The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Ayer, Ma. USA
Quote:
Well, I received my Yankee I from Boris at Polar Bear models. It took just under two weeks from the date I ordered it to arrive. The model is exceptionally well molded and is very well detailed.


Yes, they are very detailed models and look to be spot on. Be aware that the resin is very hard if you need to remove any seam lines. Does yours have the giant mounting holes in the bottom?

_________________
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for: "Azorian: The Raising of the K-129" DVD
http://www.projectjennifer.at/
"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 74
It does have those holes in the bottom. I found the perfect pegs to support the model on a baseboard; wooden candlesticks available in my local hobby shop doll house section or at Walmart. I am impressed with this kit, and I will order more from Boris.

Bill


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am
Posts: 167
Holes aside, Boris' kits are very nicely detailed and as accurate as I would ever need.

I received his Golf II and Delta IV this month. Shipping was 13 days. They measure about Spot-On for length and Width. Impressive.


The Subs-n-Ships Delta IV is excellent.

Russian 667 BDRM Delta IV is listed as 167m long & 12m wide or 547.9' and 38.4' .
At 1/350 this would be 18.78" x 1.316".
Boris' Delta IV model is 18.75" long OA & 1.3" wide (Hull)

The seam on the Delta IV is between the upper and lower hull. There are minimal details in the vicinity of this seam so there is little that could be damaged by seam removal.


The Golf II is also very nice.

Still "Holey" (Mounting holes) but has the hull seam running down the center of the deck (between left and right sides) rather than between upper and lower hull so there is a very small seam on the deck. It will be a bit challenging to remove and not disturb the deck details. (Too bad we can't call it a Safety Rail)


Russian Golf II 629A Submarine is 98.4m long and 8.5m wide or 342.5'L & 28' W.
At 1/350 this would be 11.12" x .95".
Boris' Golf II model measures 11.1 " length, .9" width

One other issue is the mounting holes on this model have ridges that can be seen. These holes for mounting might require some sanding to remove the slightly raised bulge at the holes edge. Overall, the Golf II is the best Golf kit on the market. (There are no other Golf II's as kits... yet.)

Image
Image


My thoughts.

Subs-N-Ships are Pricey but a worthwhile and satisfying purchase. He does combine shipping if you buy 2 or more.
It is a hard resin and is difficult for me to re-scribe. I hope a few more folks will add their experiences with these kits.
Overall, I am well satisfied! Thanks Boris!

Nino


Last edited by Nino on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 pm
Posts: 2
Dear Friends

Two years ago I ordered 2 subs ready built from Polar Bear models and payed ca. Euro 500.-. Until today I never got a

model.

Best regards

animalstone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Ayer, Ma. USA
So have you contacted Boris directly? I have found him to be very responsive. Was there a problem with the payment thru PayPal? Since you paid 500 Euros, were these two custom models in some way?

I hope you can get this straightened out to your satisfaction. He does a lot of business in the west and gets good ratings for his products and service.

_________________
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for: "Azorian: The Raising of the K-129" DVD
http://www.projectjennifer.at/
"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 pm
Posts: 2
Yes, I did. I wrote with him… I have paid with Paypal and the money has arrived to B., as he wrote to me. Since many, many months I can get no answers. No e-mail returns back.

Greetings

animalstone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:14 pm
Posts: 7
ahoi,

I recently finished the construction of a 3d-model of the aft of K-461 in 1/72 for printing, because I want to build a diorama (28 x 20 x 8,5cm) which shows this scene (which is probably known):

Image

I also have nearly finished both of the figures. But I really don't know where this guy "at" water is standing on. Under the rudder You can see something like a minibouy(?). So may be he stands in a boat or at a minibuoy-raft? I don't think, that he stands on one of the big buoys, but those are russsians.
Does anybody of You has any idea?
And does someone hase pics of those big buoys?

Here the 3d-mpdel:

Image

Image

cheers
Alex

PS: Beside I am working again at the decals for the Typhoon class (instructions sheets) and the emblems for vietnamese Kilos (Ria Vung Tau) for 1/350, 1/144, 1/72.
I think I will first release either Typhoon class or Kilo class. Most of the emblems and hull numbers of the russian subs are finished, but especially the new 636er are hard to draw.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 am
Posts: 83
Any chance someone has the new 1/350 Zvezda Delta IV kit and has a pair of calipers? I need some dimensions off the prop:

Image

Length A, overall length of the exposed screw boss
Diameter B, diameter of the exposed screw boss where it meets trailing edge of hull
Length C, length of the shaft up to the step
Length D, length of the stepped part of the shaft
Diameter E, diameter of the step portion of the shaft
Diameter F, diameter of the narrow portion of the shaft

Any help would be appreciated!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am
Posts: 167
I am not sure that the Zvezda 1/350 Delta IV was shipping yet. I still see it in Pre-order status.
Hope someone can update us on the quality of the kit as well as your dimension dilemma.

