1/400 CVN-65 kits in the stash. With your postings I'll have some ideas on what can be accomplished and feel emboldened to try.
Again, Outstanding!
Nino.
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Thank you Nino, Joe Simon & Gtbred, much appreciated 
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- Rob Jansen
- Posts: 117
- Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:48 pm
- Location: Mount Vernon, WA USA
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Yes silvershadow,
Amazing work, but not just that; the insight into many area's is invaluable.
I hope you don't mind but I am really cataloging some of your details.
I served on the "Big E" during "Yard-Pac" and the subsequent 1982-83 Cruise.
This was immediately after the Island lost the "Bee Hive" for a conventional RADAR suite.
After 35 years I still have an original issue my grandma bought for me right after I left the service in 1984.
Sadly I haven't built much, but I have virtually every aftermarket item for it.
I won't get into why because I tend to upset people with my views on this kit but I will say that I am really excited to see how you go about the island structure.
Because to quote a phrase that's all the rage now days "It's a dumpster fire," when it comes to accuracy.
Keep up the awesome work and Doug (DWD) I'm missing your posts too!!!
Amazing work, but not just that; the insight into many area's is invaluable.
I hope you don't mind but I am really cataloging some of your details.
I served on the "Big E" during "Yard-Pac" and the subsequent 1982-83 Cruise.
This was immediately after the Island lost the "Bee Hive" for a conventional RADAR suite.
After 35 years I still have an original issue my grandma bought for me right after I left the service in 1984.
Sadly I haven't built much, but I have virtually every aftermarket item for it.
I won't get into why because I tend to upset people with my views on this kit but I will say that I am really excited to see how you go about the island structure.
Because to quote a phrase that's all the rage now days "It's a dumpster fire," when it comes to accuracy.
Keep up the awesome work and Doug (DWD) I'm missing your posts too!!!
-Rob <><
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Thank you RobRob Jansen wrote:Yes silvershadow,
Amazing work, but not just that; the insight into many area's is invaluable.
I hope you don't mind but I am really cataloging some of your details.
I served on the "Big E" during "Yard-Pac" and the subsequent 1982-83 Cruise.
This was immediately after the Island lost the "Bee Hive" for a conventional RADAR suite.
After 35 years I still have an original issue my grandma bought for me right after I left the service in 1984.
Sadly I haven't built much, but I have virtually every aftermarket item for it.
I won't get into why because I tend to upset people with my views on this kit but I will say that I am really excited to see how you go about the island structure.
Because to quote a phrase that's all the rage now days "It's a dumpster fire," when it comes to accuracy.
Keep up the awesome work and Doug (DWD) I'm missing your posts too!!!
Wow its really great hearing from people who actually serviced on the Big E. Since I never saw her in real life, the day when I watched that opening scene of Top Gun, I wanted to build a carrier, esp this one! I guess everyone has their own flavor of how they want to express their model, but yeah, I'm trying only to model what I can produce and see from the few photos I have - fitting everything you see on the small space is always a challenge. I am really looking forward doing the island, probably top of my list of exciting things I want to model. He he its usually the case, yes I'm SO excited for this part, its going to be easy and fun, and end up with so much planning and research and figuring out how the hell am I going to approach this item. Always the fear afterwards, damn I missed this crucial detail. So far I am enjoying this build, even tho its not always smiles and smooth sailing (most cases lol) but the end result usually makes it worth wile.
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
Ok guys, time for some updates. This portion of the ship I was excited for the time to arrive to work on this, same with the stern, but kept putting it down since it seemed just so busy. Well, time has arrived to start working on this and these are the results so far.
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
the photo edge (uss enterprise "the ship") hose reels was too big for me, on photos it was not higher than the deck, so I trimmed these to make it smaller.
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
- silvershadow
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:17 am
- Location: _/\/�����\/\_ Cape Town
Re: 1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
more images
Jacques
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966
_________________
Currently working on:
1/350 CVN 65 - Project Enterprise
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=210966