The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Posts: 1838
Location: Mocksville, NC
I stand corrected - the loading I-beams are bolted into the turret ceiling, rather than welded as I earlier stated - James M is correct. Here is a photo of Turret 3 on WISCONSIN (current):
Attachment:
Resized - Turret 3 Davit_1.jpg
Resized - Turret 3 Davit_1.jpg [ 190.2 KiB | Viewed 917 times ]


Hope this helps!

_________________
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late '40 1:200
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Posts: 3242
Location: equidistant to everywhere
James M wrote:

Here is a picture of Turret One almost in alignment with the strike down hatches.
You can see them just behind the turret, teardrop shaped
http://navsource.org/archives/01/062/016211.jpg

James



Never noticed they had lateral bracing wires

_________________
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 246
Location: Fullerton, CA
Here's a picture of Iowa's turret 3 with the boom installed pointing inward for storage.
http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016155a.jpg

James


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Posts: 3242
Location: equidistant to everywhere
James M wrote:
Here's a picture of Iowa's turret 3 with the boom installed pointing inward for storage.
http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016155a.jpg

James



Interesting, the crane on her fantail does not seem to be the same model the class carried during WWII. The WWII crane arm were made of round steel tubes welded into a truss. The crane in the photo seems to be made from flat plate steel with weight saving cuts. It is built more like the aircraft crane on many WWII cruisers.

I can’t see any advantage to reversing it for storage. Even though it look tiny compared to the turret, it must be a beast for men the climbing to the turret top to unbolt it and move it. The pulley wheel must also be unbolted and stowed somewhere else for the arm to properly reverse. Is there some modification to the structures around the turret that will cause boom to foul something while the turret trains unless it is kept out of the way?

_________________
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:30 pm
Posts: 246
Location: Fullerton, CA
Same aircraft crane she started with, its just been reinforced.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016167.jpg

The work was done when they brought her out of mothballs for the Korean war.
Why it would need to be reinforced is a bigger question, they reinforced it when the removed the catapults.
At that point the crane wasn't really needed.

James


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 2857
need a crane for the ship's boat. http://navsource.org/archives/01/061/016137c.jpg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Posts: 1272
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Are the correct 5” gun houses from I believe Shapeways worth the $250 for a set of 10 for the 1/200 Missouri worth the high cost vs the ones that come with the kit, which I believe are the type of 5” gun houses used on cruisers and not battleships?
It’s an awful expensive correction upgrade when you have to work on a budget....

_________________
Thomas E. Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Posts: 1838
Location: Mocksville, NC
T. E. Johnson wrote:
Quote:
Are the correct 5” gun houses from I believe Shapeways worth the $250 for a set of 10 for the 1/200 Missouri worth the high cost vs the ones that come with the kit, which I believe are the type of 5” gun houses used on cruisers and not battleships?
It’s an awful expensive correction upgrade when you have to work on a budget....

As I mentioned on my USS NEW JERSEY build several years ago, the Trumpeter kit 5"/38 gun mounts are INCORRECT for modern U.S. battleships (IOWA, NORTH CAROLINA, SODAK classes). Those kit mounts belong as you said on cruisers.

I purchased the Model Monkey Dual 5"/38 cal gun mounts which he offers for the 1:200 scale MISSOURI & IOWA Trumpeter models. I highly recommend spending the money on them. The ones he NOW produces are resin 3D printed items and not the std. plastic version that Shapeways still sells. You would go thru his website, etc. rather than Shapeways.

Yes, it is an expense - I fully understand that - and when I discovered this HUGE Trumpeter mistake I almost gagged, but....in the end realized for everything else I was putting into the model, I could not afford to end up displaying a model of this size and quality with incorrect mounts. Just my personal feelings.

Hope this helps,

Hank

_________________
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late '40 1:200
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Posts: 1272
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
BB62vet wrote:
T. E. Johnson wrote:
Quote:
Are the correct 5” gun houses from I believe Shapeways worth the $250 for a set of 10 for the 1/200 Missouri worth the high cost vs the ones that come with the kit, which I believe are the type of 5” gun houses used on cruisers and not battleships?
It’s an awful expensive correction upgrade when you have to work on a budget....

As I mentioned on my USS NEW JERSEY build several years ago, the Trumpeter kit 5"/38 gun mounts are INCORRECT for modern U.S. battleships (IOWA, NORTH CAROLINA, SODAK classes). Those kit mounts belong as you said on cruisers.

I purchased the Model Monkey Dual 5"/38 cal gun mounts which he offers for the 1:200 scale MISSOURI & IOWA Trumpeter models. I highly recommend spending the money on them. The ones he NOW produces are resin 3D printed items and not the std. plastic version that Shapeways still sells. You would go thru his website, etc. rather than Shapeways.

Yes, it is an expense - I fully understand that - and when I discovered this HUGE Trumpeter mistake I almost gagged, but....in the end realized for everything else I was putting into the model, I could not afford to end up displaying a model of this size and quality with incorrect mounts. Just my personal feelings.

Hope this helps,

Hank


Thank’s for your insight Hank. I still need to shell out the $$$ for the 3D printed 40mm & 20mm guns for the model, as well as the 3D printed gun tubs for all the quad mounts. This is the first and last 1/200 model I’m going aftermarket for. All the other 1/200 kits are getting built from the box with the exception of some 3D printed parts that might make building the ship easier.....

