Calling all Royal Navy E-class fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Terry McGrady
THe Photo Of HMS Electra was taken as it approached
The Prince of Wales to refuel in transit to Singapore . My Father is the Seaman standing next to the PO about to fire a line across
From what he told me at the time the ship was painted green blue and white
I have that photo framed and a few other ones .
After the Electra was sunk at the Battle of the Java Sea
The survivors were picked up by the US Submarine S38 Commandd by "Hank " Munson . THey were aken to Sourabaya
From what he told me at the time the ship was painted green blue and white
I have that photo framed and a few other ones .
After the Electra was sunk at the Battle of the Java Sea
The survivors were picked up by the US Submarine S38 Commandd by "Hank " Munson . THey were aken to Sourabaya
- Laurence Batchelor
- Posts: 1376
- Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
- Location: Warwickshire, England
Hello Terry,
Thank you for your insightful comments.
Can you remember on which leg of the journey the photograph was taken please?
Was it taken near to the equator or in the South Atlantic on the journey between the Clyde and the calls in to Freetown and Cape Town [25th October - 5th November?
Or was it on the Cape-Columbo-Mauritius-Gan-Singapore 18th November- 2nd December Indian Ocean stretch of the journey?
If the latter that information ties in with Cain's Electra book.
Many thanks
Thank you for your insightful comments.
Can you remember on which leg of the journey the photograph was taken please?
Was it taken near to the equator or in the South Atlantic on the journey between the Clyde and the calls in to Freetown and Cape Town [25th October - 5th November?
Or was it on the Cape-Columbo-Mauritius-Gan-Singapore 18th November- 2nd December Indian Ocean stretch of the journey?
If the latter that information ties in with Cain's Electra book.
Many thanks
Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Terry McGrady
The refuelling Of the Electra as ashownin the photo ,
Was taken in the Indian Ocean according to what my Father told me .
HTH
HTH
- Laurence Batchelor
- Posts: 1376
- Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
- Location: Warwickshire, England
Re: The refuelling Of the Electra as ashownin the photo ,
Good that was what I thought the more likely.Terry McGrady wrote:Was taken in the Indian Ocean according to what my Father told me .
HTH
Not to my knowledge.ChrisC wrote:Are there any photos or drawings out there that show the layout of the enlarged bridge wings and their 20mm guns?
I have a 1942 colour photograph of 2 men working a 20mm mounting on what appears to be a wing of some sort on a ship, but the angle does not give away if it is a destroyer or another type of vessel.
- ChrisC
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm
- Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: The refuelling Of the Electra as ashownin the photo ,
So I can fudge it and no one can say I am wrong....yetLaurence Batchelor wrote:Not to my knowledge.
I have a 1942 colour photograph of 2 men working a 20mm mounting on what appears to be a wing of some sort on a ship, but the angle does not give away if it is a destroyer or another type of vessel.
- Laurence Batchelor
- Posts: 1376
- Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
- Location: Warwickshire, England
- Laurence Batchelor
- Posts: 1376
- Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
- Location: Warwickshire, England
- Mike W
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am
- Location: England
Need help with Electra!
Ok I'm doing Electra as of December 1942 and I have it mostly sussed except for 2 things. Firstly the 3' AA. I could do with some clear pics of a 3' AA mount as I will need to scratchbuild the round splinter shield and whatever base it was on. I'm using WEM's single 4' gun as its the nearest thing I can find to the 3' gun that you can buy. So if anyone can help with pics and dimensions of the round splinter shield that would be great! Overhead shots would be best if poss!
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
-
phil gollin
- Posts: 558
- Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:52 am
Nothing to do with "E"-class, however, if you look on the British E-Bay site at (I hope) :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-RNVR-Officers ... dZViewItem
You should find (at the bottom) copies of original photos of HMS Scylla and Stalker (and some L/M destroyers) which the seller has carefully offered in "supersize" format which (if one is that way inclined|) can be copied.
(unfortunately �195 is a bit too much for me)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-RNVR-Officers ... dZViewItem
You should find (at the bottom) copies of original photos of HMS Scylla and Stalker (and some L/M destroyers) which the seller has carefully offered in "supersize" format which (if one is that way inclined|) can be copied.
(unfortunately �195 is a bit too much for me)
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Need help with Electra!
Mike, If you can order the Niko 4inch guns set, the platform comes with it.Mike W wrote:Ok I'm doing Electra as of December 1942 and I have it mostly sussed except for 2 things. Firstly the 3' AA. I could do with some clear pics of a 3' AA mount as I will need to scratchbuild the round splinter shield and whatever base it was on. I'm using WEM's single 4' gun as its the nearest thing I can find to the 3' gun that you can buy. So if anyone can help with pics and dimensions of the round splinter shield that would be great! Overhead shots would be best if poss!
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
Bob Pink.
-
Graham Boak
-
ar
Re: Need help with Electra!
Quincy wrote:Mike, If you can order the Niko 4inch guns set, the platform comes with it.Mike W wrote:Ok I'm doing Electra as of December 1942 and I have it mostly sussed except for 2 things. Firstly the 3' AA. I could do with some clear pics of a 3' AA mount as I will need to scratchbuild the round splinter shield and whatever base it was on. I'm using WEM's single 4' gun as its the nearest thing I can find to the 3' gun that you can buy. So if anyone can help with pics and dimensions of the round splinter shield that would be great! Overhead shots would be best if poss!
Secondly it seems she mos likely had a single bofors gun on the searchlight platform - again I will use the WEM bofors for this but pics would help or some kinda description on how it was mounted on the platform and if the platform was modified and how?
cheers Mike
The mounting was set in the center of a raised rectangular wooden platform about three and a half feet above the deck, There was NO splinter shield, just a canvas wind screen.
Bob Pink.
- Mike W
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am
- Location: England
Thanks but 1 more question Bob
Do you mean the platform for the bofors was rectangular? And did this replace the searchlight platform or was it mounted on the platform?
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike
-
ar
Re: Thanks but 1 more question Bob
Read the old posts on this subject. Get back to me when you have done this.Mike W wrote:Do you mean the platform for the bofors was rectangular? And did this replace the searchlight platform or was it mounted on the platform?
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Thanks but 1 more question Bob
Mike W wrote:Do you mean the platform for the bofors was rectangular? And did this replace the searchlight platform or was it mounted on the platform?
The Niko 4' guns are on order.
cheers Mike
I actually used the gun platforms on my Electra and Encounter from the WEM O/P photoetch fret. I don't have the NIKO set in my possesion yet. It was OOS at Pac Front. when I tried to order it. Hopefully NIKO will make a 3inch gun set as it is sorely needed.
To AR:
I was extremely lucky enough to obtain your British Cruisers of World War Two at a great low price. Excellent book Mr. Raven, simply excellent!
Bob Pink.
- Mike W
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am
- Location: England
I have re-read the posts
Ar - tell me if i've missed something - the single bofors replaced the searchlight directly and the little mast would have been moved to the forward part of the searchlight platform. Also after looking at some of the pics I'm guessing the 3' gun was on the rectangular platform? Its late in the evening and I'm quite tired so I may have missed something. Also whats the dimensions of the platform? Length and width I mean.
cheers Mike
cheers Mike