Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans

Landing ships, transports, liners, cargo ships, and merchant ships.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

I dunno, short of Artwox producing a prewar version, a re-working is going to be tough. You could, theoretically, cut out the entire triangle bodered by the inner edge of the planking and back to the bridge, and replace it with regular decking but, you'd need two new sections of regular planking. Not sure if I am being clear.

Separate topic. Who did the the Edogawa and Hirokawa Marus on the Fine Scale stand at Telforrd? And, can we have a couple of pics?
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Dan K wrote:I dunno, short of Artwox producing a prewar version, a re-working is going to be tough. You could, theoretically, cut out the entire triangle bodered by the inner edge of the planking and back to the bridge, and replace it with regular decking but, you'd need two new sections of regular planking. Not sure if I am being clear.

Separate topic. Who did the the Edogawa and Hirokawa Marus on the Fine Scale stand at Telforrd? And, can we have a couple of pics?
I've emailed ArtWox as to the possibility of a prewar deck kit, but no response as of yet.

So got to thinking it would be rather cool to depict this ship in the midst of conversion - a situation where the deck would be down, some armament in place, and a repainting from civil to military scheme underway - with painting incomplete, thus showing former livery and repainting all-in-one.
mak
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by mak »

Doug,

I have GA and deck plans for the Oryoku Maru. These are pre-war. Got them from the war crimes trial folder involving this vessel.

My grandfather was a POW aboard this ship. I would be glad to share if you would share with me pics of the work in progress.

Mark Kelso
DougKn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by DougKn »

mak wrote:Doug,

I have GA and deck plans for the Oryoku Maru. These are pre-war. Got them from the war crimes trial folder involving this vessel.

My grandfather was a POW aboard this ship. I would be glad to share if you would share with me pics of the work in progress.

Mark Kelso

Hello, Mark,

Yes, I would be very interested in seeing them. I sent you an e-mail reply

Doug
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Edogawa Maru and Hirokawa Maru are mine.

Edogawa Maru is from Dazzle Modelworks and is shown in the gallery section under Japanese 2A type.

Hirokawa Maru is a reworking of the Pit Road Kimikawa Maru using Iwashige-san's colour scheme from his website and book (Visual Guide of Japanese Merchant Marine - Vol 1 pages 15 & 84). I'll search out some photos and will post to this site soon.

The FineWaterline group theme for this year's Telford display was Ship Camouflage - the models depicted early war 'disruptive' and late war 'China Sea' schemes.

Jim S
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Jim: Did you have to lengthen the hull of the Hirokawa Maru or was the Kimikawa Marus hull right in proportion?




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

The hull has to be lengthened to be accurate, as it would for any of the sisters.

Thx for the ID, Jim. Hirokawa Maru looks really great. I would love to see close-ups. I was about to start a similar project but Motoyuki-san suggested I wait for the new Aoshima tooling.
Jim Smith
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Jim Smith »

Quincy,Dan,
I didn't amend the hull length to make it completely accurate. I bought the model early on in my return to the hobby (over 10? years ago) and used it as a learning project for modifications, photo etch and rigging. Nowadays I do a lot more research on my models before considering them complete.

Still, at the time I was pleased with the result.

Photos soon.

If there is to be a new model of this - I look forward to completing it in pre-war livery.

Jim S
User avatar
Hen
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Hen »

There will be a new (correctly sized) Kamikawa class kit from Aoshima? Grrrr... I just finished my Kami-, Kuni- and Hirokawa Marus over last months... I didn't correct the hull length as I would have probably screwed up the kit ;) but I have a Kimikawa from Kobou-Hiryu waiting in my stash, it's about 0.5" longer than the plastic kits. I was thinking about converting it into a Kano Maru or some similar sized ship.

And good to hear that Scotts Endogawa Maru is ready :thumbs_up_1:
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Jim, I look forward to the pics.

I have already forgotten who mentioned the Walter F. Frost Photo collection, which is part of the City of Vancouver online archives but, OMG, what a find! He took over 13000 ship photos (mostly high rez) from approx 1930 thru mid 1970. Merchants and warships of all nations. It is quite the trove.