Are you planning on making your own props ?
If your do make brass or 3D-printed props, perhaps you might consider making propellers for the Micro-Mir 1/350 Mike and Papa kits and selling them.
These Micro-mir kits come with blades to be glued onto a plastic "shaft". Pitch and curvature is up to the modeler. Hoping they stay glued on is wishful thinking.

Nino


Last edited by Nino on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 am
Posts: 83
Nino wrote:
I am not sure that the Zvezda 1/350 Delta IV was shipping yet. I still see it in Pre-order status.
Hope someone can update us on the quality of the kit as well as your dimension dilemma.

Are you planning on making your own props ?
If your do make brass props, perhaps you might consider making propellers for the Micro-Mir 1/350 Mike and Papa kits and selling them.
These Micro-mir kits come with blades to be glued onto a plastic "shaft". Pitch and curvature is up to the modeler. Hoping they stay glued on is wishful thinking.

Nino


It's available in the UK at least. Since posting this, I've gotten some dimensions, printed the parts, and they'll go out to a mate in the UK to test fit on his kit.

I drew up the conventional 5-blade paddle screw:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/models/Submarines/Zvezda%20Delta%20IV/20200402_100351.jpg

as well as the 5-blade skewback screw:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/models/Submarines/Zvezda%20Delta%20IV/20200402_100452.jpg

As for the Miko-Mir Mike and Papa kits...yes, they are on my radar. I'm currently selling printed LA 688 and USS Ohio screws on eBay.

Ohio:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/models/Submarines/Screws/20200219_132142.jpg

LA 688:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/models/Submarines/Screws/20200115_201536-1.jpg

I've also drawn up some Oscar class screws, have two flavors, the one with the conventional cruciform 4-blade vortex attenuator on the screw boss trailing edge and the one with the more advanced 7-blade vortex attenuator, both 7-blade skewback (right hand and left hand turn naturally):

Image

...and have Kilo, Sturgeon, Skipjack, Type 212 waiting in the wings.

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 197
Location: United States
Woodstock74 wrote:


Nice work on modeling those propellers! Looking at these photos, the shape looks good but they look a bit large (perhaps it's the perspective of the photos). The Ohio should have a propeller diameter of about 19.2 feet and the 688 a diameter of about 17.8 feet.

Jacob

_________________
Under Construction:
1/350 Typhoon
1/350 Skate
1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am
Posts: 167
Woodstock74 wrote:

I've also drawn up some Oscar class screws, have two flavors, the one with the conventional cruciform 4-blade vortex attenuator on the screw boss trailing edge and the one with the more advanced 7-blade vortex attenuator, both 7-blade skewback (right hand and left hand turn naturally):

Image

...and have Kilo, Sturgeon, Skipjack, Type 212 waiting in the wings.

Image


Really nice work. I will pass around your pics/Post. Many of us want proper Props.

Thanks for the update.

Nino


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 am
Posts: 83
Nino wrote:
Woodstock74 wrote:

I've also drawn up some Oscar class screws, have two flavors, the one with the conventional cruciform 4-blade vortex attenuator on the screw boss trailing edge and the one with the more advanced 7-blade vortex attenuator, both 7-blade skewback (right hand and left hand turn naturally):

Image

...and have Kilo, Sturgeon, Skipjack, Type 212 waiting in the wings.

Image


Really nice work. I will pass around your pics/Post. Many of us want proper Props.

Thanks for the update.

Nino



I've released my Oscar II and Delta IV screws on eBay for those interested. Not being an expert on either (or, well, anything for that matter submarine-wise, babe in the woods compared to some of you guys!), they are what they are. I am willing to correct if deemed outrageously wrong. But part of it is a balancing act, getting the look right. You have to balance how the screw mates to kit hull, with that diameter driving the size of the screw boss vs. what you can find regarding the overall diameter of the screw, all subject to finding hard numbers for any of it.

The Ohio screw diameter is based off dimensions acquired from Russian sources. These were the ONLY numbers I found anywhere, and frankly the satellite photo indicated to me it is enormous and decidedly much larger than ever portrayed. Is it too big? I honestly don't know. But it's again, decidedly better portrayed than what comes with the DML/Dragon kit.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Ayer, Ma. USA
Almost positive that these links have been posted before by one of the board members:

Russian submarine screws: https://imgur.com/a/t6UjU
US submarine screws: https://imgur.com/a/IQBOi

You could make some pretty good educated guesses on size by looking at these photos. I think most of us would be very happy to get a 3 dimensional printed screw (as opposed to flat photoetch). Frankly, your propellers above look pretty damn good!! As far as dimensions, try to get as close as the photos allow by measuring other items in the photos.
I doubt that the Russians or the US Navy are going to allow you to take exact measurements. When I used to visit submarines in Groton, the guards were armed....

Attached is a photo of an Ohio R/C submarine from Bob Martin. Again, I think the shape is of prime concern and the physical dimensions are "close enough".

On a somewhat related submarine topic, there is an excellent course on nuclear power engineering (https://mragheb.com/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/ ) with very extensive chapters on just about all things nuclear. Scroll down for the numerous PDF chapters available on the various topics.

Here is the link on the Marine Nuclear Propulsion chapter of the course: Extremely detailed in both engineering and nuclear reactions. https://mragheb.com/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/Nuclear%20Marine%20Propulsion.pdf
As close as you are going to get without enlisting and surviving the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Course (Rickover College of Nuclear Knowledge). There will be a quiz later...


Attachments:
File comment: Ohio class
Ohio Class Model screw.jpg
Ohio Class Model screw.jpg [ 150.12 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

_________________
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for: "Azorian: The Raising of the K-129" DVD
http://www.projectjennifer.at/
"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 197
Location: United States
Woodstock74 wrote:
The Ohio screw diameter is based off dimensions acquired from Russian sources. These were the ONLY numbers I found anywhere, and frankly the satellite photo indicated to me it is enormous and decidedly much larger than ever portrayed. Is it too big? I honestly don't know. But it's again, decidedly better portrayed than what comes with the DML/Dragon kit.


I don't know the exact diameter, but based on satellite photos and some Navy drawings I have, the diameter is about 19.2 feet. Also, I've since found out that the 688 propeller is 18'0".

_________________
Under Construction:
1/350 Typhoon
1/350 Skate
1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 am
Posts: 83
Tom Dougherty wrote:
Almost positive that these links have been posted before by one of the board members:

Russian submarine screws: https://imgur.com/a/t6UjU
US submarine screws: https://imgur.com/a/IQBOi

You could make some pretty good educated guesses on size by looking at these photos. I think most of us would be very happy to get a 3 dimensional printed screw (as opposed to flat photoetch). Frankly, your propellers above look pretty damn good!! As far as dimensions, try to get as close as the photos allow by measuring other items in the photos.
I doubt that the Russians or the US Navy are going to allow you to take exact measurements. When I used to visit submarines in Groton, the guards were armed....

Attached is a photo of an Ohio R/C submarine from Bob Martin. Again, I think the shape is of prime concern and the physical dimensions are "close enough".

On a somewhat related submarine topic, there is an excellent course on nuclear power engineering (https://mragheb.com/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/ ) with very extensive chapters on just about all things nuclear. Scroll down for the numerous PDF chapters available on the various topics.

Here is the link on the Marine Nuclear Propulsion chapter of the course: Extremely detailed in both engineering and nuclear reactions. https://mragheb.com/NPRE%20402%20ME%20405%20Nuclear%20Power%20Engineering/Nuclear%20Marine%20Propulsion.pdf
As close as you are going to get without enlisting and surviving the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Course (Rickover College of Nuclear Knowledge). There will be a quiz later...


Thanks Tom. Yes, I've poured over those links and then some. There at least one interesting Russian language forum that is useful as well. And armed with Google translate it is easy enough to navigate. Plus, a picture is worth 1000 words...and there are tons of them (well, lots, instead of 1 or 2 for US subs). I haven't found similar of US subs other than an occasional image here and there, collected into reddit (and the link above, have that one book marked) postings. The Russian forums often offer multiple images from multiple angles, subject to the photographer's skill of course (and camera quality), and you have to go digging deep into multi-hundreds of pages deep forums.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am
Posts: 167
Great Links. I had a many of those as separate photos. It's great having them all a couple of links though. I will of course download the whole bunch.

I do like those 3d printed props. I still have a few PE versions in brass for US and Russian Subs from YMW and Flagship in my stash. If these links/photos show any disparity between my old PE, the kit's plastic "things" and the Prototype , I will do that eBay search for the 3D variety.

Thank You to everyone helping out on this PROPer thread.

Jim.


Last edited by Nino on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 am
Posts: 83
Nino wrote:
Great Links. I had a many of those as separate photos. It's great having them all a couple of links though. I will of course download the whole bunch.

I do like those 3d printed props. I still have a few PE versions in brass for US and Russian Subs from YMW and Flagship stash. If these links show any disparity between my old PE, the kit models plastic "things" and the Prototype , I will do that eBay search for the 3D variety.

Thank You to everyone helping out on this PROPer thread.

Jim.


Might need a "calling all Prop fans" thread...!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm
Posts: 186
https://tass.com/defense/1166951

MOSCOW, June 11. /TASS/. The improved Project 955A (Borei-A) strategic nuclear-powered missile-carrying submarine Knyaz Vladimir will enter service with the Russian Navy on June 12, Russia’s Defense Ministry reported on Thursday

Can someone release a 1/350 Plastic Model kit of her now please?!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alx and 11 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group