The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 am 

Quote:
Well, I received my Yankee I from Boris at Polar Bear models. It took just under two weeks from the date I ordered it to arrive. The model is exceptionally well molded and is very well detailed.

Yes, they are very detailed models and look to be spot on. Be aware that the resin is very hard if you need to remove any seam lines. Does yours have the giant mounting holes in the bottom?

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:12 am 

It does have those holes in the bottom. I found the perfect pegs to support the model on a baseboard; wooden candlesticks available in my local hobby shop doll house section or at Walmart. I am impressed with this kit, and I will order more from Boris.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:21 pm 

Holes aside, Boris' kits are very nicely detailed and as accurate as I would ever need.

I received his Golf II and Delta IV this month. Shipping was 13 days. They measure about Spot-On for length and Width. Impressive.

The Subs-n-Ships Delta IV is excellent.

Russian 667 BDRM Delta IV is listed as 167m long & 12m wide or 547.9' and 38.4' .
At 1/350 this would be 18.78" x 1.316".
Boris' Delta IV model is 18.75" long OA & 1.3" wide (Hull)

The seam on the Delta IV is between the upper and lower hull. There are minimal details in the vicinity of this seam so there is little that could be damaged by seam removal.

The Golf II is also very nice.

Still "Holey" (Mounting holes) but has the hull seam running down the center of the deck (between left and right sides) rather than between upper and lower hull so there is a very small seam on the deck. It will be a bit challenging to remove and not disturb the deck details. (Too bad we can't call it a Safety Rail)

Russian Golf II 629A Submarine is 98.4m long and 8.5m wide or 342.5'L & 28' W.
At 1/350 this would be 11.12" x .95".
Boris' Golf II model measures 11.1 " length, .9" width

One other issue is the mounting holes on this model have ridges that can be seen. These holes for mounting might require some sanding to remove the slightly raised bulge at the holes edge. Overall, the Golf II is the best Golf kit on the market. (There are no other Golf II's as kits... yet.)

My thoughts.

Subs-N-Ships are Pricey but a worthwhile and satisfying purchase. He does combine shipping if you buy 2 or more.
It is a hard resin and is difficult for me to re-scribe. I hope a few more folks will add their experiences with these kits.
Overall, I am well satisfied! Thanks Boris!

Nino

Last edited by Nino on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:58 pm 

Dear Friends

Two years ago I ordered 2 subs ready built from Polar Bear models and payed ca. Euro 500.-. Until today I never got a

model.

Best regards

animalstone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm 

So have you contacted Boris directly? I have found him to be very responsive. Was there a problem with the payment thru PayPal? Since you paid 500 Euros, were these two custom models in some way?

I hope you can get this straightened out to your satisfaction. He does a lot of business in the west and gets good ratings for his products and service.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:59 pm 

Yes, I did. I wrote with him… I have paid with Paypal and the money has arrived to B., as he wrote to me. Since many, many months I can get no answers. No e-mail returns back.

Greetings

animalstone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:11 pm 

ahoi,

I recently finished the construction of a 3d-model of the aft of K-461 in 1/72 for printing, because I want to build a diorama (28 x 20 x 8,5cm) which shows this scene (which is probably known):

I also have nearly finished both of the figures. But I really don't know where this guy "at" water is standing on. Under the rudder You can see something like a minibouy(?). So may be he stands in a boat or at a minibuoy-raft? I don't think, that he stands on one of the big buoys, but those are russsians.
Does anybody of You has any idea?
And does someone hase pics of those big buoys?

Here the 3d-mpdel:

cheers
Alex

PS: Beside I am working again at the decals for the Typhoon class (instructions sheets) and the emblems for vietnamese Kilos (Ria Vung Tau) for 1/350, 1/144, 1/72.
I think I will first release either Typhoon class or Kilo class. Most of the emblems and hull numbers of the russian subs are finished, but especially the new 636er are hard to draw.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40