Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Any recommendations between Trumpeter's modern Iowa class 1/700 kits, and Tamiya's 1/700 modern New Jersey kit?
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

It was posted before but I can't seem to find it again. I'm looking for the full load and light load draft, at the bow and stern, for the Iowa's during WWII?
User avatar
BB62vet
Posts: 3163
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Location: Mocksville, NC

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by BB62vet »

Here is the CAD file I created for my 1:200 scale NEW JERSEY for the Discone/Cage Antenna. It is drawn as it was built in 1967-68 without modifications made in the early '80s (minor). With the scaled dimension drawing provided on the earlier post with link, anyone should be able to make one of these items for their own use.
Discone-Cage Antenna resized.jpg
If you print it out, print it 11x17 - that's the correct size for this drawing. I'm sure you modelers are smart enough to convert to 1:350th or 1:700 scale.

Hope this helps,
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Looking at a bunch of photos from the WWII era, it looks as if the boot topping was an even stripe and didn't vary in width from the bow to stern, for changes in the depth she rides at depending on load, like they did in the later periods. I'm looking through more of my books for additional clarification. Anyone have any photos to point me to that will settle the matter so I can paint this properly?
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

DavidP wrote:the boot topping will be wider around the stern area because of the curve of the hull but will look the same as the rest of the boot topping 2 dimensionaly.
Thank you! Should be easy to mask and paint it. I guess that during this period they didn't take the time to mark the topping as per regulation, and just painted it as uniform (at least from a 2D perspective) width from bow to stern?
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks all-And Boot Toping

Post by bigjimslade »

The information contributed to making progress.
Image

For the WWII boot topping, straight from the plans:

Image
Image
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Thanks all-And Boot Toping

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

bigjimslade wrote:The information contributed to making progress.
Image

For the WWII boot topping, straight from the plans:

Image
Image
It does look like it is uniform 2D from bow to stern. And the photos that I've looked at are very deceiving....
User avatar
navalpower
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 pm
Location: Surabaya - Indonesia

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by navalpower »

anj4de wrote:Hello all

Today I received my first ever Shapeways parts...1/700 New Jersey round bridge! Here are some pictures of the real parts, we do not get to see those in the flesh all to often and Shapeways only shows "artist impressions". A spezial thanks to Steve (Model Monkey) for making those. The detail is breath taking...and my 1980ties rebuild 1/350 Missouri will get changed into a New Jersey soon as well!

cheers
Uwe


PS: Next to the now New Jersey, that once was Iowa, is my Wisconsin 2019 in the stage of having her new VLS installed...;-)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Very nice build there Uwe!! :thumbs_up_1:
bigjimslade
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Thanks all-And Boot Toping

Post by bigjimslade »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote: It does look like it is uniform 2D from bow to stern. And the photos that I've looked at are very deceiving....
The boot topping was 17" Above the waterline consistently.
At the stern, the boot topping went 12-1/2" below the waterline.
BUT at the bow, the boot topping went 5' 6-1/2" below the waterline.
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Thanks all-And Boot Toping

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

bigjimslade wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote: It does look like it is uniform 2D from bow to stern. And the photos that I've looked at are very deceiving....
The boot topping was 17" Above the waterline consistently.
At the stern, the boot topping went 12-1/2" below the waterline.
BUT at the bow, the boot topping went 5' 6-1/2" below the waterline.
Thanks for that info. I painted it this morning, as a uniform stripe, as per the John Haynes' model. So that is how she will stay. On my 1/350, I did do it as a varying width.

In all of the WWII photos I can find that show the topping, it looks to be of a uniform width though.
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Are there any clear photographs of the top of the Missouri's conning tower in 1945 to indicate whether it is painted in deck blue, or haze grey?

Also the John Haynes' model shows the tops of all the vents, bollards and capstan says haze grey and not deck blue. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I may go with it anyway....
User avatar
James M
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by James M »

This photo is just after the end of the war
Looks like the vents are still blue

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Online ... k06565.jpg

James
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

James M wrote:This photo is just after the end of the war
Looks like the vents are still blue

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Online ... k06565.jpg

James
Yeah they are. The Haynes' model appears to have some license taken. I'm still using it as a primary reference though.
User avatar
William Smallshaw
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:05 pm
Location: Evergreen, Colorado

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by William Smallshaw »

Thomas,

Painting instructions were clear, all horizontal surfaces were to be painted deck blue. Anything other than that would have violated the instructions issued to the fleet. Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though.

Bill
Thomas E. Johnson
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

William Smallshaw wrote:Thomas,

Painting instructions were clear, all horizontal surfaces were to be painted deck blue. Anything other than that would have violated the instructions issued to the fleet. Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though.

Bill
I'm familiar with the official directives. How closely they were followed from ship to ship however, I don't know, and on scale models, this makes determining historical correctness vs. when artistic license is taken, sometimes difficult.
User avatar
Aur
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:36 pm
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Aur »

Hi all,
I'm looking for an accurate, detailed plan of the Iowa class screws. Any help would be very appreciated.
Aur
User avatar
Brett M
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Brett M »

Hey everyone

After browsing all 160 pages of this thread in the past week, I've come to the conclusion that my Tamiya New Jersey is missing a few things......portholes galore!

I've been saving images as I went through the thread for location, NAVSource, using the Pontos Detail Up set instructions and using the draft plans for trying to locate all the portholes correctly. That being said, has anyone ever run across a link that shows where all of these are located? I'd like to try and place them as best I can, so the more resources the better.

Thanks for any help!
Brett Matthews
User avatar
steinerman
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by steinerman »

Hi Brett,

Not a link, but The Floating Drydock has CD that goes into detail of what's located where on the Missouri. I assume that the NJ's portholes is in more or less the same position as the Mo.
Larry Steiner


Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
User avatar
Brett M
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Brett M »

steinerman wrote:Hi Brett,

Not a link, but The Floating Drydock has CD that goes into detail of what's located where on the Missouri. I assume that the NJ's portholes is in more or less the same position as the Mo.
Thanks Larry!
Brett Matthews
User avatar
Brett M
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans

Post by Brett M »

DavidP wrote:Brett, what time period?
1982 refit period. Guess that would have been helpful to include :)
Brett Matthews
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”