Calling all Borodino (Бородино) class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Bondoman
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Good pick. Build it as the Borodino, though. I learned that in this forum. It's most accurate as the B. I'm trying to source the name decals, and I'll give you a set if I end up making them.
Pick up the White Ensign PE set when you get ready to build.
Pick up the White Ensign PE set when you get ready to build.
-
53ryder
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:28 am
- Location: Brier, Washington
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
That begs the question is the Zvezda 'Borodino' kit using the same sprues as the 'Prince Suvorov' kit, but with different decals?
Glenn
(Please forgive me for not readling all previous 43 pages of this thread. I will at some point, just not yet!)
Glenn
(Please forgive me for not readling all previous 43 pages of this thread. I will at some point, just not yet!)
-
DariusP
- Posts: 941
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Sprues are the same except Suvorov's kit has a couple of small sprues with few extra parts. However those extra parts are not enough to make anything close to real ship.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
-
smoke
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:24 am
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Hello,
I have question regarding to the smoke stacks. I have realized through this forum that the stacks provided with the Zvezda kit are far to short for the Borodino. Burkhardt Masch (BMK) from Germany is providing turned brass stacks for it. I also have realized that all ships of the so called Borodino class are different from each other.
Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?
Thanks for your help.
Greetings from Germany
smoke
I have question regarding to the smoke stacks. I have realized through this forum that the stacks provided with the Zvezda kit are far to short for the Borodino. Burkhardt Masch (BMK) from Germany is providing turned brass stacks for it. I also have realized that all ships of the so called Borodino class are different from each other.
Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?
Thanks for your help.
Greetings from Germany
smoke
-
DariusP
- Posts: 941
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Borodino had unique funnels I am afraid. And, since my kit is of Borodino, I can't say if funnels provided with "Suvorov" are accurate or not. BUT (and it genuinely pains me to have to say that to you) since one can't make anything close to how Suvorov looked like from Zviezda's kit, accuracy of funnels doesn't really matter all that much... 
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
- Tom L.
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm
- Location: Hamilton, Ohio
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
My apologies to the modeler whose name I don't recall, but someone here at MW used a Zvezda Suvorov kit to build Borodino by splicing in sections of funnel to correct the kit part's height....
-
Kronma 77
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm
- Location: Moscow, Russia
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
I don't have the Zvezda kit, but you can measure the real size of funnels on this fragment of original drawing, which has a scale ruler in foots.smoke wrote: Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?
It`s the "Imperator Alexandr III", the ship which had the same funnels, as well as "Kniaz Suvorov", and other ships of Borodino-type.

-
DariusP
- Posts: 941
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Just to add to Kronma's post - Suvorov's funnels were 14 feet in diameter.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
-
Bondoman
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
I made my Borodino funnels from brass tubing, using drawings furnished elsewhere in this thread by Kronma. The drawing was different from either of the sets of funnels with the kit. I can look up the size when I get home. The biggest issue I had was the huge plating details on the kit parts that are unrealistic. Scratching up the stack caps was a pretty simple thing to do.

I finished a while ago and look forward to posting pictures, but the weather has been lousy for taking pictures. Hopefully soon.

I finished a while ago and look forward to posting pictures, but the weather has been lousy for taking pictures. Hopefully soon.
- ironclad
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Funnels of Suvorov set: D=11.2 - 11.5 mm; L=33.5 mm. Some people are "editing" these funnels, adding small tubes, but for me it seems better to make a new funnels, using different plastik and metal tubes, old pens, for example.
-
Bondoman
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Here is the completed Zvezda Borodino. A very nice kit that can be made quite a bit better with a little work.










- Tom L.
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:59 pm
- Location: Hamilton, Ohio
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
That's a true beauty, Bondoman, congratulations! 
-
DariusP
- Posts: 941
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Sorry for not replying earlier. Had some serious problems with my computer. Great job Bandoman! Looks really impressive 
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
- ironclad
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Congratulations! Much hard and accurate work finally turned into beautiful model. 
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Those ships with that colour scheme looks so beautiful, excellent work Bondoman 
-
Bondoman
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Thank you much. You all are a pretty impressive group of Czarist battleship experts, so I appreciate your interest. I need to get set up to photgraph black stuff better.
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Bondoman, can we have some more pictures of your fantastic build ?
Thanks in advance.
Thanks in advance.
- Charlestonguy
- Posts: 1216
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 am
- Location: South Carolina USA
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Smoke do you have a link to these? I have not been able to find them.smoke wrote:Hello,
I have question regarding to the smoke stacks. I have realized through this forum that the stacks provided with the Zvezda kit are far to short for the Borodino. Burkhardt Masch (BMK) from Germany is providing turned brass stacks for it. I also have realized that all ships of the so called Borodino class are different from each other.
Are the stacks of the Borodino identical with these of Kniaz Suwarov (which I intend to build) or are the stacks of the Zvezda kit sufficient ?
Thanks for your help.
Greetings from Germany
smoke
Thanks
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
- JIM BAUMANN
- Posts: 5705
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:30 pm
- Location: Nr Southampton England
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
send Burkhardt an e-mail
burkhardt@modellmarine.de
Frank Spahr used the funnels on his build....
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Cheers
Jim Baumann
burkhardt@modellmarine.de
Frank Spahr used the funnels on his build....
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Cheers
Jim Baumann
....I buy them at three times the speed I build 'em.... will I live long enough to empty my stash...?
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
- Charlestonguy
- Posts: 1216
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 am
- Location: South Carolina USA
Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans
Thanks Jim!JIM BAUMANN wrote:send Burkhardt an e-mail
burkhardt@modellmarine.de
Frank Spahr used the funnels on his build....
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Cheers
Jim Baumann
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford