Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I dunno, short of Artwox producing a prewar version, a re-working is going to be tough. You could, theoretically, cut out the entire triangle bodered by the inner edge of the planking and back to the bridge, and replace it with regular decking but, you'd need two new sections of regular planking. Not sure if I am being clear.
Separate topic. Who did the the Edogawa and Hirokawa Marus on the Fine Scale stand at Telforrd? And, can we have a couple of pics?
Separate topic. Who did the the Edogawa and Hirokawa Marus on the Fine Scale stand at Telforrd? And, can we have a couple of pics?
- D-Boy
- Posts: 1298
- Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
- Location: Schodack Landing, NY
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I've emailed ArtWox as to the possibility of a prewar deck kit, but no response as of yet.Dan K wrote:I dunno, short of Artwox producing a prewar version, a re-working is going to be tough. You could, theoretically, cut out the entire triangle bodered by the inner edge of the planking and back to the bridge, and replace it with regular decking but, you'd need two new sections of regular planking. Not sure if I am being clear.
Separate topic. Who did the the Edogawa and Hirokawa Marus on the Fine Scale stand at Telforrd? And, can we have a couple of pics?
So got to thinking it would be rather cool to depict this ship in the midst of conversion - a situation where the deck would be down, some armament in place, and a repainting from civil to military scheme underway - with painting incomplete, thus showing former livery and repainting all-in-one.
-
mak
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Doug,
I have GA and deck plans for the Oryoku Maru. These are pre-war. Got them from the war crimes trial folder involving this vessel.
My grandfather was a POW aboard this ship. I would be glad to share if you would share with me pics of the work in progress.
Mark Kelso
I have GA and deck plans for the Oryoku Maru. These are pre-war. Got them from the war crimes trial folder involving this vessel.
My grandfather was a POW aboard this ship. I would be glad to share if you would share with me pics of the work in progress.
Mark Kelso
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
mak wrote:Doug,
I have GA and deck plans for the Oryoku Maru. These are pre-war. Got them from the war crimes trial folder involving this vessel.
My grandfather was a POW aboard this ship. I would be glad to share if you would share with me pics of the work in progress.
Mark Kelso
Hello, Mark,
Yes, I would be very interested in seeing them. I sent you an e-mail reply
Doug
-
Jim Smith
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Edogawa Maru and Hirokawa Maru are mine.
Edogawa Maru is from Dazzle Modelworks and is shown in the gallery section under Japanese 2A type.
Hirokawa Maru is a reworking of the Pit Road Kimikawa Maru using Iwashige-san's colour scheme from his website and book (Visual Guide of Japanese Merchant Marine - Vol 1 pages 15 & 84). I'll search out some photos and will post to this site soon.
The FineWaterline group theme for this year's Telford display was Ship Camouflage - the models depicted early war 'disruptive' and late war 'China Sea' schemes.
Jim S
Edogawa Maru is from Dazzle Modelworks and is shown in the gallery section under Japanese 2A type.
Hirokawa Maru is a reworking of the Pit Road Kimikawa Maru using Iwashige-san's colour scheme from his website and book (Visual Guide of Japanese Merchant Marine - Vol 1 pages 15 & 84). I'll search out some photos and will post to this site soon.
The FineWaterline group theme for this year's Telford display was Ship Camouflage - the models depicted early war 'disruptive' and late war 'China Sea' schemes.
Jim S
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Jim: Did you have to lengthen the hull of the Hirokawa Maru or was the Kimikawa Marus hull right in proportion?
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
The hull has to be lengthened to be accurate, as it would for any of the sisters.
Thx for the ID, Jim. Hirokawa Maru looks really great. I would love to see close-ups. I was about to start a similar project but Motoyuki-san suggested I wait for the new Aoshima tooling.
Thx for the ID, Jim. Hirokawa Maru looks really great. I would love to see close-ups. I was about to start a similar project but Motoyuki-san suggested I wait for the new Aoshima tooling.
-
Jim Smith
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Quincy,Dan,
I didn't amend the hull length to make it completely accurate. I bought the model early on in my return to the hobby (over 10? years ago) and used it as a learning project for modifications, photo etch and rigging. Nowadays I do a lot more research on my models before considering them complete.
Still, at the time I was pleased with the result.
Photos soon.
If there is to be a new model of this - I look forward to completing it in pre-war livery.
Jim S
I didn't amend the hull length to make it completely accurate. I bought the model early on in my return to the hobby (over 10? years ago) and used it as a learning project for modifications, photo etch and rigging. Nowadays I do a lot more research on my models before considering them complete.
Still, at the time I was pleased with the result.
Photos soon.
If there is to be a new model of this - I look forward to completing it in pre-war livery.
