The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 am 

Pic showing item C a bit better

Attachment:
mysteryrope.jpg
mysteryrope.jpg [ 358.12 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

Pic showing the davit better (blue arrows are staghorn bollards, note to self)

Attachment:
MysteryDavit.jpg
MysteryDavit.jpg [ 371.97 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am 
Alright EJF. See my previous post; which is in the Moderator's pipeline.

All questions have now been answered, with the proviso that the purchases shown in your latest batch of photographs may be associated with another derrick and not the main derrick.

As you have identified: the blue arrows indicate staghorn bollards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:03 am 
EJF

Re: My post of 8 July 10.59am

An answer to your post of 8 July 7.42am was posted but appears to have been "lost" or is still under Moderator's review. If it does not appear within 24 hours, I will post a shorter version of it as I recall writing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:41 pm 

is there list and position diagram of the boats the Hood carried in 1921?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:05 pm 
Chuck,

Northcott's "HOOD: Design and Construction" published by Bivouac Books as an Ensign Special in 1975, carries a general arrangement profile and plan drawing of the ship as in 1920 showing the location of her boats, together with a table of the establishment of ship's boats as built in 1920. I can't copy the drawings but the boats are as follows: 2 50ft steam pinnaces, 1 45ft admiral's barge (this was steam driven), 1 42ft motor boat, 1 36ft sailing pinnace, 1 35ft fast motor boat, 4 32ft cutters, 3 30ft gigs, 2 27ft whalers and 2 16ft skiff dinghies. The date of the next list is 3 July 1931.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:27 am 
EJF,

It is now clear to me that my original post on the matter in question got "lost" in transfer, so as I stated I will now try to recover from memory what was in it, in reply to your post of 7.42am 8 July.

"C:" the "rope/pulley" appears to be a purchase/tackle. It is difficult to determine its exact purpose but it might be one of the working guys that were used to move the main derrick laterally when hoisting one of the boom boats in and outboard. The part to the left may be a wire rope pennant that joined the top of the purchase to the head of the main derrick thus reducing the length of the purchase itself. It was not associated with hoisting/lowering the seaboats: that was done by means of the falls; which can be seen rigged and holding the boat at the davit head. Other purchases can be seen on deck in the group of pictures in your post of 10.10am the same day. They may be associated with the main derrick or another one that was to be "worked" later.

With reference to "D." The "T" shaped fittings shown stowed inside the zareba are probably portable galley funnels. These items are to be seen frequently in other photographs of British warships of the earlier part of the 20th Century.

I had some trouble trying to determine what the "rings/hoops" are (the Royal Navy does, or did not have, "UFOs" in its stores inventory) as the whole of the object was not visible until I back-tracked to FW Allen's post of 9.56am 7 July, then it dawned on me. It is likely to be a spare, practice or ready-use lifebuoy. This is likely to have been painted dark red (possibly dark grey in war): not, please, not international orange! The "cabinet" (correctly, "locker," locked or not) and is likely to have been a stowage for the 4inch mounting's guns' crews' steel helmets.

I hope that this helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35