The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2237
Location: New Orleans, LA
Thanks, Dan. I really appreciate your help!

_________________
- Chris


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Posts: 7313
Location: New York City
The Ishibashi book indicates that both ships did have this director arrangement. And then I found this:


Attachments:
Mutsu, Jan 25, 1933 sm.jpg
Mutsu, Jan 25, 1933 sm.jpg [ 321.38 KiB | Viewed 3956 times ]
Mutsu, Jan 25, 1933 miship crop.jpg
Mutsu, Jan 25, 1933 miship crop.jpg [ 345.82 KiB | Viewed 3956 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 2237
Location: New Orleans, LA
You’re a lifesaver, Dan. Thank you!

_________________
- Chris


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:14 pm
Posts: 10
What i find really facinating about the Nagato class is the main Rangefinder ontop of the superstructure. Normal Rangefinders are some kind of "Turret" that turns around its axis but on Nagato its actually on a rail that moves around the superstructure. Does anyone have any info why the Nagato class had this rather unique RF configuration compared to the other IJN BB's?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:39 am
Posts: 11
Hello friends. I need advice from you :smallsmile:
Does anybody build Nagato "The Battle of the Leyte Gulf" Hasegawa 1/350? Are there some big issues with using Pontos 35029F1 IJN NAGATO 1941 Detail Up Set? Mainly asking about the wooden deck, because other things are usually easier to modify. Thanks a lot!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:22 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boro wrote:
Hello friends. I need advice from you :smallsmile:
Does anybody build Nagato "The Battle of the Leyte Gulf" Hasegawa 1/350? Are there some big issues with using Pontos 35029F1 IJN NAGATO 1941 Detail Up Set? Mainly asking about the wooden deck, because other things are usually easier to modify. Thanks a lot!


Gday. I’m not an expert on this class however I have built, and am building a second 1/350 Nagato. First one was built using all of Hasegawas etch. The second is being built with the Pontos set. What I e noticed is that the Pontos set makes quite a few changes to the kits superstructure, especially aft of the main superstructure. You can see this on their site. I think that much of the Nagato kit is based on Mutsu and Pontos have mad changes to address this.

In any case, once the horrid lines are removed from the lower hull, the kit is excellent. The Pontos set is brilliant. One of their best.

In regards to your direct question. There won’t be any problems with using the Pontos set on the Leyte version. Just be aware of changes in regards to deck placement of guns etc.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:39 am
Posts: 11
Thanks David :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am
Posts: 60
Re. Hasegawa 1/350 Nagato, there are two kits:
40024 Z24 IJN Battleship Nagato 1941
40073 IJN Battleship Nagato "THE BATTLE OF THE LEYTE GULF"

Nagato "THE BATTLE OF THE LEYTE GULF" costs more, the price difference is about 20-25%.

What are the difference(s) between those two kit versions?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Posts: 11167
Location: Calgary, AB/Surrey, B.C., Canada
Leyte has a much more beautiful box art.

But seriously: as you can see on Hobby Search, the base kit 40024 is Nagato in 1941, while the 40073 Leyte version is, of course, 1944. That means more AA guns, radars, etc.

1941: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10062628
1944: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10088435

There are photos there of the completed model as well as some of the instructions and sprues so you can compare. The quickest way to see what differs is to compare the sprue diagram at the end of the instructions and see what's shaded (not used), and what sprues are new (e.g. sprue U for 1944).

_________________
De quoi s'agit-il?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:37 am
Posts: 60
Thanks for very helpful links, that's all I needed.

Timmy C wrote:
Leyte has a much more beautiful box art.

But seriously: as you can see on Hobby Search, the base kit 40024 is Nagato in 1941, while the 40073 Leyte version is, of course, 1944. That means more AA guns, radars, etc.

1941: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10062628
1944: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10088435

There are photos there of the completed model as well as some of the instructions and sprues so you can compare. The quickest way to see what differs is to compare the sprue diagram at the end of the instructions and see what's shaded (not used), and what sprues are new (e.g. sprue U for 1944).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1059
Couldn't find a post (sorry if asked many times), but on 1/700 Nagato/Mutsu - who offers the most accurate kit to date without big stupid issues like wrong hull shapes or dimensions and so on, and has good level of detalisation without needing an enormous PE set?

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 pm
Posts: 222
pascalemod wrote:
Couldn't find a post (sorry if asked many times), but on 1/700 Nagato/Mutsu - who offers the most accurate kit to date without big stupid issues like wrong hull shapes or dimensions and so on, and has good level of detalisation without needing an enormous PE set?


For 1/700, I think the recent Nagato offerings from both Fujimi and Aoshima are both good choices. If building strictly OOB, I prefer the Fujimi kit slightly (Aoshima uses a two-piece main deck that leaves a seam across the planks, though it is small and could be hidden). Note that only Aoshima offers Nagato in her 1927 configuration with two funnels.

_________________
- Greg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1059
gscott wrote:
pascalemod wrote:
Couldn't find a post (sorry if asked many times), but on 1/700 Nagato/Mutsu - who offers the most accurate kit to date without big stupid issues like wrong hull shapes or dimensions and so on, and has good level of detalisation without needing an enormous PE set?


For 1/700, I think the recent Nagato offerings from both Fujimi and Aoshima are both good choices. If building strictly OOB, I prefer the Fujimi kit slightly (Aoshima uses a two-piece main deck that leaves a seam across the planks, though it is small and could be hidden). Note that only Aoshima offers Nagato in her 1927 configuration with two funnels.


I meant full hull though - is Ayoshima full hull too? The two funnel Nagato is a funky ship. I cannot make up my mind if I love it or hate it. the bow looks awesome, the truncated funnel is beyond ugly. :D

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 pm
Posts: 222
Just verified that Aoshima does offer one Nagato as a full hull kit in 1/700 scale: it is the 1945 version. This model has no option to build as a waterline ship as the complete hull is separated into left and right halves. Interestingly, since the molding of the hull differs from their other Nagato offerings, the 1945 version has a one piece deck with no joint seams across planking.

Reference: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10127417

_________________
- Greg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group