Jim S
- Hen
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
There will be a new (correctly sized) Kamikawa class kit from Aoshima? Grrrr... I just finished my Kami-, Kuni- and Hirokawa Marus over last months... I didn't correct the hull length as I would have probably screwed up the kit
but I have a Kimikawa from Kobou-Hiryu waiting in my stash, it's about 0.5" longer than the plastic kits. I was thinking about converting it into a Kano Maru or some similar sized ship.
And good to hear that Scotts Endogawa Maru is ready
And good to hear that Scotts Endogawa Maru is ready
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Jim, I look forward to the pics.
I have already forgotten who mentioned the Walter F. Frost Photo collection, which is part of the City of Vancouver online archives but, OMG, what a find! He took over 13000 ship photos (mostly high rez) from approx 1930 thru mid 1970. Merchants and warships of all nations. It is quite the trove.
I find the search engine cumbersome but, upon typing in "Maru", segregated approx. 1000 photos. The vast majority are postwar Japanese vessels, but not all. No prewar tanker shots. There are several subdivisons so, a linear troll is not strictly alphabetical; new sections appear.
Anyway, in anticipation of the upcoming Aoshima Kimikawa Maru release, I'll share some interesting photos that I found there. It's unfortunate that some detail is lost when resizing them to fit this forum but, I think these remain sharp. (I did tweak one in Photoshop.) All are of Kiyokawa Maru, postwar. She was salvaged and put back into service. Of particular interest to me was the rigging detail.
I am aware that there was a postwar class built to similar specs but, her details match up perfectly with prewar details of the original class. Enjoy.
I have already forgotten who mentioned the Walter F. Frost Photo collection, which is part of the City of Vancouver online archives but, OMG, what a find! He took over 13000 ship photos (mostly high rez) from approx 1930 thru mid 1970. Merchants and warships of all nations. It is quite the trove.
I find the search engine cumbersome but, upon typing in "Maru", segregated approx. 1000 photos. The vast majority are postwar Japanese vessels, but not all. No prewar tanker shots. There are several subdivisons so, a linear troll is not strictly alphabetical; new sections appear.
Anyway, in anticipation of the upcoming Aoshima Kimikawa Maru release, I'll share some interesting photos that I found there. It's unfortunate that some detail is lost when resizing them to fit this forum but, I think these remain sharp. (I did tweak one in Photoshop.) All are of Kiyokawa Maru, postwar. She was salvaged and put back into service. Of particular interest to me was the rigging detail.
I am aware that there was a postwar class built to similar specs but, her details match up perfectly with prewar details of the original class. Enjoy.
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Because it's late on Friday afternoon, and I need a mental break................
-
ijnfleetadmiral
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am
- Location: Corinth, MS
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I'm looking for some good clear drawings of the Type 1TL and Type 2TL tankers...anyone have some they'd be willing to share? Only ones I was able to find were in Jentschura's book, and they're not clear enough for my needs. TIA for any help.

MS State Guard, 08 March 2014 - 28 January 2023
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
The best is probably from Motoyuki-san's 2nd volume. Will try to scan later.
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Sorry, had to delete the two illustrations. Dan
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
There were some copyright issues so, no go on the illustration. So, in lieu of that, here is a postwar photo I found of the 1TL Ryuho Maru. She was one of the few Kawasaki built versions, and actually finished postwar. Originally named Daiju Maru. What I find interesting is that, like some of the other late production versions, she has regained the kingposts and aft crew quarters superimposed on the aft superstructure decks of the original Kawasaki class design. Plus radar.
The hi-rez version is wonderful.
The hi-rez version is wonderful.
- Hen
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hey Doug,DougKn wrote:Hello All![]()
I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.
Thank you for your replies.
![]()
Doug
do you still need the deck plans for Oryoku Maru? I recently received the Frogfoot-Model of this ship and could scan the instructions. I think they are even 1:1 in 1/700.
have a nice day,
Hendrik
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello, HendrickHen wrote:Hey Doug,DougKn wrote:Hello All![]()
I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.
Thank you for your replies.
![]()
Doug
do you still need the deck plans for Oryoku Maru? I recently received the Frogfoot-Model of this ship and could scan the instructions. I think they are even 1:1 in 1/700.
have a nice day,
Hendrik
Yes, I am still very interested. I sent you an e-mail, don't know if you received it. Let me know if there was any problem.
Regards,
Doug
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12472
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Aoshima is making a Mamiya, the IJN food supply ship that was struck multiple times by US submarine torpedoes: http://ameblo.jp/aoshima-kumablog/entry ... 75640.html
De quoi s'agit-il?
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Thanks Timmy for posting this!
I think I saw this in the new Navy Yard issue and was wondering what she was and if she was a plastic or resin kit? Thank you for the clarification.
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Interesting. I wonder what the status of Aoshima's supposed new tool Kimikawa Maru is?