I find the search engine cumbersome but, upon typing in "Maru", segregated approx. 1000 photos. The vast majority are postwar Japanese vessels, but not all. No prewar tanker shots. There are several subdivisons so, a linear troll is not strictly alphabetical; new sections appear.

Anyway, in anticipation of the upcoming Aoshima Kimikawa Maru release, I'll share some interesting photos that I found there. It's unfortunate that some detail is lost when resizing them to fit this forum but, I think these remain sharp. (I did tweak one in Photoshop.) All are of Kiyokawa Maru, postwar. She was salvaged and put back into service. Of particular interest to me was the rigging detail.

I am aware that there was a postwar class built to similar specs but, her details match up perfectly with prewar details of the original class. Enjoy.
Attachments
Kiyokawa Maru, postwar, Vancouver 1 small.jpg
Kiyokawa Maru, postwar, Vancouver 2 small.jpg
Kiyokawa Maru, postwar, Vancouver 3, Jan 1956 small.jpg
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Because it's late on Friday afternoon, and I need a mental break................
Attachments
Heian Maru, May 1932, Vancouver small.jpg
Hikawa Maru, May 1957 Vancouver small.jpg
Hikawa Maru, Vancouver, November 1934 small.jpg
Hiye Maru, Vancouver 1937 small.jpg
ijnfleetadmiral
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am
Location: Corinth, MS
Contact:

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by ijnfleetadmiral »

I'm looking for some good clear drawings of the Type 1TL and Type 2TL tankers...anyone have some they'd be willing to share? Only ones I was able to find were in Jentschura's book, and they're not clear enough for my needs. TIA for any help.
Image
MS State Guard, 08 March 2014 - 28 January 2023
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

The best is probably from Motoyuki-san's 2nd volume. Will try to scan later.
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Sorry, had to delete the two illustrations. Dan
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

There were some copyright issues so, no go on the illustration. So, in lieu of that, here is a postwar photo I found of the 1TL Ryuho Maru. She was one of the few Kawasaki built versions, and actually finished postwar. Originally named Daiju Maru. What I find interesting is that, like some of the other late production versions, she has regained the kingposts and aft crew quarters superimposed on the aft superstructure decks of the original Kawasaki class design. Plus radar.

The hi-rez version is wonderful.
Attachments
Ryuho Maru 1953 vancouver small.jpg
User avatar
Hen
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Hen »

DougKn wrote:Hello All :wave_1:

I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.

Thank you for your replies.
:thumbs_up_1:
Doug
Hey Doug,

do you still need the deck plans for Oryoku Maru? I recently received the Frogfoot-Model of this ship and could scan the instructions. I think they are even 1:1 in 1/700.

have a nice day,
Hendrik
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
DougKn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by DougKn »

Hen wrote:
DougKn wrote:Hello All :wave_1:

I am looking for a good overhead deck plan or good overhead photo of Oryoku Maru/ Kokuryu Maru and Takasago Maru. Even a photo of a well made model would suffice, especially in civilian colours.
These are for some models I am planning on making, I need to work out some deck details.

Thank you for your replies.
:thumbs_up_1:
Doug
Hey Doug,

do you still need the deck plans for Oryoku Maru? I recently received the Frogfoot-Model of this ship and could scan the instructions. I think they are even 1:1 in 1/700.

have a nice day,
Hendrik
Hello, Hendrick

Yes, I am still very interested. I sent you an e-mail, don't know if you received it. Let me know if there was any problem.

Regards, :wave_1:

Doug
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12472
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Timmy C »

Aoshima is making a Mamiya, the IJN food supply ship that was struck multiple times by US submarine torpedoes: http://ameblo.jp/aoshima-kumablog/entry ... 75640.html
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Thanks Timmy for posting this! :thumbs_up_1: I think I saw this in the new Navy Yard issue and was wondering what she was and if she was a plastic or resin kit? Thank you for the clarification.



Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Interesting. I wonder what the status of Aoshima's supposed new tool Kimikawa Maru is?
Post Reply

Return to “Amphibious, Transports and Auxiliaries”