Calling all Borodino (Бородино) class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Good pick. Build it as the Borodino, though. I learned that in this forum. It's most accurate as the B. I'm trying to source the name decals, and I'll give you a set if I end up making them.
Pick up the White Ensign PE set when you get ready to build.
53ryder
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:28 am
Location: Brier, Washington

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by 53ryder »

That begs the question is the Zvezda 'Borodino' kit using the same sprues as the 'Prince Suvorov' kit, but with different decals?


Glenn
(Please forgive me for not readling all previous 43 pages of this thread. I will at some point, just not yet!)
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Sprues are the same except Suvorov's kit has a couple of small sprues with few extra parts. However those extra parts are not enough to make anything close to real ship.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
smoke
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:24 am

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by smoke »

Hello,

I have question regarding to the smoke stacks. I have realized through this forum that the stacks provided with the Zvezda kit are far to short for the Borodino. Burkhardt Masch (BMK) from Germany is providing turned brass stacks for it. I also have realized that all ships of the so called Borodino class are different from each other.
Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Germany

smoke
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Borodino had unique funnels I am afraid. And, since my kit is of Borodino, I can't say if funnels provided with "Suvorov" are accurate or not. BUT (and it genuinely pains me to have to say that to you) since one can't make anything close to how Suvorov looked like from Zviezda's kit, accuracy of funnels doesn't really matter all that much... :sorry:
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
User avatar
Tom L.
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ohio

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Tom L. »

My apologies to the modeler whose name I don't recall, but someone here at MW used a Zvezda Suvorov kit to build Borodino by splicing in sections of funnel to correct the kit part's height....
Kronma 77
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Kronma 77 »

smoke wrote: Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?
I don't have the Zvezda kit, but you can measure the real size of funnels on this fragment of original drawing, which has a scale ruler in foots.
It`s the "Imperator Alexandr III", the ship which had the same funnels, as well as "Kniaz Suvorov", and other ships of Borodino-type.
:smallsmile:

Image
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Just to add to Kronma's post - Suvorov's funnels were 14 feet in diameter.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

I made my Borodino funnels from brass tubing, using drawings furnished elsewhere in this thread by Kronma. The drawing was different from either of the sets of funnels with the kit. I can look up the size when I get home. The biggest issue I had was the huge plating details on the kit parts that are unrealistic. Scratching up the stack caps was a pretty simple thing to do.
Image
I finished a while ago and look forward to posting pictures, but the weather has been lousy for taking pictures. Hopefully soon.
User avatar
ironclad
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by ironclad »

Funnels of Suvorov set: D=11.2 - 11.5 mm; L=33.5 mm. Some people are "editing" these funnels, adding small tubes, but for me it seems better to make a new funnels, using different plastik and metal tubes, old pens, for example.
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Here is the completed Zvezda Borodino. A very nice kit that can be made quite a bit better with a little work.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Tom L.
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ohio

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Tom L. »

That's a true beauty, Bondoman, congratulations! :thumbs_up_1:
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Sorry for not replying earlier. Had some serious problems with my computer. Great job Bandoman! Looks really impressive :thumbs_up_1:
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
User avatar
ironclad
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by ironclad »

Congratulations! Much hard and accurate work finally turned into beautiful model. :good_job:
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Atma »

Those ships with that colour scheme looks so beautiful, excellent work Bondoman :thumbs_up_1:
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Thank you much. You all are a pretty impressive group of Czarist battleship experts, so I appreciate your interest. I need to get set up to photgraph black stuff better.
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Atma »

Bondoman, can we have some more pictures of your fantastic build ?
Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Charlestonguy
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 am
Location: South Carolina USA

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Charlestonguy »

smoke wrote:Hello,

I have question regarding to the smoke stacks. I have realized through this forum that the stacks provided with the Zvezda kit are far to short for the Borodino. Burkhardt Masch (BMK) from Germany is providing turned brass stacks for it. I also have realized that all ships of the so called Borodino class are different from each other.
Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Germany

smoke
Smoke do you have a link to these? I have not been able to find them.
Thanks
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
User avatar
JIM BAUMANN
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:30 pm
Location: Nr Southampton England

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by JIM BAUMANN »

send Burkhardt an e-mail


burkhardt@modellmarine.de


Frank Spahr used the funnels on his build....
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Cheers
Jim Baumann
....I buy them at three times the speed I build 'em.... will I live long enough to empty my stash...?
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
User avatar
Charlestonguy
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 am
Location: South Carolina USA

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Charlestonguy »

JIM BAUMANN wrote:send Burkhardt an e-mail


burkhardt@modellmarine.de


Frank Spahr used the funnels on his build....
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Cheers
Jim Baumann
Thanks Jim! :thumbs_up_1:
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”