Calling all Royal Navy E-class fans

Destroyers and Destroyer Escorts of all nations and eras.
DD, DDE, DE, FF, FFG, and DDR.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Terry McGrady

THe Photo Of HMS Electra was taken as it approached

Post by Terry McGrady »

The Prince of Wales to refuel in transit to Singapore . My Father is the Seaman standing next to the PO about to fire a line across
From what he told me at the time the ship was painted green blue and white
I have that photo framed and a few other ones .
After the Electra was sunk at the Battle of the Java Sea
The survivors were picked up by the US Submarine S38 Commandd by "Hank " Munson . THey were aken to Sourabaya
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

Hello Terry,
Thank you for your insightful comments.
Can you remember on which leg of the journey the photograph was taken please?
Was it taken near to the equator or in the South Atlantic on the journey between the Clyde and the calls in to Freetown and Cape Town [25th October - 5th November?
Or was it on the Cape-Columbo-Mauritius-Gan-Singapore 18th November- 2nd December Indian Ocean stretch of the journey?

If the latter that information ties in with Cain's Electra book.
Many thanks
Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ChrisC
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by ChrisC »

Are there any photos or drawings out there that show the layout of the enlarged bridge wings and their 20mm guns?
Terry McGrady

The refuelling Of the Electra as ashownin the photo ,

Post by Terry McGrady »

Was taken in the Indian Ocean according to what my Father told me .
HTH
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Re: The refuelling Of the Electra as ashownin the photo ,

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

Terry McGrady wrote:Was taken in the Indian Ocean according to what my Father told me .
HTH
Good that was what I thought the more likely.
ChrisC wrote:Are there any photos or drawings out there that show the layout of the enlarged bridge wings and their 20mm guns?
Not to my knowledge.
I have a 1942 colour photograph of 2 men working a 20mm mounting on what appears to be a wing of some sort on a ship, but the angle does not give away if it is a destroyer or another type of vessel.
User avatar
ChrisC
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: The refuelling Of the Electra as ashownin the photo ,

Post by ChrisC »

Laurence Batchelor wrote:Not to my knowledge.
I have a 1942 colour photograph of 2 men working a 20mm mounting on what appears to be a wing of some sort on a ship, but the angle does not give away if it is a destroyer or another type of vessel.
So I can fudge it and no one can say I am wrong....yet :big_grin:
ar

Post by ar »

You are being watched.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

ar wrote:You are being watched.
It's 1984 gone mad! :censored_2: :mad_1: :censored_2:
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Post by Quincy »

Laurence Batchelor wrote:
ar wrote:You are being watched.
It's 1984 gone mad! :censored_2: :mad_1: :censored_2:

That was an awesome concert in 1984. Van Halen's 1984 tour I should say! :lol_pound:
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

Quincy wrote: That was an awesome concert in 1984. Van Halen's 1984 tour I should say! :lol_pound:
Panama! :headphones_2:
User avatar
ChrisC
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Post by ChrisC »

ar wrote:You are being watched.
It's a scary world building Royal Navy models, I should go back to IJN stuff, it's safer! :lol_1:
User avatar
Mike W
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am
Location: England

Need help with Electra!

Post by Mike W »

Ok I'm doing Electra as of December 1942 and I have it mostly sussed except for 2 things. Firstly the 3' AA. I could do with some clear pics of a 3' AA mount as I will need to scratchbuild the round splinter shield and whatever base it was on. I'm using WEM's single 4' gun as its the nearest thing I can find to the 3' gun that you can buy. So if anyone can help with pics and dimensions of the round splinter shield that would be great! Overhead shots would be best if poss!
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
phil gollin
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:52 am

Post by phil gollin »

Nothing to do with "E"-class, however, if you look on the British E-Bay site at (I hope) :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-RNVR-Officers ... dZViewItem

You should find (at the bottom) copies of original photos of HMS Scylla and Stalker (and some L/M destroyers) which the seller has carefully offered in "supersize" format which (if one is that way inclined|) can be copied.

(unfortunately �195 is a bit too much for me)
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Need help with Electra!

Post by Quincy »

Mike W wrote:Ok I'm doing Electra as of December 1942 and I have it mostly sussed except for 2 things. Firstly the 3' AA. I could do with some clear pics of a 3' AA mount as I will need to scratchbuild the round splinter shield and whatever base it was on. I'm using WEM's single 4' gun as its the nearest thing I can find to the 3' gun that you can buy. So if anyone can help with pics and dimensions of the round splinter shield that would be great! Overhead shots would be best if poss!
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
Mike, If you can order the Niko 4inch guns set, the platform comes with it.



Bob Pink.
Graham Boak

Post by Graham Boak »

How about using a smaller gun from the Skywave USN equipment set, or even from the IJN set - the latter looks a bit small, but is certainly oversize for what it is meant to be.
ar

Re: Need help with Electra!

Post by ar »

Quincy wrote:
Mike W wrote:Ok I'm doing Electra as of December 1942 and I have it mostly sussed except for 2 things. Firstly the 3' AA. I could do with some clear pics of a 3' AA mount as I will need to scratchbuild the round splinter shield and whatever base it was on. I'm using WEM's single 4' gun as its the nearest thing I can find to the 3' gun that you can buy. So if anyone can help with pics and dimensions of the round splinter shield that would be great! Overhead shots would be best if poss!
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
Mike, If you can order the Niko 4inch guns set, the platform comes with it.

The mounting was set in the center of a raised rectangular wooden platform about three and a half feet above the deck, There was NO splinter shield, just a canvas wind screen.



Bob Pink.
User avatar
Mike W
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am
Location: England

Thanks but 1 more question Bob

Post by Mike W »

Do you mean the platform for the bofors was rectangular? And did this replace the searchlight platform or was it mounted on the platform?
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike
ar

Re: Thanks but 1 more question Bob

Post by ar »

Mike W wrote:Do you mean the platform for the bofors was rectangular? And did this replace the searchlight platform or was it mounted on the platform?
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike
Read the old posts on this subject. Get back to me when you have done this.
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Thanks but 1 more question Bob

Post by Quincy »

Mike W wrote:Do you mean the platform for the bofors was rectangular? And did this replace the searchlight platform or was it mounted on the platform?
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike

I actually used the gun platforms on my Electra and Encounter from the WEM O/P photoetch fret. I don't have the NIKO set in my possesion yet. It was OOS at Pac Front. when I tried to order it. Hopefully NIKO will make a 3inch gun set as it is sorely needed.

To AR:

I was extremely lucky enough to obtain your British Cruisers of World War Two at a great low price. Excellent book Mr. Raven, simply excellent!



Bob Pink.
User avatar
Mike W
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am
Location: England

I have re-read the posts

Post by Mike W »

Ar - tell me if i've missed something - the single bofors replaced the searchlight directly and the little mast would have been moved to the forward part of the searchlight platform. Also after looking at some of the pics I'm guessing the 3' gun was on the rectangular platform? Its late in the evening and I'm quite tired so I may have missed something. Also whats the dimensions of the platform? Length and width I mean.
cheers Mike
Post Reply

Return to “Destroyers and Frigates”