_________________
Thomas E. Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:19 am 
Offline
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Posts: 3568
Location: USA
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
Are the correct 5” gun houses from I believe Shapeways worth the $250 for a set of 10 for the 1/200 Missouri worth the high cost vs the ones that come with the kit, which I believe are the type of 5” gun houses used on cruisers and not battleships?
It’s an awful expensive correction upgrade when you have to work on a budget....

Hi Tom,

Ten Model Monkey 1/200 scale 5"/38 Mk.28 mounts for fast battleships cost $80, printed in gray resin available directly from me (photos below). I hope that much better fits your budget.

Cheers!


Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-200 5in38 Mk28 Mounts for Fast Battleships (2) a.jpg
Model Monkey 1-200 5in38 Mk28 Mounts for Fast Battleships (2) a.jpg [ 166.98 KiB | Viewed 677 times ]
Model Monkey 1-200 5in38 Mk28 Mounts for Fast Battleships (2) d.jpg
Model Monkey 1-200 5in38 Mk28 Mounts for Fast Battleships (2) d.jpg [ 113.58 KiB | Viewed 677 times ]
Model Monkey 1-200 5in38 Mk28 Mounts for Fast Battleships (2) c.jpg
Model Monkey 1-200 5in38 Mk28 Mounts for Fast Battleships (2) c.jpg [ 156.89 KiB | Viewed 677 times ]

_________________
Have fun, Monkey around.

-Steve L.

Catalog of over 2500 products for scale modelers - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
Posts: 1272
Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Thank you for that info ModelMonkey!!!!

_________________
Thomas E. Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:51 am
Posts: 27
Hi Steve,
Can you supply the blast hoods for the 5" mounts in 1/96 scale?
David


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: On Gun Mounts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 352
The Navy built guns out of standard components and mixed and matched.

For example, the Mk 28 Mod 2 mount could come with 2 different shields.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:34 pm 
Offline
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Posts: 3568
Location: USA
BB63Missouri wrote:
Hi Steve,
Can you supply the blast hoods for the 5" mounts in 1/96 scale?
David

Hi David,

Yes! Pairs of blast hoods are now available. Link:
https://www.model-monkey.com/product-pa ... cal-mounts

[edit: photos added]


Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-96 Blast Hoods for 5in38 Mounts a.jpg
Model Monkey 1-96 Blast Hoods for 5in38 Mounts a.jpg [ 178.29 KiB | Viewed 464 times ]
Model Monkey 1-96 Blast Hoods for 5in38 Mounts b.jpg
Model Monkey 1-96 Blast Hoods for 5in38 Mounts b.jpg [ 180.29 KiB | Viewed 464 times ]
Model Monkey 1-96 Blast Hoods for 5in38 Mounts c.jpg
Model Monkey 1-96 Blast Hoods for 5in38 Mounts c.jpg [ 141.86 KiB | Viewed 464 times ]
5in-38 blast hood.jpg
5in-38 blast hood.jpg [ 457.07 KiB | Viewed 464 times ]

_________________
Have fun, Monkey around.

-Steve L.

Catalog of over 2500 products for scale modelers - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:51 am
Posts: 27
Thanks Steve.

David


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:27 pm
Posts: 305
Quick question.. I've been watching Aussie Trekkie remodel the bow on his trumpeter 1/200 Iowa. Looks like Trumpeter got the shape of the Bow deck area wrong, (Fo'c'sle)? so Aussie is using the deck plan to reprofile this area. It would appear to my eye that the gun platforms on Iowa are wider than Mo's, or is the hull beneath it skinnier? No doubt Trumpeter used the same parts for both kits?

So, is the bow skinnier and/or is the gun platform wider?

He is using profiles from the AOTS book. Are these profiles accurate

thanks

_________________
Regards

Nigel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 2857
Iowa Up close and personal. Iowa (BB-61) inside floating dry-dock ABSD-2, 28 December 1944 http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016141.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/61a.htm

Missouri Bow view looking aft from inboard end of drydock http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016338.jpg
Port side of upper bow looking inboard from side of drydock. http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016311a.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/63a.htm


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:27 pm
Posts: 305
DavidP wrote:
Iowa Up close and personal. Iowa (BB-61) inside floating dry-dock ABSD-2, 28 December 1944 http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016141.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/61a.htm

Missouri Bow view looking aft from inboard end of drydock http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016338.jpg
Port side of upper bow looking inboard from side of drydock. http://navsource.org/archives/01/063/016311a.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/63a.htm


Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query David.. I feel quite stupid now.. however, I have been looking through some built model pics and found that the Missouri models I've seen don't have the "overhang" on the gun platforms, yet clearly the beautiful pics you have linked above do show that both ships had, to the naked eye, identical Bows?

So, are certain kits incorrect? Was there a change to this area during Mo and Iowas' long careers? I will obviously do a lot of research before I start my build, but for now I'm a little confused.

Edit:- It would appear that there are just inaccurate models out there?

Nige

_________________
Regards

Nigel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 2857
originally, they did not have those bow tubs as built. take a look at the links & you'll see no bow tubs when launched.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:27 pm
Posts: 305
DavidP wrote:
originally, they did not have those bow tubs as built. take a look at the links & you'll see no bow tubs when launched.


Thanks David, I saw that earlier. The issue I have is that there are models where the bow tub is blended into, or the same profile in plan view as the hull. I think I have now worked out that at some point in her career, post 50's Mo had the wide tub removed and the sheet metalwork was faired into the hull, hence my confusion.

I have ordered the AOTS book and already have the brilliant Iowa class battleships by Robert Sumrall. I need to start some research I think...

_________________
Regards

Nigel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan Banks, JerodTek and 20 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group