1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, JIM BAUMANN, Jon, Dan K

EJFoeth
Posts: 2937
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by EJFoeth »

Nice progress!

You failed to pass the boat exam though :heh:
"I don't know what this is" --> 16ft fast motor boat, aka 'skimming dish'
24ft whaler --> 27 ft whaler
27ft cutter --> 25 ft fast motor boat
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

EJFoeth wrote:Nice progress!

You failed to pass the boat exam though :heh:
"I don't know what this is" --> 16ft fast motor boat, aka 'skimming dish'
24ft whaler --> 27 ft whaler
27ft cutter --> 25 ft fast motor boat
No, it is you who passed the boat test I crested to confuse you. Well done! :lol_pound: :heh:

Now I get a better idea tho!!
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
IJNfan
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 4:02 am

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by IJNfan »

Nice progress, especially these boats. They look very nice, more so when taking account for the 1/700 scale.

As for the hull, I thin kits fine! Isn't also nice that the hulls haven't the same tone? No ship ever looks the same, maybe the Hood is just depicted with a fresher coat of paint than the Prince. (Though Honestly I find the Hood better looking in terms of colors. :mrgreen: )
Under construction: KMS Bismarck 1/350
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

IJNfan wrote:Nice progress, especially these boats. They look very nice, more so when taking account for the 1/700 scale.

As for the hull, I thin kits fine! Isn't also nice that the hulls haven't the same tone? No ship ever looks the same, maybe the Hood is just depicted with a fresher coat of paint than the Prince. (Though Honestly I find the Hood better looking in terms of colors. :mrgreen: )
While Hood antifouling is all kinds of custom, and so is PoW, the upper works paint for Hood and PoW is identical. I just havent at all weathered PoW. It goes to show that it is good to pick paint correctly if you dont plan to weather the boat. If you do - in my case it certainly darkens and one must plan for it. I think Hood looks good though, it is really about how it photographs. :)

This weekend Ill paint the deck and add all the extras and try if I have time, weather the upper works. We shall see how that looks after.
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

Painted the deck.

I really was contemplating a dark stained deck, but as Im painting her weathered, April - and there she had clean decks, so I made my mind and will go for the ship with clean deck.

Here the model lacks any kind of wash, weathering and few more deck fittings like booms, paravanes, anchor chains etc. But she is taking shape, as all main colors are in. I will lighten up the dark grey on turrets as they feel a tad too dark and then on to gloss coat and all that fun stuff!
Attachments
IMG_0183 (1).jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

I started weathering Prince of Wales, with dark grey wash for superstructures and hull, and with brown for deck. Had the ship glossed before that and of course, which naturally darkened the paint but I think once all is done it will be pretty good.

I took these shots in natural light real quick (behind a curtain) on an overcast day. It gives a good idea of how the colors look on superstructures.

Next Ill deal with some dot filters on the lower and upper hull to give it some variation. The fun part! I also need to paint up all the tiny details on the ships structures, and then do the dry brushing to bring up the details.

I also noticed few areas that would be good to touch up in these close ups, which is kind of the point of taking closeups of the model. Only then you really notice the problems. :D
Attachments
IMG_0261 (1).jpg
IMG_02655.jpg
IMG_0266f.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
Themongoose
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am
Location: Cincinnati

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by Themongoose »

love the color tone to the whole model. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more on how you detailed the weld lines on the hull. Have read through your description a couple times and I really like the results.
In the shipyard - Trumpeter 1/350 USS Kitty Hawk
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

Themongoose wrote:love the color tone to the whole model. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more on how you detailed the weld lines on the hull. Have read through your description a couple times and I really like the results.
Thanks!

So I think the the hull seams were an issue and the bow is much bigger issue as in my effort to glue it all i put too much and it warped the bow. I ended up filling the portions on the lower part, and gave a bit more putty. The whole thing is embarrassing frankly and I didn't have good pics.

Regarding all of the hull proper, I used new fresh putty from Tamiya applied in small points. Sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper. Then there is a trick - boot topping, with wear on it allows to hide any issues on hull joints. I think it worked overall as things look fairly seamless. :)
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
marijn van gils
Posts: 2750
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by marijn van gils »

Themongoose wrote:love the color tone to the whole model.
+1! :thumbs_up_1:
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by Dan K »

Great progress.
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

Dan K wrote:Great progress.
marijn van gils wrote:
Themongoose wrote:love the color tone to the whole model.
+1! :thumbs_up_1:
Thanks gents! Here is some progress shots.

