Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Any recommendations between Trumpeter's modern Iowa class 1/700 kits, and Tamiya's 1/700 modern New Jersey kit?
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
It was posted before but I can't seem to find it again. I'm looking for the full load and light load draft, at the bow and stern, for the Iowa's during WWII?
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Here is the CAD file I created for my 1:200 scale NEW JERSEY for the Discone/Cage Antenna. It is drawn as it was built in 1967-68 without modifications made in the early '80s (minor). With the scaled dimension drawing provided on the earlier post with link, anyone should be able to make one of these items for their own use.
If you print it out, print it 11x17 - that's the correct size for this drawing. I'm sure you modelers are smart enough to convert to 1:350th or 1:700 scale.
Hope this helps,
Hope this helps,
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Looking at a bunch of photos from the WWII era, it looks as if the boot topping was an even stripe and didn't vary in width from the bow to stern, for changes in the depth she rides at depending on load, like they did in the later periods. I'm looking through more of my books for additional clarification. Anyone have any photos to point me to that will settle the matter so I can paint this properly?
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thank you! Should be easy to mask and paint it. I guess that during this period they didn't take the time to mark the topping as per regulation, and just painted it as uniform (at least from a 2D perspective) width from bow to stern?DavidP wrote:the boot topping will be wider around the stern area because of the curve of the hull but will look the same as the rest of the boot topping 2 dimensionaly.
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Thanks all-And Boot Toping
The information contributed to making progress.

For the WWII boot topping, straight from the plans:



For the WWII boot topping, straight from the plans:


-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Thanks all-And Boot Toping
It does look like it is uniform 2D from bow to stern. And the photos that I've looked at are very deceiving....bigjimslade wrote:The information contributed to making progress.
For the WWII boot topping, straight from the plans:
- navalpower
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 pm
- Location: Surabaya - Indonesia
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Very nice build there Uwe!!anj4de wrote:Hello all
Today I received my first ever Shapeways parts...1/700 New Jersey round bridge! Here are some pictures of the real parts, we do not get to see those in the flesh all to often and Shapeways only shows "artist impressions". A spezial thanks to Steve (Model Monkey) for making those. The detail is breath taking...and my 1980ties rebuild 1/350 Missouri will get changed into a New Jersey soon as well!
cheers
Uwe
PS: Next to the now New Jersey, that once was Iowa, is my Wisconsin 2019 in the stage of having her new VLS installed...
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Thanks all-And Boot Toping
The boot topping was 17" Above the waterline consistently.Thomas E. Johnson wrote: It does look like it is uniform 2D from bow to stern. And the photos that I've looked at are very deceiving....
At the stern, the boot topping went 12-1/2" below the waterline.
BUT at the bow, the boot topping went 5' 6-1/2" below the waterline.
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Thanks all-And Boot Toping
Thanks for that info. I painted it this morning, as a uniform stripe, as per the John Haynes' model. So that is how she will stay. On my 1/350, I did do it as a varying width.bigjimslade wrote:The boot topping was 17" Above the waterline consistently.Thomas E. Johnson wrote: It does look like it is uniform 2D from bow to stern. And the photos that I've looked at are very deceiving....
At the stern, the boot topping went 12-1/2" below the waterline.
BUT at the bow, the boot topping went 5' 6-1/2" below the waterline.
In all of the WWII photos I can find that show the topping, it looks to be of a uniform width though.
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Are there any clear photographs of the top of the Missouri's conning tower in 1945 to indicate whether it is painted in deck blue, or haze grey?
Also the John Haynes' model shows the tops of all the vents, bollards and capstan says haze grey and not deck blue. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I may go with it anyway....
Also the John Haynes' model shows the tops of all the vents, bollards and capstan says haze grey and not deck blue. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I may go with it anyway....
- James M
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
- Location: Fullerton, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
This photo is just after the end of the war
Looks like the vents are still blue
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Online ... k06565.jpg
James
Looks like the vents are still blue
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Online ... k06565.jpg
James
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Yeah they are. The Haynes' model appears to have some license taken. I'm still using it as a primary reference though.James M wrote:This photo is just after the end of the war
Looks like the vents are still blue
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Online ... k06565.jpg
James
- William Smallshaw
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:05 pm
- Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thomas,
Painting instructions were clear, all horizontal surfaces were to be painted deck blue. Anything other than that would have violated the instructions issued to the fleet. Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though.
Bill
Painting instructions were clear, all horizontal surfaces were to be painted deck blue. Anything other than that would have violated the instructions issued to the fleet. Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though.
Bill
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I'm familiar with the official directives. How closely they were followed from ship to ship however, I don't know, and on scale models, this makes determining historical correctness vs. when artistic license is taken, sometimes difficult.William Smallshaw wrote:Thomas,
Painting instructions were clear, all horizontal surfaces were to be painted deck blue. Anything other than that would have violated the instructions issued to the fleet. Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though.
Bill
- Aur
- Posts: 140
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:36 pm
- Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hi all,
I'm looking for an accurate, detailed plan of the Iowa class screws. Any help would be very appreciated.
Aur
I'm looking for an accurate, detailed plan of the Iowa class screws. Any help would be very appreciated.
Aur
On the way:
1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944
1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)
Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58
And our artworks!
1/350 Tamiya DKM Tirpitz Nov 1944
1/350 scratch-build HMS Lion never built battleship (1938)
Completed build:
1/350 AFV Club Japanese Submarine I-58
And our artworks!
- Brett M
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hey everyone
After browsing all 160 pages of this thread in the past week, I've come to the conclusion that my Tamiya New Jersey is missing a few things......portholes galore!
I've been saving images as I went through the thread for location, NAVSource, using the Pontos Detail Up set instructions and using the draft plans for trying to locate all the portholes correctly. That being said, has anyone ever run across a link that shows where all of these are located? I'd like to try and place them as best I can, so the more resources the better.
Thanks for any help!
After browsing all 160 pages of this thread in the past week, I've come to the conclusion that my Tamiya New Jersey is missing a few things......portholes galore!
I've been saving images as I went through the thread for location, NAVSource, using the Pontos Detail Up set instructions and using the draft plans for trying to locate all the portholes correctly. That being said, has anyone ever run across a link that shows where all of these are located? I'd like to try and place them as best I can, so the more resources the better.
Thanks for any help!
Brett Matthews
- steinerman
- Posts: 489
- Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hi Brett,
Not a link, but The Floating Drydock has CD that goes into detail of what's located where on the Missouri. I assume that the NJ's portholes is in more or less the same position as the Mo.
Not a link, but The Floating Drydock has CD that goes into detail of what's located where on the Missouri. I assume that the NJ's portholes is in more or less the same position as the Mo.
Larry Steiner
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
- Brett M
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks Larry!steinerman wrote:Hi Brett,
Not a link, but The Floating Drydock has CD that goes into detail of what's located where on the Missouri. I assume that the NJ's portholes is in more or less the same position as the Mo.
Brett Matthews
- Brett M
- Posts: 297
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
1982 refit period. Guess that would have been helpful to includeDavidP wrote:Brett, what time period?
Brett Matthews