I used putty to cover all motorboats, fine as they are. I like that look. I dont know if I should cover in canvas all three boats on boat deck that are Matrioshka-dolled, or each boat needs a canvas of sorts, or none at all. Dont know so probably none at all for now. If you look close enough you will see one of the boats stern is exposed to show off some detail. I am copying one of the photos from top down for this.

I have used some weathering pigments (soot) on the funnel tops, to darken them slightly. On pics they lookdarker so they are done that way. I hope that works.

It might appear close to ready but of course, it is not even close.
Attachments
image (16)D.jpg
image (14)D.jpg
image (15)D.jpg
image (17)Ds.jpg
Last edited by pascalemod on Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
zs180
Posts: 680
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by zs180 »

Great paint job and weathering. How you can paint the deck after the small fittings have been attached is beyond me!
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Post by pascalemod »

zs180 wrote:Great paint job and weathering. How you can paint the deck after the small fittings have been attached is beyond me!
THANK YOU for the nice words, your Barham is mind blowingly beautiful, and I only wish to have that skill level!

The deck masking sheet has been a huge help. Frankly, I wont paint decks in future without it if I can help it. I dont know how I went on without. With magnifying glass and tweezers, and liquid mask to aid in some tight spots, painting the deck, masking, spray painting the fittings - all of that was fairly easy. The over-spray was mostly corrected to the point you cant see it anymore.

Next, I need to do the following on the ship, even if it looks almost finished:
- sort out masts, Im deciding if white band should be added on the Main mast or not. Gonna pop into CASF on that I guess.
- add the rafts as per photos, whole lot of them (30? ish).
- Add davits, 14 of them
- add the lifeboats into place, darken the canvas covers (too light atm).
- fix the plane into place - does it need a cradle if on rails on deck? probably... means scratch building
- make some banana bread
- deck railings
- rigging
- props
- flags and flag staffs
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Post by pascalemod »

Slow progress this week, but manage to just about sort out the 12 davits and all the 54 rafts... :woo_hoo:

All kind of displayed here...

Next items on the list then as per above. I kind of dont like this part of the build - 2 months of work and now IM pretty exhausted. :D
Attachments
8D3D628D-4066-4911-8E48-4377C8987824.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Post by pascalemod »

I am now looking at railings and mast radars next, followed by rigging.

PoW is starting to look good to me. It should be an exciting moment but high pace of building - 2 months for me - feels like Im quite tired of the build. :) Hope to finish it next few weeks!.
Attachments
4FBE4D35-853B-4DC7-AADD-248357716F3F.jpg
IMG_0675s.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Post by pascalemod »

I have installed all railings and started on the rigging. This seems to be tricker than I originally thought - a pattern that keeps repeating with this build.

These are working shots, not great quality it seems but I plan to roll out a full shoot for this model soon enough, I hope.
Attachments
All railings installed
All railings installed
Started on rigging
Started on rigging
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
Mr. Church
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Post by Mr. Church »

pascalemod wrote:This seems to be tricker than I originally thought - a pattern that keeps repeating with this build.
Haha I know the feeling. She looks very well.
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Post by pascalemod »

I started doing the rather tricky rigging. It has taken me quite a lot of hours just to get to this phase.
The main issue will be some locations where to tie forward rig, plus the tension rigging between masts. This required me to change up my usual favored tungsten wire for the Caenis 20 Den thread. Not a big fan of it but I can give it good tension - shall see if it works. :cool_1:
Attachments
46D63E00-F35B-4FCB-AAEE-ECAC83D5AD6B (1).jpg
IMG_1304 (2).jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Post by pascalemod »

Prince of Wales 1/700 Flyhawk is done.

I will do a lot more better pics I hope, but for now I gotta say finally the kit that was started few years back is completed after a bunch of modifications.

It is a great feeling to have it ready next to three other Denmark Strait combatants and I plan to finally do a good picture post and gallery submissions for all. :woo_hoo:
Attachments
IMG_1611.jpg
IMG_1608.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
kurusu
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:33 am

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by kurusu »

Truly impressive. :thumbs_up_1:

Bravo!
Post Reply

Return to “Works in Progress”